PDA

View Full Version : Table Saws

littlelumber16
13th April 2005, 02:19 PM
hey its little lumber22 ummm i am getting a table saw from hare&forbes i am wondering if i need any info or wat types of brands or buy a triton workbench

Iain
13th April 2005, 02:26 PM
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
If you is getting one from Hafco why do you need further information?

littlelumber16
13th April 2005, 02:31 PM
thanks for the info

silentC
13th April 2005, 02:58 PM
Don't buy a Hare & Forbes, they have sharp blades and you might cut your fingers off. Get a GMC mate, good stuff.

Iain
13th April 2005, 03:02 PM
That is not true, I put mine on backwards and no problems with cuts....

Groggy
13th April 2005, 03:33 PM
That is not true, I put mine on backwards and no problems with cuts....

I only put my blade on backwards to join the wood back together...

numbat
13th April 2005, 04:01 PM
Most people on this board think that the TSC-10-HB saw http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=15904 available from Carbatec or Timbecon is a good value saw.

Perhaps you should do a bit of research on this forum before asking such a wide question.

Cheers

Eastie
13th April 2005, 04:09 PM
Do your research and find a 10 inch TS that''ll take a 12 inch blade when fully lowered. Once installed, raise the blade - making sure you're in line with the blade and looking really closely at the blade while you do it.

It's best to remove the guards whilst doing this for the first time......

Gumby
13th April 2005, 04:17 PM
From all the info gathered in these forums, you'll find that without breaking the budget, the TSC-10-HB comes out on top for value. And I'm a Triton guy - but having said that, if I could justify the expense (and maybe one day soon I might :D ) I'd convert and have one of these in my shop.

There are a few good deals around at the moment, particularly from Carba-tec in QLD who have given the Victorians a special deal until they open a new store down here. :)

graemecarson
13th April 2005, 04:18 PM
Cruel, cruel, cruel....but I why can't I stop laughing? We should rename this the Wit Work Forum...it's beautiful.

silentC
13th April 2005, 04:19 PM
Yeah, but will they sell a tablesaw to a minor?

bitingmidge
13th April 2005, 04:27 PM
Yeah, but will they sell a tablesaw to a minor?

You're probably right, littlelumber16, I suggest you take Eastie's advice while it's still in the showroom.

P
:D :D :D

Groggy
13th April 2005, 04:52 PM
From all the info gathered in these forums, you'll find that without breaking the budget, the TSC-10-HB comes out on top for value.
Perhaps, though value has a time component. I bought the TC-12 and believe it is a better saw. It certainly hurt more to buy it, but the pain is slowly being replaced by a warm glow. In a year or so the pain will be gone and the saw will remain; there will only be the nagging reminder that lives in the kitchen.

(Did I mention a huge sliding table with dead-on accuracy?:D :D )

Gumby
13th April 2005, 04:58 PM
Perhaps, though value has a time component. I bought the TC-12 and believe it is a better saw. It certainly hurt more to buy it, but the pain is slowly being replaced by a warm glow. In a year or so the pain will be gone and the saw will remain; there will only be the nagging reminder that lives in the kitchen.

(Did I mention a huge sliding table with dead-on accuracy?:D :D )

I know what you mean but where do we stop? We always seem to go 'just that bit extra' and buy something a bit more expensive than we set out to do initially.

It's like a food chain. XU1 at the bottom, GMC, B&D & Ryobi just above them, Bosch & Metabo next step up, Makita, De Walt and then at the top............TRITON :D :D :D

DanP
13th April 2005, 05:09 PM
Then you get off the toy food chain and into the real machinery food chain.

Groggy
13th April 2005, 05:16 PM
I know what you mean but where do we stop? We always seem to go 'just that bit extra' and buy something a bit more expensive than we set out to do initially. They say everyone has a different threshold of pain and it is true.

I had a Triton, tried a Felder, and settled for the TC-12. My TS was bought by savings made from 2 years of none smoking (another 7 years and a Felder would have been mine).

Never try a Felder machine folks, it'll ruin your satisfaction with your current tools :(

In my estimate though Gumby, those who don't go 'just that bit extra' usually harbour some regret - at least I do. If I make myself suffer a bit initially I usually treat the tool better and remain happier longer.

I hereby call it the Makita-Ozito Syndrome (MOS) (TM). ie - to put the MOS on a purchase...;)

Iain
13th April 2005, 05:33 PM
Getting serious, the first post states (I think) that we have purchased a tablesaw from H&F, having said that why would we be asking questions about other saws and purchasing a Try Toon, or have I missed something?
When I was working last year our little wanker of a sales manager, who always had to have bigger and better, announced that he was getting a Triton, he knew that I had a tablesaw but obviously had no idea as to how big or heavy they were as he talked about bolting this orange thing to the floor so it wouldn't move, like mine would :D :D :D

Sturdee
13th April 2005, 05:40 PM
From all the info gathered in these forums, you'll find that without breaking the budget, the TSC-10-HB comes out on top for value. And I'm a Triton guy - but having said that, if I could justify the expense (and maybe one day soon I might :D ) I'd convert and have one of these in my shop.

As a long time Triton user and recent convert :D to the TSC10HB I would say do it, and do it as soon as possible while the special CT deal is on, you won't regret it.

Peter.

Gumby
13th April 2005, 05:59 PM
Getting serious, the first post states (I think) that we have purchased a tablesaw from H&F, having said that why would we be asking questions about other saws and purchasing a Try Toon, or have I missed something?

He said he was getting one from H&F and then asked for inout as to which sort or even a Triton. I agree, it's a bit confusing but I've taken it as not a done deal yet.

Eastie
13th April 2005, 06:10 PM
You're probably right, littlelumber16, I suggest you take Eastie's advice while it's still in the showroom.
P
:D :D :DThat wasn't advice - it was merely a suggestion. Advice = Recommendation, and the only recommendation I make is 'don't follow my suggestions without due consideration'. I simply bring ideas before people for consideration. Some of these ideas are good - others are somewhat sadistic.

The results of said suggestion would certainly be interesting.......

Eastie the Sadist.

Kev Y.
13th April 2005, 06:51 PM
what a group of grumpy old men we are today, another new user and not a single welcome from any of you :(

Welcome littlelumber16 (or 22), I think if you re-phrase your querie you may get a bit better response, If you are wondering as to if you should but a table saw OR a Triton, then you should go with the Triton untill it no longer meets your requirements.

THEN when the time is right, do a search through the archives and you will no doubt find a long and exhaustive debate on this subject.

I, for what its worth, have just gone from the Triton up to a TS-250 table saw from Timbecon.

bitingmidge
13th April 2005, 06:52 PM
The results of said suggestion would certainly be interesting.......

I stand corrected! Do you think we should ask H&F to erect a shower curtain round it's floor stock just in case??

P (Concerned for the cleaning staff)

:D :D :D

bitingmidge
13th April 2005, 06:54 PM
what a group of grumpy old men we are today, another new user and not a single welcome from any of you :(

Not at all dear Brudda, dear littlelumber16 was given a particularly hearty WWF welcome on the GMC thread!

Cheers,

P :D :D

Kev Y.
13th April 2005, 06:57 PM
Midge.. I am attempting to come to the defence of a fellow gippslandier :D ;)

Gumby
13th April 2005, 07:24 PM
He doesn't need much of a welcome. He's already had one post deleted for being abusive. Not bad since he's only been here 5 minutes ! :eek:

DanP
13th April 2005, 07:30 PM
Try three posts deleted out of five. Good effort that. Maybe it's Ken (mil) in disguise. :eek:

Dan

Eastie
13th April 2005, 07:35 PM
Don't be so hard on Ken - a number of his contributions were quite good

Sturdee
13th April 2005, 07:48 PM
Not at all dear Brudda, dear littlelumber16 was given a particularly hearty WWF welcome on the GMC thread!

Cheers,

P :D :D

Midge, was that littlelumber22 posting under littlelumber16's name that was hearty welcomed or was that littlelumber16 itself ? :eek: No matter both are wankers. :p

Peter.

DanP
13th April 2005, 07:49 PM
Eastie,

I fully agree with you and I think Ken was a bit hard done by in getting banned. You'll find that I was one of the ones to back Ken up regularly. I thought his straight shooting style was refreshing in this day and age of PC bullshyte. Now I refuse to get into a debate about the pros and cons of Ken so don't even start you lot.

Dan

Sturdee
13th April 2005, 07:51 PM
Don't be so hard on Ken - a number of his contributions were quite good

Yes the board is not quite the same without Kenmill and ofcourse Doorstop. :D :D :D

BTW Dan, I think Ken spit the dummy and left, I don't think he was banned as such.

Peter.

DanP
13th April 2005, 08:21 PM
Bit of both I think. Probably more of a dummy spit than anything.

Dan

Sir Stinkalot
13th April 2005, 09:22 PM
I think it unfortunate that Ken left .....

I think the original poster is yanking the chain .... it is school holidays.