PDA

View Full Version : Advice Needed for Paint for garage floor

yugenpillay
11th April 2005, 10:12 AM
I need advice on a good paint to use for a garage floor that is concrete.

Thanks

simon c
11th April 2005, 10:24 AM
I need advice on a good paint to use for a garage floor that is concrete.

Thanks
It depends a bit on the traffic that will go through the garage, but any concrete paving paint should be OK. I used whiteknight ultrapave which is a water based paving paint and it looks great although I only use the garage as a workshop and don't put the car in there. With water based paint and a roller on a stick it was a really easy job.

Note that if the concrete has been sealed, you will need to mechanically remove the seal (and also remove any oil/grease) to get the paint to stick. You also need to etch the concrete with acid. The instructions are on the side of the can.

bitingmidge
11th April 2005, 10:32 AM
With paving paint (as opposed to epoxy which will cost substantially more) be prepared to have the paint lift on the spots where the car wheels park.

This is caused by heat from the tyres, so it can be prevented by never putting the car away when the tyres are warm, :rolleyes: or putting a small rubber mat in the four wheel spots. I know it sounds dicky, but you do park within inches of the same spot every time. My parents use carpet squares from a sample swatch.

Etching is everything!

Cheers,

P

Theremin
11th April 2005, 01:51 PM
We used Berger Jet Dry Heavy Duty, which only comes in 4 colours and is sold by Dulux. You can get more colours if you don't get the Heavy Duty version. We don't worry about the heat from the tyres and it hasn't lifted yet. When we had a builder in to do some work he was dragging timber etc. across it and I though I'd probably have to repaint it, but it was fine. There were a few marks but I was able to get these off with a scrubbing brush and some detergent. Even scrubbing hard with a stiff brush didn't lift the paint. Very impressed but, as with all painting, preparation is everything.