PDA

View Full Version : Linear Laminated bowls

Mobyturns
12th January 2013, 11:49 PM
Linear Laminated bowls approx 70mm dia. Main bodies are in New Guinea Rosewood and Pacific Mahogany, with Qld Silky Oak, Black Bean & veneer accents. In various stages of finishing, some with sealer only & 1 with 2 coats 30% Stylwood NC Lacquer. A couple of closeups as well.

bench1holio
13th January 2013, 06:39 AM
Great looking bowls moby!.....what timber is the white veneer?

dr4g0nfly
13th January 2013, 06:56 AM
I like the look of these, they would sit comfortably almost anywhere.

They look like a lot of work, cleverly done so as to not look 'Over Done'. :2tsup:

chuck1
13th January 2013, 07:17 AM
wow impressive, wish I had the patients to do this!

RETIRED
13th January 2013, 07:20 AM
First tops, now bowls. Where will it end?:D

Mobyturns
13th January 2013, 07:46 AM
Great looking bowls moby!.....what timber is the white veneer?

There are a few, good white / light & red veneers are hard to come by.
I'm always on the look out for Silver Ash, Bumpy Ash, Yellowwood, Cheesewood, light Hoop Pine, doesn't have to be face quality either, so if any body has some, send me a PM.. :)

, I can't do big stuff now I'm battery opperated so I've got to do something. When will it stop when I catch up and pass PowderPost! Maybe, in my dreams. :;

artme
13th January 2013, 10:10 AM
They are a cut above most of the laminated Bowls I've seen!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Well done!!

powderpost
16th January 2013, 08:30 PM
This one slipped under the radar. These have to be seen to be believed, they are really nice to touch. :2tsup:

Mobyturns
17th January 2013, 07:39 AM
This one slipped under the radar. These have to be seen to be believed, they are really nice to touch. :2tsup:

:B Been snoozing after that restump job? Not in you league though.

Michael Brazeau
19th January 2013, 05:50 AM
Those are really nice bowls.

Just wondering...have you had any issues with failed glue joints? I ask because it looks like you have grain running in opposite directions with your laminations.

Mobyturns
19th January 2013, 07:21 AM
Those are really nice bowls.

Just wondering...have you had any issues with failed glue joints? I ask because it looks like you have grain running in opposite directions with your laminations.

Short answer no, zero failures from failed glue joints (some from the person holding the tool though! :- ).

Good question. Sure timber moves differentially in end grain to cross grain orientations. These are only 70mm diameter so movements are very small however I believe it is the % of relative movement that does the damage.

Definitely no failures to this point & some are over 6yo and being in North Queensland they experience humidity from 99% down to around 10% with no special storage.

The grain in the timber & veneers is all aligned in the same direction, hence the name linear laminated. These are not segmented as in the traditional radial or ring segmentation techniques nor are they a combination of radial segments & solid timber. The changes in "grain direction" you see are an illusion created in the turning process & from the deliberate grain orientation (placement of medullary rays etc) from the different ways the timber is sawn, i.e. plain, rift or quarter sawn etc. There is some potential for differential movement because of the use of different cuts but far less that many traditional segmented designs that use bias, horizontal & vertical grain orientations side by side. I believe this is because the movements in linear laminates are complimentary and of the same magnitude.

Movement & joint failure is a concern which I have managed, with glues like AV Syntec's AVXL Plus or Titebond II even Selleys Tradesman's Choice <st1:stockticker>PVA</st1:stockticker> (though I have noticed some variations in quality / consistency with the Selley's): and timbers that have been cut to the sizes I require, dried & all allowed to stabilise together in the same environment before glue up. The glued up blanks also sit for quite a while before I turn them to allow any moisture changes from the glue up to stabilise. I also carefully prepare the mating surfaces before glue up – new guinea rosewood is a bit oily.

Sawdust Maker
19th January 2013, 11:16 AM
Nice work :2tsup: