PDA

View Full Version : ElectroMagnetic Chuck help needed

PenTurner
4th January 2013, 09:11 AM
I am trying to fault find/repair an industrial Electromagnetic Chuck, and need to have a ball park figure on
A. the resistance of the DC windings? mine measures 157Kohms which I believe to be too much.?!
B. The typical voltage /amps used to Magnetize the unit;
Approximate ballpark figures would be very helpful to diagnose exactly where the problem lies, in the Controller or in the Windings.Thanks in advance to any who could guide me on this. Amos

morrisman
4th January 2013, 11:45 AM
Hi pen turner ..what is the applied voltage to the windings ? Mike

RayG
4th January 2013, 02:53 PM
Hi Amos,

I measure 42 ohms coil resistance ( that's on an Eclipse mag chuck ) I don't know the coil current, but its driven from a 110V ac controller

If your coil is measuring 157K, i'd say it's burnt out. You might be lucky and it's just a poor terminal connection, keep your fingers crossed.

Regards
Ray

PenTurner
4th January 2013, 07:14 PM
Thanks for the advice, I knew that coil resistance should be low, there could be a surge resistor gone high, need to dig thru miles of clear silastic/epoxy to get to connections. PS the voltage applied is 54VDC. Amos:)

PenTurner
5th February 2013, 06:04 PM
If the Electronics Forum had been open when I first posted, then I guess that this post belongs there, so if the moderator wants to move this thread it is ok by me. Meanwhile , back at the coal face.
I went today and started the delicate task of making access to different points and half splitting the Circuit each time until I found where the fault was. I then put in a heavy duty bypass wire. We tested the fix and now it is operational again.
The final fix will be to pump silastic into the dug out parts, and putting the lid back on it. Thanks to those who offered help;:2tsup: ps the ohmage of the coils is approx. 20ohms. Amos:)

Big Shed
5th February 2013, 06:40 PM
So moved:)