PDA

View Full Version : New Lathe

Bucks23
16th January 2013, 05:20 PM
Hi All

just picked up this lathe today cost me just $100 and works perfectly, I wasn't going to get into turning yet but at that price I couldn't say no, seeing as I am new to woodturning could someone please explain why it has a faceplate on the rear of the spindle, I asked the guy who I bought it from and he couldn't tell me :?

wheelinround
16th January 2013, 05:30 PM
Possible out board turning by mounting to the face plate or a sanding disc attached to it.

Drillit
16th January 2013, 05:37 PM
Hello newbucks23,
Firstly there is a lot more that you need to know about turning and it would be wise to get some lessons and join a woodturning group.
Others could advise you about that, depending on where you live in Vic. As to the face plate it attaches to the spindle and it has a number of holes
in it where screws are placed through and into the piece that you are turning. In other words it holds the piece firmly. However, quite often you need to use the
tailstock with the live centre for added security. Where it is placed at the back I can only assume it had a sanding attachnment, probably a ply board screwed to the plate.
Did the lathe come with a drive and live centre and tool rest. Of course there is also the correct tools to use. If you are
interested it really would pay you to seek out help and advice - rather than do yourself some damage. There are plenty of Utube and info,. on the web including of course this site.
Having said those few things, I hope that you are interested in turning and progress. However, I would stress get some lessons and advice. Drillit.
PS I had assumed from the question that you were inexperienced. Please accept my comments in good faith. I apologise if I am wrong.

Christos
16th January 2013, 05:38 PM
Can be used as a handle to turn the piece slowly.

ian thorn
16th January 2013, 06:27 PM
Yes is it a faceplate or a hand wheel
Ian

Bucks23
16th January 2013, 06:49 PM
Thanks for the help guys, yes it did come with a drive, live centre and two tool rests, I will definitely be looking at a few lessons before I get to involved I have done plenty of turning on a steel lathe and can just imagine the dangers associated with a wood lathe and holding the cutting tool with your hands and not bolted in a tool rest.

Sawdust Maker
16th January 2013, 06:57 PM
handwheel?

and welcome to the slippery slope of woodturning

RETIRED
16th January 2013, 08:40 PM
The lathe is a Golding made at Bridgewater near Geelong.

China
16th January 2013, 10:04 PM
I built my first lathe using one of the several variations of the golding headstock, I still use it for some things today 30 odd years and the bearings are still going strong, you can teach yourself woodturning, just take it slow, however the advice above re joining a club is invaluable. learnng to turn from utube is about the worst possible place I can think of.

RETIRED
16th January 2013, 10:10 PM
The lathe is a Golding made at Bridgewater near Geelong.Seems I was out in my geography. Golding was near Highton.:-

issatree
17th January 2013, 01:46 AM
Hi all,
That Lathe was originally made in Breakwater ( close ), & Jock Golding lived in Highton, but as some maybe aware, Jock Passed Away approx.a Fortnight ago
I had a similar one to that & I used that Rear Faceplate as a Hand Wheel.
Mine did not have that Wheel under the Lathe Bed.
You may need to run some Sandpaper over the R/F Plate.
They also used a R/Hand Threaded Spindle for the Tail Stock Quill, so you Tightened up the T/S by winding it Anti Clockwise.
The Spindle was nearly always 1in. x 8TPI, Whitworth.
Lathe was made approx 1983 - 84.
All the Essentials are there, as far as I can see.

Bucks23
17th January 2013, 09:36 AM
Hi all,
That Lathe was originally made in Breakwater ( close ), & Jock Golding lived in Highton, but as some maybe aware, Jock Passed Away approx.a Fortnight ago
I had a similar one to that & I used that Rear Faceplate as a Hand Wheel.
Mine did not have that Wheel under the Lathe Bed.
You may need to run some Sandpaper over the R/F Plate.
They also used a R/Hand Threaded Spindle for the Tail Stock Quill, so you Tightened up the T/S by winding it Anti Clockwise.
The Spindle was nearly always 1in. x 8TPI, Whitworth.
Lathe was made approx 1983 - 84.
All the Essentials are there, as far as I can see.

Thanks for the information, you are spot on with the year of manufacture as the guy I bought it off purchased it in 84, he bought it for one purpose as he had his own business and needed to turn up some wooden templates, it was never used again just sat in his garage and moved from house to house with them after he sold the business.

As for the wheel under the bed, this is for tensioning the motor so that you can change the belts it has four speeds.

Paul39
17th January 2013, 02:07 PM
See for more on company.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f22/golding-wood-lathe-70275/

issatree
18th January 2013, 01:30 AM
Hi All,
Went way back to read a piece about the Lathe by Neil, UBeaut, 2008.
He also spoke about the about the 1 Day Woodies Swap at Welshmans Reef, to the West of Castlemaine & they came from all over. I remember a Bus Load came down from Wangaratta, & we had 6 on board from Geelong.
What a great day that was ?. Just ask Pauline & Neil.
There was a chap that drew up or designed the Bits & Pieces & Jock Golding, actually Made the Lathes & Later on Son Simon joined them.
Doug Cornford done a lot of the designing for That Lathe.
Sadly he passed on many years ago.