PDA

View Full Version : My entertainment unit

MrFixIt
11th April 2005, 06:30 PM
Hi

These entertainment units prompted me to show the one I built in upstairs :D
Originally the whole unit was attached to the wall only and supported the (original) tv as well as the rest of the gear. The new Sony 84cm SOLID glass tv was something VERY heavy so, just to be sure, I made some little "legs" to supoort the front ot the tv part of the unit. Though the joints are glued and screwed I am sure it would have sagged over time.

Prior to these "legs" I did tell SWMBO to NOT kneel on the cabinet to clean the shelves etc - she didn't listen and the shelves even supported her weight.

As you can see in the second photo, all the stereo etc slides out to ease making the electical/audio/vidoe connections. (The tv is fixed in position)
BTW notice the bracketless shelves on the wall :D

Kev Y.
11th April 2005, 06:59 PM
Very impressive.

What is the timber used ?

MrFixIt
11th April 2005, 07:26 PM
Hi

Very impressive.

What is the timber used ?
Solid pine throughout.

It was lightly stained with a "thinned" cedar stain. I needed to try and match the "aged" pine panelling at the opposite end of the room. The pine panelling was installed by the builder when the home was originally built 6 years before we moved in and I built the unit.

Dan
11th April 2005, 08:05 PM
What's the big white box to the right of the TV?

Harry72
11th April 2005, 09:15 PM
Looks good Pete.
Do you ever get a sore neck watching the tv with it that low to the floor?

Different
11th April 2005, 11:06 PM
Very professional looking job and I really like the way it works in with the shelves above.

Ross

Starter Button
11th April 2005, 11:17 PM
Attractive & functional unit. How are the shelves attached to the wall?

H

Stubchain
12th April 2005, 05:20 PM
It looks great but what happens if you need a new TV, the opening looks pretty tight for the equipment, do you have heat problems with air flow.

MrFixIt
12th April 2005, 06:13 PM
Hi
What's the big white box to the right of the TV?It's a gas heater. The burner is fully enclosed and the heated air is blown out through the vent at the bottom of the front "panel".

(I used to work with gas heaters/appliances, so I am aware of clearances needed etc)

MrFixIt
12th April 2005, 06:18 PM
Hi

Looks good Pete.
Do you ever get a sore neck watching the tv with it that low to the floor?No, because our seating is a modular foam based cushion on slightly lower bases than most "lounge suites". We sit reasonably well back from the set as it is 84cm size.

I guess we do look slightly down toward the tv, but don't have to bend our necks. :D

MrFixIt
12th April 2005, 06:19 PM
Very professional looking job and I really like the way it works in with the shelves above. Thank you. I presume you realise that I installed the shelves to match the ent' unit.

MrFixIt
12th April 2005, 06:56 PM
Attractive & functional unit. How are the shelves attached to the wall? Hmmm? Now that would be giving away "trade secrets" :D

Simple really, though it requires a little care in installation to keep it level etc.

As the shelf timber is 35mm thick, I drilled a 6mm hole offset (approx 6mm)above the centre of the timber, through the FULL WIDTH of the shelf (ie from the front of the shelf to the back).

I installed several 6mm Loxins into the wall at the same spacing as the holes drilled in the shelves. I then used allthread rod cut to a suitable length.

I counterbored the hole to accept the socket (or was that a tube spanner?) that would drive the 6mm nuts on the allthread. I used two nuts at the outer edge of the allthread to provide a lock nut so as to turn the allthread into the Loxin, NOT the nut at the outer end of the allthread.

I placed several thick washers in front of (behind?) the nuts to help prevent / absorb some compression of the wood. Compression of the wood in this kind of installation is unavoidable as the timber needs to be held tight against the wall and of course the Loxin has to be pulled tight.

The use of several washers allowed the nut to be pulled tight without it being buried in the timber. The washers were squashed into the timber, but this was "by design" :D

(The larger hole was drilled first of course, followed by the 6mm through hole).

The small offset ABOVE the shelf centreline helps provide a little extra "leverage" to prevent the shelf from drooping at the front.

When the shelves were completely installed and the Loxins tight, I plugged the holes in the front of the timber with matching timber plugs (cut from a similar piece of timber)

The shelves are still just as tight ater 19years :D

Of course the original inspiration for this type of installation was propmted by SWMBO who DIDN'T want "vertical" or other VISIBLE brackets. After so many years of requesting somtimes the impossible, she knows I'll create just what she wants :D

I do like a challenge :D and SWMBO hasn't stumped me yet :D

MrFixIt
12th April 2005, 07:10 PM
Hi
It looks great but what happens if you need a new TV, the opening looks pretty tight for the equipment, do you have heat problems with air flow.BTDT (been there done that :D).

I originally made the space for the tv substantially larger than our original tv for just that reason. However I did not expect to go to that 84cm size :D.

I did have to route away 1cm from each side frame (either side of the tv) to cater for this tv. I also had to extend the tv shelf at the front by 75mm.

Air circulation was improved by drilling 4 75mm holes in both side panels (one panel on each side of the tv). There is already provision for air circulation for other parts of the cabinet as there is no bottom panel as such. Each "component" is supported on a "frame" this frame is like a drawer without a bottom. The frames have two battens on the top, positioned to allow the components to rest on their own feet. This provides for maximum air flow. To help where the tv is located I cut what WAS a full depth drawer, appox 150mm shorter and drilled additional 75mm holes at the rear of the shelf that supports the tv. So far, though a lot of warm air can be felt at the top of the tv, the air circulation has proved adequate.

Kris.Parker1
12th April 2005, 09:45 PM
Nice job. It certainly looks very good and it looks very functional.

Cheers

Kris

AlexS
12th April 2005, 10:02 PM
Nice job, and thanks for the explanation about the shelves.