PDA

View Full Version : Don't you just love....

gus3049
29th December 2012, 01:41 PM
....this time of year?

Its knock out loads of stock for when our local gallery opens in the spring. Its mostly the small cheap stuff to flog to the casual tourist during the summer. Not always much fun but the occasional piece surprises and says 'keep me'.

This little pear bowl is so simple but for once, I have the inner curve flawless and it just asks to be picked up. I may struggle to part with it so, as there is no room one the one set of shelves I am allowed to inhabit, something else might have to go:~

artme
29th December 2012, 02:34 PM
Nice collection there Gus!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

That bowl sure has some beautiful grain, pear wood tends to be pretty stuphph.

Maybe my eye is deceiving me but it looks to me as if the bottom of the bowl is much thicker than the walls.

BobL
29th December 2012, 03:39 PM
....this time of year?

Usually yes, but we are having 9 days in a row over the old 100F mark and the air con in the shed is having trouble coping . . . ..

Anyway that aside, your stuff looks great and it's nice to see someone is being productive.

gus3049
29th December 2012, 07:56 PM
Nice collection there Gus!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

That bowl sure has some beautiful grain, pear wood tends to be pretty stuphph.

Maybe my eye is deceiving me but it looks to me as if the bottom of the bowl is much thicker than the walls.

As if.....consider your eye duly deceived:D Its the grain init?

gus3049
29th December 2012, 07:59 PM
Usually yes, but we are having 9 days in a row over the old 100F mark and the air con in the shed is having trouble coping . . . ..

Anyway that aside, your stuff looks great and it's nice to see someone is being productive.

Just a little warmer than we have it here then. I have natural air con in my workshop - of the howling gale variety.

chuck1
29th December 2012, 11:07 PM
thats a solid effort!!well done!

dr4g0nfly
30th December 2012, 06:32 AM
Gus,

Fruit woods are some of my Favourites and your bowl is a classic example of why, the grain and finish it takes is great.

We even recognise some of your earlier postings on the table.

Christos
31st December 2012, 07:14 PM
I like the little bowl. The piece that I had lying around had all been given away by the better half just a few days ago. Just need to make more. :)

gus3049
31st December 2012, 07:28 PM
I like the little bowl. The piece that I had lying around had all been given away by the better half just a few days ago. Just need to make more. :)

Aha, another one huh??

"but you can always make another one!!"

No matter how much I explain that each piece is unique................:~

BobL
31st December 2012, 09:25 PM
Just a little warmer than we have it here then. I have natural air con in my workshop - of the howling gale variety.

Sure could use some of that here.

Here's todays Temp profile for Perth.
http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=247604&stc=1

Only a 41C max but over 6.5 hours of it being over the old 100F mark made it a long day.
Fortunately the RH was very low so it was not quite as bad as it seems.

My day started out at 6 am with an appointment with the retic on the front verge (more cars running over over an breaking sprinklers). It turned out to be more than broken sprinklers - cracked pipe right near the road. Just to make it an easy job the verge soil is riddled with bluemetal, rock and bits of building rubble. Then around 8:30 am I retired to the air con shed for a few repairs etc but called it a day at 10:30 am.

Jonzjob
2nd January 2013, 07:12 AM
Gordon, that's a lovely little bowl. I too love fruit woods and cherry, cerresier or merriesier, wild or cultivated, are lovely to work and see.

As far as being unique? Just remember that you to are unique, just like everyone else :?

As an average of te tempratures between up 'ere an down there it's about reet init already my boy. About 20ºC :D