PDA

View Full Version : remove silicon

Gingermick
13th April 2005, 10:00 PM
I made a vanity a couple of years ago. It was simple and would have looked good until I smeared silicon around between the top of the vanity and the basin. And it left big smudges.
I've tried scratching it off but not with much success. Any special tricks anyone knows of to remove silicon?
The vanity is red cedar with Envirotex? finish.
Cheers
Mick

mic-d
13th April 2005, 10:07 PM
Selleys makes a silicone remover that is 8% sulphuric acid in a gel. If the surface it is on is porous though, bad luck, the silicone would have probably soaked in and this product won't work. Be careful using sulphuric acid on wood too, it used to be used to produce a black wood stain upon heating.
Cheers
Michael

Gingermick
14th April 2005, 08:04 AM
The envirotex is a two part finish and pretty thick. Would the Sulphuric Acid eat the finish at the same rate it would eat the silicon? I would have o be very very careful putting it on to avoid non siliconed bits. (My eyesight is a bit ordinary)
cheers
mick

mic-d
16th April 2005, 08:07 AM
That I don't know. Best test it on an inconspicuous part first
Cheers
Michael

Peter R
17th April 2005, 05:46 PM
The envirotex is a two part finish and pretty thick. Would the Sulphuric Acid eat the finish at the same rate it would eat the silicon? I would have o be very very careful putting it on to avoid non siliconed bits. (My eyesight is a bit ordinary)
cheers
mickAcetone will remove silicone but what it will do otherwise I do not know. However, maybe better than sulphuric acid I would think. Acetone will certianly remove any stain or finish.

Peter

Harry72
17th April 2005, 11:51 PM
Just use some automotive prepwash, the stuff they use to de-wax and remove the silicons thats pumped into the paint every time its been polished/waxed.
Dont sand it, you'll just spead it around... prep wash it first before sanding.