PDA

View Full Version : yew tealight holder

Ad de Crom
10th January 2013, 11:36 PM
This yew tealight was meant for Christmas, but I was too late for many reasons.
Nonetheless, if someone want to have it, he or she can have it.
This tealight is 140mm tall.
Cheers, Ad

dr4g0nfly
11th January 2013, 04:36 AM
Ad,

I'm having an ounce of trouble with this.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the turning, finish or shape, that's all well executed as all you work is, but it's the design concept.

It seems too tall for something as small as a Tea-Light.

Then again maybe that's how you have them in the Netherlands and it's just me looking in that can't see it through your eyes and I am sure others will see it differently again.

Ad de Crom
11th January 2013, 05:14 AM
Dragonfly, I understand your point of view.
It stands now in the living room of my lady next door, oh well, maybe a matter of taste.
Ad

gus3049
11th January 2013, 07:41 AM
Dragonfly, I understand your point of view.
It stands now in the living room of my lady next door, oh well, maybe a matter of taste.
Ad

Everything is a matter of taste!!

I tend to think of this as a short candlestick!!. But as you have given it a good wide base, I'm sure it will be very stable and practical.

Strangely bland looking yew!!! I always expect to see a huge contrast between the sap and the heartwood.

joe greiner
12th January 2013, 01:16 AM
It displays close to full size on my monitor, and I don't think it's too tall. But I don't think the base needs to be that large for stability. I'd suggest remounting with a jam chuck and tailstock support, and reducing the base from (apparent) 120mm to about 90mm (approximate height of the bowl).

And add a Fibonacci gauge to your tool set.:wink:

Cheers,
Joe

Roger C
12th January 2013, 01:55 AM
Hi Ad we meet again I to think it a bit hi for a tea light but to each his own. The Fibonacci gauge don't wast your money we are living in the 21st century and IMHO the quicker we leave all this nonsense of 1/3 the better. Regards Roger C