PDA

View Full Version : Lathe Questions?????

DPB
13th April 2005, 11:54 AM
What can you tell me about the Durden L500? Is this a decent starter lathe? How does is compare to the MC900? I understand that parts are no longer available for this model. Should this be a concern?

DPB
14th April 2005, 09:53 AM
Still hoping for a response.:(

Christopha
14th April 2005, 10:22 AM
Pressed steel bed which will flex if not on a good stand, not a very large swing, reasonable quality of manufacture for its' vintage. They always were pretty much a 'starter' machine. Given the range of good cheap machines presently available brand new I wouldn't be paying any more than about $100 for the Durden...

(Hells Bells, I hope I am remembering the right lathe!!!! :eek: )

hooppine
14th April 2005, 12:15 PM
No I don't think that is the right lathe. The Durden now is cast iron but the one mentioned is now out of production. It might be worthwhile to check with
axmill.com.au which is the site I found when I searched for this lathe and follow through to see if you can stil get parts

Happy Hunting
Larry

hooppine
14th April 2005, 12:16 PM
Sorry that should be axmell.com.au

DPB
14th April 2005, 01:51 PM
The reason I asked about this lathe is because there is one on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4372537144&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

The starting price is $400, but no one has bid yet. It also includes two chisel sets, one an 8 piece set, the other a six piece. I suspect one is a starter set and the other an improved set.

Would any of you bid for this item?;)

smidsy
14th April 2005, 10:23 PM
Those chisels look like the elcheapo mini sets that bunnings sell and for me add zero value to the lathe.

My opinion would be that $400 is way too much - for about $350 you can get an MC900 which is variable speed, a stand, a warranty and a known quantity in terms of both spares and support.

I wouldn't pay more than $200 for that lathe.

If you decide to bid on it at least make sure the head and tail stock have morse tapers otherwise spur drives and live centres will be expensive and hard to get.

The lack of parts should definately be a concern because you could end up with a paper weight for want of a small part.

Comparison to the MC900? To me there is no comparison.

Sorry for the bad news but do yourself a favour and get the MC900.
Cheers
Paul

DPB
15th April 2005, 08:41 AM
Thanks, Paul.

I won't be bidding on this item.