PDA

View Full Version : Moreton fish ash slab bed

dan_tom
11th April 2005, 02:26 PM
Hi everyone

Well here is my latest project - a bed for the guest bedroom. The slabs are moreton fig ash I was told (from Mackay) and the posts are just 4x2 hardwood that I biscuit joined together- timber from Reverse Garbage in West End. They sell all sorts of timber down there for those woodies that live in Brisbane - $1.50/kg (got some tassie oak boards too). Good karma timber.

The slats are hardwood decking timber, nothing too flash. I routered out a rebate for each slat to sit nicely in, so that any movement didn't mean that the guest would come crashing to the floor.

This was meant to be my Easte project....a little late.

It weighs an absolute tonne, needed my hubbie to give me a hand to bring it upstairs! I finished it with Organoil danish oil, which is a product that I haven't used before - pretty happy with the result - the timber comes up a really nice chocolate brown.

Now to dress it up with some fancy linen and pillows, ready for the inlaws next month...

Cheers
Dan

namtrak
11th April 2005, 04:28 PM
That looks great Dani, your putting everyone to shame here. I still have a christmas hangover!

Different
11th April 2005, 05:11 PM
Dan it looks good to me the timber also looks a bit like Burdekin Plum.

Ross

Harry72
11th April 2005, 09:22 PM
Looks like the visiting inlaws are going to get a good nights sleep, well done.

dan_tom
13th April 2005, 10:03 AM
Attached are some more photos - this time of the bed made up. I did a typo in the last post - it was meant to read FIG ash, not fish ash - must have been slurring....
Interesting that you might think it is burdekin plum - didn't seem to have the same characteristics - that's why I am posting some more close ups of the wood to show you.
Sorry they are sideways, don't have the software at work to switch them around...
Cheers
Dan

DPB
13th April 2005, 01:33 PM
Nice work. Only one question: How do you get the bed to hang on the wall like that?:D