PDA

View Full Version : First Bowlish turning.

Pilchard
31st December 2012, 01:16 PM
Not sure what happened to the first shot, must have clicked on a funny angle:B

First attempt at a bowl, had a few issues tear out etc, flat sides inside, havent progressed to rolled edges yet.

critique welcome and apreciated to help me improve on future work.

Qld Maple. finished with Gilly cabinet wax.

http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww317/deanrounsley/DSCF3116_zps76258ef7.jpg

http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww317/deanrounsley/DSCF3117_zpsabd590ba.jpg

torchwood
31st December 2012, 01:24 PM
Wow! That's a beauty, stunning grain as well.:2tsup:

wheelinround
31st December 2012, 01:34 PM
Nice shape, nice grain, nice finish.

Whats the wood?

Pilchard
31st December 2012, 03:11 PM
QLD Maple, its an off cut from the cofee table im building. Its 190mm round by 50mm deep. I got a bit impatient to see what the table was going to come up like so turned this up. I have enough left over for 3-4 more bowls and some spindles to play with as well.

The rolling flash from the fiddleback is truly beautiful.

cheers

artme
31st December 2012, 05:27 PM
Noice!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Any leftovers of that QM can be sent to me!!!:D

Pilchard
1st January 2013, 01:45 AM
Noice!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Any leftovers of that QM can be sent to me!!!:D

PM send RE: off cuts.

Its surprising what you can do with a 1" gouge and 1" skew that stay sharp while your using them. Thanks Ben. It's opened up a whole new world of turning for me. I couldn't actually believe how much easier/nicer it was to use good tools, roughing was so much quicker, wood came away in nice long curls etc. and done on a lathe worth less than $100 new with no chucks, just a bowl plate that screws on to the drive shaft. I had to glue a block on the bottom to drill the plate into and then separate with a dodgy parting tool but I'm pretty happy with the result. Thanks for the likes guys, it's apreciated and maybe means I'm not completely bastedising the timber:D

Paul39
1st January 2013, 04:54 AM
PM send RE: off cuts.

Its surprising what you can do with a 1" gouge and 1" skew that stay sharp while your using them. Thanks Ben. It's opened up a whole new world of turning for me. I couldn't actually believe how much easier/nicer it was to use good tools, roughing was so much quicker, wood came away in nice long curls etc. and done on a lathe worth less than $100 new with no chucks, just a bowl plate that screws on to the drive shaft. I had to glue a block on the bottom to drill the plate into and then separate with a dodgy parting tool but I'm pretty happy with the result. Thanks for the likes guys, it's apreciated and maybe means I'm not completely bastedising the timber:D

Proof again that one does not need a bazillion $$$ to make good turnings. What you did was standard practice in the 1970s and earlier.

All the wonderous stuff available now just makes turning faster and more convenient, but not necessarily better.

Beautiful bowl!!!

Mobyturns
1st January 2013, 07:20 AM
Not bad! If you can get that sort of finish on the curly grain in compression wood in Qld Maple you are not doing much wrong at all. It can be a real PIA. I like the contrast of the finished piece sitting atop the greyed seasoned stock.

dr4g0nfly
1st January 2013, 07:57 AM
I agree, you've done that bit of Qld maple proud, what fantastic grain.

Just one comment - cut down of the placement advertising!:;

Drillit
1st January 2013, 10:15 AM
Well - it is to some extent all in the finish and you did an extra good job of that. Drillit.

Wood Nut
1st January 2013, 11:26 AM
:)What a stunning piece of Qld maple - very jealous. An interesting shape and a fantastic first attempt. Be careful to remove all burnishing marks/tear out/sanding marks etc before finishing. The quality of finish looks superb. I've seen many good turnings let down by poor finishing or choice of finish. Well done
Paul
:2tsup::2tsup:

orraloon
1st January 2013, 12:21 PM
Very nice bowl :2tsup:.
Regards
John