PDA

View Full Version : Hello all

rab3rd
12th April 2005, 11:02 PM
Wow! So many Forums, so little time. I wasnt sure which one to start with to introduce myself. I am a turner (as well as a few other things) so I figured this would be a good place. How is everything downunder? Skys are big and blue here in south east Texas this morning.

rsser
12th April 2005, 11:10 PM
Welcome rab3rd ( you need to tell us what this means).

Yep, big skies down under here too.

So feel free to introduce yourself .. the kinds of turnings you do, where your work is heading, what your latest insight into turning is.

rab3rd
12th April 2005, 11:21 PM
Welcome rab3rd ( you need to tell us what this means).

Yep, big skies down under here too.

So feel free to introduce yourself .. the kinds of turnings you do, where your work is heading, what your latest insight into turning is.

Well thanks for the welcome. As far as the rab3rd goes, Robert Adair Brown III (rab3rd). I am a new turner. I started a little over a year ago. I like to turn anything from pens to hollow forms. I dont have a "specialty" as of yet. Lately it seems I have been turning lots of little lidded boxes. Fast fun projects that I can do in a fairly short amount of time. I dont get nearly as much shop time as I wold like, but then who does.

Turning is an evil vortex with no bottom, if you look over the edge, its too late. Sucked in you will be.

rab3rd
13th April 2005, 12:56 AM
Here is a picture of the last thing I turned. Its spalted maple burl. 7" x 3.5". Finished with CA and buffed. I did this two weeks ago. I try to turn something every weekend. This last weekend I was picking up and installing my new band saw,so nothing turned.

http://www.turningwoodstudios.com/Maple%20Burl%201.JPG

Cliff Rogers
13th April 2005, 01:29 AM
I've heard of using buffed CA as a finish but I'd never seen it done.

Looks good but I'd never get it past the BOSS 'cos she is very verY veRY vERY VERY anti chemicals of any sort..... she'd smell it a mile away.

Still, it's a nice looking piece.

What or who or how did you get led to use buffed CA as a finish?

rab3rd
13th April 2005, 01:52 AM
I've heard of using buffed CA as a finish but I'd never seen it done.

Looks good but I'd never get it past the BOSS 'cos she is very verY veRY vERY VERY anti chemicals of any sort..... she'd smell it a mile away.

Still, it's a nice looking piece.

What or who or how did you get led to use buffed CA as a finish?
It is commonly used by pen turners as a finish. It is used on such because it offers a finish that wont wear off. The truth being told I used the CA to stablize the burl because it was very soft. The bark inclusion was as soft as pudding before I started. I had to put CA on the entire bowl before I could make my final cuts. Its the first time I ever used CA on something so large. It took about 1.5 oz's to get the piece hard. I'm happy with the way it turned out. Thanks for the compliment.

Kev Y.
13th April 2005, 02:19 PM
welcome aboard, I hope you enjoy your time here

Love the latest project of yours, keep up the good work and dont forget to show it off here.