PDA

View Full Version : Pyro contribution

Tookawhile
8th January 2013, 02:55 PM
Although a new member to Woodwork Forums, I have been “toying” with timber for a few years, mainly carving and pyrography. As much satisfaction as my chisels offered, and still do from time to time, pyrography provided unexpected challenges. I have enjoyed viewing other members’ offerings and the resulting encouraging responses. To support the pyrography stream of the forum I am providing two of my works on jacaranda.

Tookawhile
8th January 2013, 03:58 PM
Somehow the fishing picture did not go through as a full size so I am trying again248673

artme
9th January 2013, 09:20 AM
:o:o Brilliant work there Tookawhile!!:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

I love the wrinkled face and the expression in the eyes of the drinker.
Drinking cool water from a battered billy sure brings back memories.

David Stanley
9th January 2013, 02:07 PM
Very Well drawn and rendered work. Thanks for showing.

vk4
9th January 2013, 06:27 PM
Your work is excellent, I love the BUSHY drinking from a billy.

Hope to see some more of your efforts, you should show these.

Jeff
vk4

Jonzjob
10th January 2013, 08:12 AM
I have been playing with pyro for years now, but it never stops me from being so impressed by what people can do by burning a bit of wood!

There are some seriously talented and underestimated people on here. The first captures a mood, the second looked second rate until I put it full size and then it really shows up to full potential and detail.

Both great and thank you for showing us!

Red Gum
11th January 2013, 07:49 AM
That is really fine detail detail of the bush bloke. I like the Australian theme that is coming through.

Great work

John

quatro-2007
12th January 2013, 11:57 AM
well done Tookawhile I knew there was more to pyro:2tsup::2tsup:

Red Gum
12th January 2013, 04:08 PM
I would just like to make a positive comment about "just a piece of wood" I have been doing wood work of one sort or another for most of my life. (that's over 70 birthdays now) Many people have commented one way or another "just a piece of wood" on things I have made such as in wood turning.

Now that I'm into pyography I'm finding that no two pieces of wood are the same even though they might be from the same tree. As a result when I start burning I find the grain requires a different way of burning as in heat setting, direction of the burn what nib to use and many other variables. The challenge is there to be met and it isn't known until you start and move from one part of the project to another.

Just recently I was doing a project with shrubs in front of a building. To my surprise there was an unnoticed change in grain. The result was that I got another depth into my shrubs that did good things for what I was doing.
It was an unexpected bonus for me. ( I will be putting this job on the forum when I get it finished)

If I wanted a nice even surface to work on I would go back to pencil drawing on a nice piece of paper.

It amazes me to see what a change of nib and different heat settings can bring out. When I think about people who paint using colour for what they want but with pyography it is burnt wood

I hope I haven't offended by my comments but it has just brought to light what has been in my mind for a long time.

The work showing on the forum is very good even though there are varying degrees of expertise showing up. We all have to start somewhere. I wonder who will judge us when we get the so called perfection stage.

John

Tookawhile
15th January 2013, 09:51 AM
Many thanks to those people who commented on my initial "pyro contribution".

Whether you are an experienced burner or someone just starting out on an enjoyable but sometimes frustrating venture, the two pictures I submitted are examples of a softer touch burning with the other representing a darker type of picture using the same pen/nib but at a higher temperature. I'm a little lazy and try to do my work with just the one fixed nib pen if possible.

I look forward to viewing future works from like minded pyrographers.

Tookawhile

kamusur
15th January 2013, 11:13 PM
Very nice work indeed Tooksie :2tsup:

Steve

kcam
12th February 2013, 06:45 PM
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup: Hey, Tookawhile photos don't do justice to your work. Brilliant stuff !! It took me a while to pick up on your thread.....Cheers Kerry

Drillit
13th February 2013, 10:34 AM
Hello Tookawhile,
Just brilliant. I have been woodburning for years. Started off as a kid at school doing
woodwork, heating up a nail held in a wooden handle over a bunsen burner. Anyways
lately at our men's shed, we have a lady who now teaches us pyrography every
second Saturday. It is a really good skill to add to the collection , particularly for me & wood turning
(and probably many others). I now have a razior tip collection and it is just terrific. Thought I
would share that. One thing I have done is to use watercolours on the piece after burning. Good fun. Drillit.

Ruddy
15th February 2013, 08:18 PM
Tookawhile...........your work is stunning. That is a superb talent to have....
Thank you for posting.

Tookawhile
1st April 2013, 10:21 AM
To those people who have commented since 15 January on my couple of pictures, many thanks for your kind words. Hoping to see more people contributing to this site. We all need encouragement.

Kay