PDA

View Full Version : Bush shed Machine rescue, Wolfenden mortiser, Thicknesser ?? Wellcome saw and more.

auscab
11th January 2013, 08:43 PM
A little over a week back I saw a Wellcome saw on e Bay , I decided to go see it ,to see if the fence was ok .

I wanted another fence for my big Barker band saw, and this one is a close match to the Wellcome fence I used on my Wadkin 10 AGS.

Peter [ Lightwood ] and Matty [ L.S. Barker 1970] were coming along for one of the Tool/ rusty steel/ Machinery and Antique center , days out that they started inviting me out to a few years back. " A Road trip " as they are called .

I have been on a few of these road trips, this one was a little different in that we were going to check out an e Bay item not yet sold , and this happened to be close to a property a that a mate took me to in April 2008 ,a shed that an old Gent named Old Stan had worked away with his brother in through the 60s and 70s doing woodwork , wagon construction and black smithing . I had visited back then and when I knew we were going up that way I gave The lady , Stans daughter and the son a call to see if was ok to drop in again and have another look around and possibly make an offer on some machinery that they did not want. We were welcome .

We went and checked out the e Bay wellcome saw, then drove out to have a look at Stan's old workshop. I was keen to check out a Wolfenden Mortiser for my self that I had seen and Matty and Peter were able to point out anything they may be interested in. We went and had a look and a few days later made some offers.

One week later [ yesterday] Matty and my self went back to pick up and I would be picking up the Wellcome on the way back if I won it at 3PM.

Here is the pictures.

20 years ,untouched machines.

more on the way

Rob

auscab
11th January 2013, 08:48 PM
spot the cast iron .

auscab
11th January 2013, 08:55 PM
I will lift the cover up and get some good pictures of the chisel attachment asap Greg . the Machine is at work now ,where I will fix it up. stay tuned for Matty's Gem.

Rob

camoz
11th January 2013, 09:40 PM
Great find Rob:2tsup: (I am very jealous). Looking forward to seeing more.....and Matty's gem.

cheers,

camo

L.S.Barker1970
11th January 2013, 10:30 PM
Thanks Rob I Had a ball !!
I have always been amazed by blokes sheds and this one was a gem, a lot of old gear the kind of stuff old boys hang on to, bits of rusty steel, leather, boxes of old rusty bolts etc, all pretty far gone.
Nothing had been touched for years and 20 years of dirt and dust too, by the end of the day Rob and I were hot, tuckered out, and covered in black, but we were loving every minute.
The old thicknesser I had my eye on I had seen the first time going up with Pete and Rob, I was not sure about getting it as it was a little worse for wear and was hard to make out its real condition under the timber covers covering all the belting, when we got there the second time I took the covers off and we stood back, what an old beauty !!
Rob and I had the use of a giant engineers engine crane which really helped proceedings along.
All in all it was a fantastic day and real hands on stuff.
Many thanks again to Rob who organized the day, there were some great memorable moments, like the hydraulics on the crane just stopping, for a moment there I thought we were done for ...lol..
http://i982.photobucket.com/albums/ae301/matty355/DSC_0359_zps577d7898.jpg
http://i982.photobucket.com/albums/ae301/matty355/DSC_0367-1_zps33888301.jpg
http://i982.photobucket.com/albums/ae301/matty355/DSC_0373-1_zpsb20f6758.jpg
http://i982.photobucket.com/albums/ae301/matty355/DSC_0385-1_zps17069f57.jpg
http://i982.photobucket.com/albums/ae301/matty355/DSC_0395-1_zpse905a1c2.jpg
http://i982.photobucket.com/albums/ae301/matty355/DSC_0402-1_zps57ce21f0.jpg
Melbourne Matty.

auscab
11th January 2013, 11:17 PM
It will be good seeing the restoration of that Thicknesser Matty .

Hows this for a user made saw.

Gaza
11th January 2013, 11:26 PM
dam you guys where was my invite,

nice work i have my eyes out for a morticer but have not had any luck

pmcgee
11th January 2013, 11:52 PM
when we got there the second time I took the covers off and we stood back, what an old beauty !!Melbourne Matty.

Thicknessers Anonymous. Just dial 555-STOP-LOOKING.

:p

Bemused and Jealous.

:D

Paul

auscab
12th January 2013, 01:00 PM

Paul

:roflmao: oh that's funny .

auscab
12th January 2013, 01:47 PM
The last thing was to pick up the Wellcome .

Then bring it all home and start unloading .

Rob

L.S.Barker1970
12th January 2013, 08:13 PM

:p

Bemused and Jealous.

:D

Paul

Its no use Paul, I went to all the group therapy sessions, and I ended up in big arguments with the other group members who all had Taiwanese and Chinese thicknessers, I seriously questioned whether those guys had addictions in the first place and accused them of using therapy as just a social gathering, I was consequently thrown out.
Next my Doctor suggested the "Hand Tool Patches" to try and get me back to some kind of basic woodwork, and try to ween me of machines all together, no joy there, the patches interfered with my sleep patterns and I would find my self in pajamas on the front step of the local second hand machinery dealer's shop at 6:00 in the morning.
My brother said he had seen a movie where they took this addict out to the desert to go "cold Turkey" so we drove out to Big Desert National Park, I still managed to find a rusty old Thicknesser under a lone tree.
After years of therapy I still basically blame my Parents for the many times they took me to Sovereign Hill Ballarat to see all the flat belt woodworking machinery, I think it all began there...

Melbourne Matty.

pmcgee
12th January 2013, 09:48 PM
so we drove out to Big Desert National Park, I still managed to find a rusty old Thicknesser under a lone tree.
Melbourne Matty.

Heh heh heh ... that takes talent, right there. :U

Lie back on this couch and tell us all about it ...

then go with these men in engineers overalls ...
they're not going to hurt you ...
and they won't take away your machines ... :chase:

L.S.Barker1970
5th February 2013, 01:54 PM
You would never think to look in your own back yard for a match on such a thicknesser, I would of thought we were importing machinery from England, America and Germany in 1920, who would of believed that a small little work shop like "Wolfenden Bros, Motor & General Engineers at 28 Lynch Street, Footscray" could be making such a beautiful machine.
At first, when I saw this thicknesser I immediately thought of an American Pony Planer, turned my catalog collection up-side down looking for a match, and no joy, but searching through my Wolfenden Archives by chance (in search of something else, as it so happens) I stumbled across these fine pictures of the Wolfenden Brothers workshop in Lynch street and a catalog cut of the same machine, Amazing !!

http://i982.photobucket.com/albums/ae301/matty355/sc00013526_zps80ca8740.jpg
http://i982.photobucket.com/albums/ae301/matty355/sc0001574d_zps906c8b10.jpg
Melbourne Matty.

auscab
5th February 2013, 02:46 PM
Well done Matty ,
What a Ripper of a photograph that is :2tsup:

L.S.Barker1970
5th February 2013, 03:58 PM
Well done Matty ,
What a Ripper of a photograph that is :2tsup:

Thanks Rob, been excited to tell everyone, Pete and yourself especially, so I thought I would catch you here, what better place !!

Melbourne Matty.

lightwood
5th February 2013, 04:13 PM
Matty, A Wolfenden!!! Before they were casting there name on the body. Do you think they were casting at that location in Footscray? So the thicknesser museum is coming along nicely eh? Peter

L.S.Barker1970
5th February 2013, 04:38 PM
Matty, A Wolfenden!!! Before they were casting there name on the body. Do you think they were casting at that location in Footscray? So the thicknesser museum is coming along nicely eh? Peter

Pete I have no doubt it was made there, machined and assembled, but as for casting, I would of said the Wolfenden Brothers may have contracted this out to a foundry, not sure, I do have a couple of very early photos of what the Wolfenden brothers were making when they started in 1918, apparently 26 inch bandsaws were the first off the production line.
Why their name was not on this machine I do not know, both catalog cut and photo reflect this as well.
And as for the thicknesser museum, well, I can't say I won't stop, should a J.A.Fay machine machine appear, lets just say Ill need someone with some decent property to hide it on, You don't happen to know any one who could help do you Pete ?

Melbourne Matty.

scrounger
5th February 2013, 09:42 PM
very nice planer :) I'd love to get one in my shed some day, I was lucky enough to win the bandsaw from the same seller that you got the wellcome saw from & am very happy with it.
scrounger

L.S.Barker1970
5th February 2013, 11:02 PM
very nice planer :) I'd love to get one in my shed some day, I was lucky enough to win the bandsaw from the same seller that you got the wellcome saw from & am very happy with it.
scrounger

Hi Scrounger,
Rob, Peter and myself did have a look at your bandsaw when we were there, its a nice machine, I'd like to see a post on your Bandsaw, I got a suspicion that Thomas McPhersons in the beginning imported Silvers bandsaws from the US, let's just call it a hunch....

Melbourne Matty.

auscab
5th February 2013, 11:17 PM
The saw was good value Scrounger, Did you have fun getting it out of there? It was a bit tight with a tandem trailer down that driveway. We had to drive in and do a three point turn to get out.
A few inches of tyre went on the brick border of the garden and next minute I had an old lady yelling at me :p " YOUR ON THE GARDEN!! YOUR ON THE GARDEN !!

Me . " Sorry "

No harm done

I'm thinking, " Calm down cranky britches"

Rob.

scrounger
6th February 2013, 09:31 PM
thanks for the info Matty I'll try to put up some pic's over the weekend if I'm not to busy scrounging :).

Rob the 6x4 trailer was alright to get up there but it was a hell ride home, putting it on the trailer was fun though kids & dogs every were, no old lady's hanging round must've been nap time.

scrounger

L.S.Barker1970
3rd January 2015, 08:44 AM
Its been a while both here and on the Antique Machinery section but I thought I would keep this post together and add a bit more here.
I have had some time over the holidays to have a bit of a clean up around the place and drag the early Wolfenden thicknesser in for some TLC.
Upon the clean up and disassemble, the amount of muck that came out of that machine was just unbelievable, oil and sawdust everywhere !!
I went through 5 liters of kerosene and 4 wire brushes for the grinder.
Here are some progress pic's so far .....

http://i982.photobucket.com/albums/ae301/matty355/image-45_zps9dfdde26.jpg
Got the old girl in for a complete tear down.
http://i982.photobucket.com/albums/ae301/matty355/matty355111/image-41_zpse781850c.jpg
Some bad news with the cast bottom table slide ways, one was broken in two places, I'll machine up two new ones in bright steel.
http://i982.photobucket.com/albums/ae301/matty355/matty355111/image-43_zps1bf835a7.jpg
Block and Tackle very handy for this kind of work.
http://i982.photobucket.com/albums/ae301/matty355/image-44_zps6e1b2eec.jpg
Out comes the cutter-head.
http://i982.photobucket.com/albums/ae301/matty355/matty355111/image-42_zps18d378a7.jpg
Fresh coat of satin black after a good grind back to bare metal.
http://i982.photobucket.com/albums/ae301/matty355/matty355111/image-37_zps48ad8fee.jpg
Assemble the sides.
http://i982.photobucket.com/albums/ae301/matty355/matty355111/image-39_zpsfa4240c3.jpg
Starting to look like something now.
http://i982.photobucket.com/albums/ae301/matty355/matty355111/image-38_zps1b7001a5.jpg
A little bit of Gold on the Badge I found for it, quite tasteful I felt.
Melbourne Matty.

chambezio
3rd January 2015, 09:15 AM
Matty, that feeling you get when you have "rescued" an "article" from a fate that would destroy it, is something that makes the exercise really worthwhile!
Even to scrape back years of crud and get it working is fruitful. These dear old "articles" are so rewarding for a few hours of elbow grease. When you pull them down its amasing just how "basic" they are in their construction. Its usually not much to get them operating again, then with a new coat of paint they are ready for work.
Just before Christmas I had to dress some hardwood down for a project my nephew was doing for school. I asked him if the school had a thicknesser? ...Yes...(he is no conversationalist) What brand?....not sure....does it sit on a bench?....no, its a floor model..... But its not old like yours.
I couldn't get over this kid's attitude. He is 18 and seems to live in his own little world, not wanting to know anything about anything (well that what it seems to me)
I shudder to think of the fate of machinery when this latest crop of youngsters become old enough.

auscab
3rd January 2015, 09:45 AM
It Looks great Matty , Block and tackle ?? you mean your gantry crane in your amazing shed , quite a few times while holding a coldie in one hand I have looked up and said to myself " He's got a gantry crane in his shed " :rolleyes: I wish ..

Looking back at the start of this thread , what a state that Lovely machine was in when you got it.

Rob

L.S.Barker1970
3rd January 2015, 10:18 AM
He is 18 and seems to live in his own little world, not wanting to know anything about anything (well that what it seems to me)
I shudder to think of the fate of machinery when this latest crop of youngsters become old enough.

At his age I was into cars in a big way, I had mates who were dropping V8's into small Torana's, back in the day when you wouldn't get locked up for a skid.
Its funny, these days I teach Carpentry at our local TAFE and I see a lot of students every day, yes there are some slow ones lets say, but their exposure to the trade changes them.
They come back for more training after 6 months or so very different, a keen attitude, its like they see everything in a different light, they have responsibilities and become adults.
Many of my finished students still visit my work shop, I'm always happy to show them what i've been up to, or do some machining for them, some are keen to learn more.
I think they will be fine, the key is that when the student is ready the teacher appears..... unless he's having smoko..
Have a look at this if you have a chance...
ox master woodworker - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ox+master+woodworker)

Melbourne Matty.

camoz
3rd January 2015, 11:21 AM
Ah Matty,

That's some fine work!! Was that the machine on your porch last time I was down your way for a visit?

It's a good example for new comers of the fact that when your looking for an old machine, a little bit of rust should not be too off putting (edit: read Matty's response on this one, there is certainly more to this restoration, and Matty is spot on when he says it is not for the faint hearted). Early on I let a lot of good machines go, because I thought they were too far gone, with hindsight most were perfect candidates for restoration (of cause with a rusty machine can come other issues, but they often go for peanuts allowing the funds to deal with any hidden issues).

I like the Black with Gold writing, it seems to suit the machine, out of curiosity, what technique did you use for the lettering? The finish looks neat!! There seem to be a few approaches, some I have tried, some I need to try.

Cheers,

Camo

L.S.Barker1970
3rd January 2015, 12:54 PM
It Looks great Matty , Block and tackle ?? you mean your gantry crane in your amazing shed , quite a few times while holding a coldie in one hand I have looked up and said to myself " He's got a gantry crane in his shed " :rolleyes: I wish ..

Looking back at the start of this thread , what a state that Lovely machine was in when you got it.

Rob

Rob, yes I was looking at those pic's too before I did the write up, it was a mess as you say, its had a hard life broken bits here and there, broken bolts, every opening filled with oily sawdust, at some stage they have even put a set of plumbers still-sons/pipe wrench on the bottom threads because the table would of jammed up, made a mess of the threads but it will clean up.
I can't believe what people do to machines, if they had of given it a good clean down with compressed air and then oiled up instead of compacting years of shavings and dust into every corner, gap and hole things would not of bound up and seized.
any way, all free and workable now !!

Melbourne Matty.

hiroller
3rd January 2015, 01:00 PM
Originally it looked like there was no name cast on it. Was it just covered in muck?

L.S.Barker1970
3rd January 2015, 01:10 PM
Ah Matty,

That's some fine work!! Was that the machine on your porch last time I was down your way for a visit?

It's a good example for new comers of the fact that when your looking for an old machine, a little bit of rust should not be too off putting. Early on I let a lot of good machines go, because I thought they were too far gone, with hindsight most were perfect candidates for restoration (of cause with a rusty machine can come other issues, but they often go for peanuts allowing the funds to deal with any hidden issues).

I like the Black with Gold writing, it seems to suit the machine, out of curiosity, what technique did you use for the lettering? The finish looks neat!! There seem to be a few approaches, some I have tried, some I need to try.

Cheers,

Camo
Afraid not mate this is another, don't forget I'm a thicknesser addict ...lol
Cam with this machine, there's a few things that would of put folk off, the broken slide ways, missing rise and fall handle (it had one but it was jerry rigged) Motors have to be remounted, and lots of annoying little things, this one is not for the faint hearted Cam, but I think its worth while as this is such an early Wolfenden machine.
The sexy gold bling is easy, simply take some paper towel and shape it into a rubber the same way you would if you were french polishing and dab it into the gold paint, wipe the excess, and then dab over the raised letters, the rubber being flat will find the high spots and hi-light them.

Melbourne Matty.

L.S.Barker1970
3rd January 2015, 01:17 PM
Originally it looked like there was no name cast on it. Was it just covered in muck?

No, Your right the first time there was no cast name on it, I had one kicking around so I painted it up and on it went.
I'm pretty confident its a Wolfenden machine, the era of the badge is the earliest I have, but still questionable as far as a perfect match.

Melbourne Matty.

chambezio
3rd January 2015, 01:59 PM
These collections of old machinery have one thing in common and that is that they have some serious weight with them. Just to remove/refit a motor is not easy when working with a boat anchor that is around 100 kg. I fitted a length of 175 mm RSJ into the apex of my shed for just these operations. For the expense and the effort to get it up there is all forgotten about when the first machine arrives

This is a picture of the panel saw but I can't find a pic of it dangling off the endless chain a metre off the ground. This little guy as around 1 tonne, but easily handled with the endless chain and RSJ

AHha I have found a couple of pics. The addition of the Acrow prop is just insurance that the shed will still be standing when I have taken up the weight. (I am not sure it was necessary, but I had there so I used it)
Once on the hard floor I use 16 mm rod or 38 mm pipe and with a pinch bar/crow bar its an easy job to scoot what ever across the floor to its resting place

camoz
3rd January 2015, 02:16 PM
The sexy gold bling is easy, simply take some paper towel and shape it into a rubber the same way you would if you were french polishing and dab it into the gold paint, wipe the excess, and then dab over the raised letters, the rubber being flat will find the high spots and hi-light them.

Melbourne Matty.

Yep that's one on my to try list. Someone pointed out that technique to me after I took a far more tedious approach on my Stenners badge. I think the results show it is a good technique.

cheers,

Camo

cava
3rd January 2015, 03:12 PM
This thread is fantastic. :2tsup: And well done.

Just out of curiosity, and being a novice in this regard, how much would an old thicknesser similar to this cost prior to any renovating?

It may be a more suitable option vs a new carbatec/hafco etc.

L.S.Barker1970
3rd January 2015, 08:58 PM
This thread is fantastic. :2tsup: And well done.

Just out of curiosity, and being a novice in this regard, how much would an old thicknesser similar to this cost prior to any renovating?

It may be a more suitable option vs a new carbatec/hafco etc.

Cava, thats a how long is this bit of string question, lol, sorry mate, there are just so many variables, I'll do my best !
A second hand older thicknesser can sell for between $200 and $2000 it depends on Condition, sellers knowledge, sellers pricing, age of the machine, access to the machine for removal, ie second floor of a building, "buyer to remove" and much more ...
As you ask, yes take mine for instance, it has cost $200 to purchase, a day to recover petrol, trailer and heavy lifting equipment, and so far I have spent another $150 on sandpaper, paint, wire brushes, kerosene and miscellaneous bits, oh and a tin of gold paint..
The worse bit is its not over by a long haul, the small repairs and missing parts will cost may be another $300 at least may be more.
I don't mean to put you of, I would encourage any one to have a go at this, the rewards are huge, the machine when done will be as good as if not better than any Hafco/carbetec machine, but it is not for the faint hearted, you will need a little metal work and mechanical skills in your blood to boot.

Hope this helps as it is a fair question !

Melbourne Matty.

cava
3rd January 2015, 09:35 PM
Appreciate the response Matty. Guess I will just have to buy yours when it is complete. :wink:

DaveTTC
3rd January 2015, 10:07 PM
Some great stuff there Matty, not sure if you have seen some of the stuff I've picked up.

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

camoz
4th January 2015, 12:20 PM
Guess I will just have to buy yours when it is complete. :wink:

Cava,

I realise your reply is in humour, and Matty's assessment of what is required is spot on, but having read Matty's assessment of what was required on this machine,

Cam with this machine, there's a few things that would of put folk off, the broken slide ways, missing rise and fall handle (it had one but it was jerry rigged) Motors have to be remounted, and lots of annoying little things, this one is not for the faint hearted Cam.

It is clear this is not as I said:

It's a good example for new comers of the fact that when your looking for an old machine, a little bit of rust should not be too off putting

I even went back and added a note to my initial statement:).

I hope Matty wont mind me taking the post a little further of the rails, but I want to give a bit of a rundown as to why I think it is a great idea to consider buying and fixing an old machine over buying a new machine.

I have bought and fixed a few older machines now, but I certainly also have a fair amount of modern stuff in my workshop. My take on it, is assess your needs based on each machine. I started buying old stuff because I found myself trying to modify the brand new machine I just bought, so it would do the job it was supposed to be made for (inaccurate or poorly machined parts). This is not because you can't buy high quality new machines, it's just you can't buy them in the budget that I have to spend. Look on the net and you will find many posts of people saying "take a straight edge with you when you are buying a new......, and if it is a good example, insist you want the display machine" (this is what I am talking about, inconsistency in production). I buy an older machine over a new machine, if the older machine has something to offer that the new machine doesn't (not every old machine is better than a new machine). It's not like the modern world invented making cheap machinery, there has always been poor quality stuff, but I think time has a great ability of weeding out the crap (if it lasts 50 years and is still running, that's possibly a sign with a bit of TLC it could last another 50).

Unfortunately you need to have some abilities, or be willing to learn, it's probably not going to be plug and play. The advantage with forums like this is that even when things appear quiet, if you start a restoration, and document it as you go, and ask questions when needed, you will soon find lots of helpful and knowledgeable people ready to help, lets face it, without the forums I don't think I would have one operating machine. I think the golden rule is, if it's not working, don't get a bigger hammer, ask a question, then get the bigger hammer, when the answers are, you need a bigger hammer:U.

If you are starting out, I would recommend to read lots of restorations (there are lots), to see what generally wears on that machine so you can assess the machine you are considering purchasing. Your first machine should be a basic machine, one with few moving parts, preferably one that doesn't differ much between brands (this way you can ask anyone for help, not just someone with the same brand/model that you are trying to restore). One machine I would recommend is a bandsaw, although like I said do some reading first, there can be major issues with bandsaws, but the reason I recommend it, is they are all basically built with a very similar design, and if your patient you can pick one up for very little initial outlay (this way if it has a major issue you didn't anticipate, then you haven't lost much), and a nice heavy cast bandsaw (even a small one), when properly restored, is going to outperform anything you can buy new for the cost of purchasing and restoring it IMO.

I have found that as you do more and more machines, often the same things need to be done, and the more confident you are at tackling the task. There will always be things that pop up that you have never encountered or know how to deal with, but again, the forum is great for that. Although you may not be able to get parts, most older machines were designed to be fixed, so generally speaking most problems are resolvable. Sometimes you may end up having to pay someone to do something, or learn how to do it yourself, that's why I don't buy old machines just based on price, or if I do, I buy them really cheap.

So for anyone new to this, I would say jump in and have a go, if you start out with the right machine and do your research, you have very little to loose and a lot to gain. The only exception to this is anyone who lives between Sydney and Foster, all the old machines in this area are total garbage and should be avoided at all costs, if you do see one you think might be good, send me a PM, and I will buy it, just to save you from making a horrible mistake:U.

Cheers,

Camo

P.S. If you find the perfect machine, but it is 3 phase (with say a 2HP motor), be aware the cost of Variable Frequency Drives have dropped dramatically, you may still be able to run and industrial quality machine from a domestic power supply (again, you need to do your research first, as this will not work in all cases).

DaveTTC
4th January 2015, 01:49 PM
These collections of old machinery have one thing in common and that is that they have some serious weight with them. Just to remove/refit a motor is not easy when working with a boat anchor that is around 100 kg. I fitted a length of 175 mm RSJ into the apex of my shed for just these operations.

I hear you on the weight factor .... I have a 24" wide Wolfenden 3 phase thicknesser sitting on my trailer still because I have no way to lift it and no where to put it yet. Did not think that one out too well did I lol

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

auscab
4th January 2015, 03:50 PM
We have been doing some lifting on and off with some sheer legs . Sion Dovey in the UK did a post on another forum doing it with a pair of timber ones , 12' long each I think . A lot of people were surprised at what he was picking up and putting down in a one man operation . So he has been copied. This is some steel ones I made lifting a roughly 750KG ?? I forget exactly, Wadkin LQ Off a trailer. It works but is still being worked on and developed , some simpler and safer ways using sheer legs have been used as well .

DaveTTC
4th January 2015, 06:42 PM
similar principle to a derrick pole. Maybe I should look through my steel pile and see if there is any thing sturdy enough

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

Uncle Al
4th January 2015, 08:02 PM
I hear you on the weight factor .... I have a 24" wide Wolfenden 3 phase thicknesser sitting on my trailer still because I have no way to lift it and no where to put it yet. Did not think that one out too well did I lol

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

Ah!, now I know why you are having a get-together on the Australia Day weekend.:D

Alan...

DaveTTC
4th January 2015, 08:12 PM
Ah!, now I know why you are having a get-together on the Australia Day weekend.:D

Alan...

You caught me. Hope you're coming, just the motor needs 4 people to lift it

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

Uncle Al
4th January 2015, 08:55 PM
You caught me. Hope you're coming, just the motor needs 4 people to lift it

It's a long way, and I have a crook back, but....... I would enjoy the drive. Still working out the logistics at the moment.

Alan...

DaveTTC
4th January 2015, 09:01 PM
There's always room for a supervisor. I have shovels of various length, design & colour for you to lean on

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

L.S.Barker1970
5th January 2015, 12:17 PM
Appreciate the response Matty. Guess I will just have to buy yours when it is complete. :wink:

Be careful what you wish for, some of my best friends have ended up with my restored machines, and they are very happy.

Melbourne Matty.

L.S.Barker1970
5th January 2015, 12:22 PM
Some great stuff there Matty, not sure if you have seen some of the stuff I've picked up.

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

Thanks Dave, but I don't think I have seen any of your kit, Ill take a look at your past posting, your 24' Wolfenden Thicknesser already has me curious, wish I was there on the Australia day weekend helping you guys out too.
If you get a chance to post about it or even some pic's would be sensational, no pressure ...

Melbourne Matty.

DaveTTC
5th January 2015, 12:35 PM
G'day Matty,

Here is the link to the get together

http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=191049

I hope to be updating with pics throughout the event.

There should be a couple of posts of the equipment I have, about 12 pieces in all that I got from a joinery.

I also have a total of 15 lathes from small to larger. All of them feature at some point I think, Not sure if I posted the latest lathe or not, its a mystery lathe

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/04/9bb3a01aa4e3c14e9eedb3d3329001d5.jpghttp://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/04/3f25d30e8a3ada320ee6f373de1b7542.jpghttp://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/04/91611635e831a4a6bde62037263252a7.jpghttp://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/04/f80908a4ba306881a56e770e6a0a19ee.jpg

I got this one for free

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

pmcgee
6th January 2015, 08:42 AM
I've moved some cuckoo stuff into the backyard here ... including a 2-pole car hoist.

A few times the go has been
... object tied down tight to the 12' x 4' single-axle trailer
... wheels of the trailer chocked from behind
... a good rope around the trailer hitch and from there around the tow-bar a few times
... undoing the trailer hitch, and gradually letting the trailer down on its rear end
... roping the object fully down to the ground level with gravity-assist if necessary
... tying object to the garage and/or large botanicals
... tying the trailer axle to the towbar and gradually moving the trailer away.

Or there is heli-lift, if you have a mate in the air-force or police ?? :)

Cheers,
Paul

L.S.Barker1970
6th January 2015, 06:52 PM
G'day Matty,

Not sure if I posted the latest lathe or not, its a mystery lathe

I got this one for free

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

Thanks Dave, the mystery lathe is a big beefy boy, a heap of cast there !!
Thanks for the Australia day invite too, Im afraid I will be doing my annual pilgrimage to the Fryers town Antique fair, this will be my 25th year.

Melbourne Matty.