PDA

View Full Version : East Midland Bobbin making

Jenny Brandis
13th April 2005, 07:31 PM
I would like to buy a lathe to make East Midland bobbins for bobbin lace making (see http://www.vansciverbobbinlace.com/4Bob_E.html#Top%20of%20BobbinsE for pictures of what they are) but have no idea of what to buy, where or how much to pay. All advice would be welcome.:confused:

DanP
13th April 2005, 08:11 PM
Jenny,

If Lace Bobbins are all you are going to turn I would get a Mini Lathe. Here's a couple of links.

Carbatec (http://www.gtp.com.au/cgi-bin/icommerce3/order/formclassic.cgi?file=woodstock&display=424&id=MCE300)

And:

Timbecon (http://www.timbecon.com.au/details/mini-lathe-12604.aspx)

If you are going to turn bigger items as well I would get the MC900, available from both of the above for a very reasonable price.

Dan

Jenny Brandis
13th April 2005, 09:03 PM
What about a GMC ML1000? at $69.00 in Perth, even allowing for hefty freight it is affordable. But will it do the job?

And then comes the next question - what tools will I need?

Jenny

echnidna
13th April 2005, 11:53 PM
Its a cheap lathe but its quite adequate for small things like the bobbins.
It needs mounting on a solid bench or an old cupboard etc

DanP
14th April 2005, 12:06 AM
Jenny, I had a GMC and wouldn't recommend it to anyone. It's too hard to get decent attachments to fit it. The available chuck is rubbish and basically useless. If it's all you can afford then so be it but if you can afford better then get better. I dont think the GMC would be accurate enough for something as fine as a lace bobbin.

Dan

gatiep
14th April 2005, 02:13 AM
Jenny

Quite frankly you'll be wasting your time with the $69-00 lathe for reasons already mentioned plus heaps more I can think of. My recommendation would be a Delta Midi lathe or a Carbatec MC900, my preference for what you want to do is Delta, then MC900, then almost any other late, then the $69-00 one.

To turn those bobbins you need high speed and accuracy in the build. The reason for the high speed is that the smaller the diameter of the wood you're turning, the higher it must turn to get a reasonable amount of wood past the chisel cutting edge. The meters per minute that comes past the cutting edge on a small diameter is less than on a large diameter at the same number of revolutions per minute.
Carbatec in Perth ( www.carbatecwa.com.au (http://www.carbatecwa.com.au) ) offers the Delta Midi at $449-00 as opposed to regular list price of $549-00. The max spindle speed of 3700 rpm is ideal for bobbins.
The MC900 is $379-00 at the moment, does 2500 rpm max, is heavier for freight.Check it out on their web page, remember the wa at the end of carbatec or you'll get the Brissie site.
I can assure you that the $69-00 unit will not be suitable. I've been 'playing' with lathes for over 50 years.
Below is a copy of their webpage
<TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=0 width="95%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=middle rowSpan=5> </TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: left" vAlign=top width=350 colSpan=2> DELTA MIDI LATHE </TD></TR><TR><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: left" vAlign=top width=350 colSpan=2>Precision lathe for small work. Ideal for penmakers or travelling woodturners. A couple who bought one from us are travelling around Australia using the lathe to turn projects wherever they stop to sell and pay for their caravan park costs! What a life.. Centre height 125mm. Distance between centres 368mm. Spindle bore 9.5mm. 500-3700 r.p.m. 1/2 h.p. motor. Optional bed extensions available. 2 year warranty.

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=bottom width=350 colSpan=2>Our Price $449.00 AUD
It may be more what you intend spending, but at least you'll only buy once and save yourself a lot of frustration. I know a few bobbin turners who are happy with the Delta midi, plus its big enough to do some serious turning as well.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

gatiep
14th April 2005, 02:19 AM
Oh, I forgot about question 2. Get a set of 6 Chinese HSS turning tools, for normal turning and roughing down the blanks, usually around $99-00. A lot of the bobbin makers fabricate their own little tools by sharpening almost any thing steel like masonary nails and even allen keys! I hope you don't mind me quoting the prices etc, but I realise that you probably don't have much of a choice in lathes etc in Kununurra, well definately not the choice us Perth-guys have.

Salty
14th April 2005, 10:35 AM
Jenny,
we have a very expert lace bobbin turner in our Club (Woodturners of the Hunter) by the name of Neil Keats. He sells his bobbins right throughout Australia and overseas and has a wealth of expertise in this sub-speciality. If you PM me I can give you Neils contact details. I'm sure he would be only to willing to share his knowledge.

Salty

Ross
14th April 2005, 03:42 PM
I would like to buy a lathe to make East Midland bobbins for bobbin lace making (see http://www.vansciverbobbinlace.com/4Bob_E.html#Top%20of%20BobbinsE for pictures of what they are) but have no idea of what to buy, where or how much to pay. All advice would be welcome.:confused:
Welcome Jenny

I make pens, bobbins and anything small, the lathe I have is the Carbatec mini which does everything I need. Timbacon have a similar lathe that will take an extention and would probably be a better buy at the moment. I think the GMC would be a mistake and a waste of $69.00.

You will also need a set of chisels and a chuck, don't skimp on either - buy good quality.

Check out Malcolm Fieldings workshop at
http://www.southcom.com.au/~malcolmf/mainframe.htm
it will give you some ideas.

Ross

Ankali
14th April 2005, 05:51 PM
Hello Fellow Gumnut

These guys give good advice, the extra outlay is worth it. I haven't been game to try turning bobbins yet despite constant 'encouragement' from the members of my local guild. 'They're easy' may be true for them but!!

Small tools are a definite advantage when turning small diameters - I need the time to turn a handle for my 1/4" spindle gouge, all of my tools are rather larger than necessary for bobbins.

Ankali from Canberra

echnidna
16th April 2005, 09:32 AM
Yet if you go to this thread on the forum there are some good comments about the GMC lathe from happy owners.

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?p=139629#post139629

The biggest problem with this forum is a tendency by some people to rubbish GMC etc, usually because its beneath the perceived ego limit of the critic.

DanP
16th April 2005, 11:38 AM
I own lotsa GMC and think most is good value for money. It is firmly within my ego limit. I have a GMC lathe. IMO it is useless for turning anything accurately. Lace bobbins, due to their fine nature, need a fair degree of rigidty in the lathe. The GMC tailstock is able to be flexed by hand and when in use it can move up to 10mm off line.

There are no decent available accessories and it cost me more than the value of the lathe to get an insert turned for a supernova chuck.

I was the same as those others on that other thread when I first got my GMC, "hey this is ok" But once I got to know a little bit about turning, I started to dislike it. Then I tried o accessorise to improve it and it cost me more than I would have spent on the MC900 which I now have and I'm very happy with.

Dan

Ross
16th April 2005, 06:57 PM
The biggest problem with this forum is a tendency by some people to rubbish GMC etc, usually because its beneath the perceived ego limit of the critic.
Not so Bob!

The GMC is fine for most general turning and learning on but, with small small intricate tems the slightest flex will ruin the job and the GMC lathes I have seen at Bunnings will flex.

Experience has taught me a cast iron bed is the only way to go and the size should be what you want to turn on it both now and in the future. I've never wanted anything larger than my micro lathe but I would like a longer bed which is why I suggested that Jenny look at the Timbacon one.

Ross

Ross
16th April 2005, 07:02 PM
Dan - 99.9% of Media give the rest...hang on...correction... they're all scum

.........and just remember Dan scum always ends up on top.

Ross

Jenny Brandis
17th April 2005, 03:25 PM
First off, thank you all for your advice! I seem to have narrowed the field to three machines.

Delta Midi Lathe from Carba-Tec
MCE-300 Mini Lathe from Carba-Tec
Sherwood Mini Lathe from Timbecon

I think the Sherwood will be out for speed reasons so that would leave the other two.

Have you got one of these? Would you say that they would be good for bobbin turning? I guess that if they can do pen turning that they could handle bobbins.

Hambone
17th April 2005, 04:24 PM
First off, thank you all for your advice! I seem to have narrowed the field to three machines.

Delta Midi Lathe from Carba-Tec
MCE-300 Mini Lathe from Carba-Tec
Sherwood Mini Lathe from Timbecon

I think the Sherwood will be out for speed reasons so that would leave the other two.

Have you got one of these? Would you say that they would be good for bobbin turning? I guess that if they can do pen turning that they could handle bobbins.Hi Jenny,
I have been using a Jet lathe for about 8 years to make lace bobbins. I think the Delta is a clone and am sure you will find it will do all you need both for lace bobbins or pens .I did start of with a smaller lathe but soon found that it was a bit small and light for my requirements. When you buy your lathe also buy some Shellawax liquid as I have tried just about all of the polishes on the market and S.W gives the best lasting finish .If I can help in any way send me a message.
Ron

JackoH
19th April 2005, 06:17 PM
"Turning Lace Bobbins" by David Springett.
ISBN 0 9517157. First Published 1995.