PDA

View Full Version : Banksia Nutty?

Gabriel
16th January 2013, 10:38 PM
G'day all,

Very new/timid turner here, and although I have read many posts and offered the odd remark, this is my first real post with a burning question.

I plan on making a ring box for a special lady, and last year at the woodworking show she saw the banksia nuts and said "can you make me something with that" so of coarse I bought one on the spot. Only recently have I come up with this idea that I could make it a box for 'the ring' to hopefully surprise her.

My question comes in this form -

Is it possible to turn a thread on a banksia nut, if not should I go for a fitted lid? or am I barking up the wrong tree and they would make a terrible turned box so should just find some nice figured blackheart sassafrass or something?

Thanks a buch for any replies, and will continue trawling the older posts gleaning what knowledge I can from everyone

DJ’s Timber
16th January 2013, 11:02 PM
Doubt very much that you'd cut a thread with a banksia nut but a fitted lid should be ok with some stabilisation.

wood hacker
16th January 2013, 11:25 PM
One possible option would be to cast the banksia in resin and then turn a lidded box from the resulting block. One of the forum members Cornucopia does some beautiful work with timber/resin amalgams. This thread here (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/large-pine-cone-hollow-form-160666/) shows one using a pine cone. He turned it into a hollow form but the principle would still apply to making it into a lidded box. Check out some of his posts with lidded boxes, he does amazing work.

Edit: This thread (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/hybrid-boxes-burr-oak-burr-elm-loofah-158160/) show what you can do with a loofah, which is what I had in mind when I posted, I just couldn't remember which thread it was in.

cheers
WH

Gabriel
17th January 2013, 10:10 AM
Doubt very much that you'd cut a thread with a banksia nut but a fitted lid should be ok with some stabilisation.

wow... Thanks for the quick reply guys. Looks like it could be a little outta my skillset for the moment so something I will aspire to.

Dj, a fellow Warburtonian... Did you manage to get your hands on any of the fallen trees along Dammans Rd over the last couple of weeks?

DJ’s Timber
17th January 2013, 10:24 AM
No I didn't, got enough logs sitting in the yard at the moment :B

So are you living in Warbie now or Langwarrin?

sjm
17th January 2013, 10:36 AM
Is it possible to turn a thread on a banksia nut, if not should I go for a fitted lid? or am I barking up the wrong tree and they would make a terrible turned box

I've turned a lot of Banksia nuts, and although I've never cut a thread on one, it should be possible, but I wouldn't recommend it as your first attempt at one of these :;

A fitted lid will be easy. I suggest you glue a small rim to both edges though - this will make it easier to handle, since the holes will have sharp edges, and break easily (see some examples of what I mean in my signature - thin redgum slices around the rims).

Bear in mind that what may appear as a large nut will very quickly become a small diameter once you start turning it. You'll need to get through all the lips, then the fur, before finally making it through to hard wood.

And of course, please post your work once you're finished!

Gabriel
17th January 2013, 10:49 AM
Langwarrin these days DJ, but I spent the first 20 years of my life down there, then a few in my 20's (living costs are bloody expensive in the city). The folks are still up there and my sis/bro in law bought a place up Mt.Donna, so I'm up there quite a bit (at least every 3 months for the old man to help with my BAS)

Ah, Sjm, I remember looking at your posts about the lamps. They really are spectacular. Thanks for the tips about the rings, maybe I could chase the threds into the rings? sort of a banksia segment. By the time I get it looking anything pretty, I'm sure she will have left for someone else, so I better try something else. I hope she doesn't see the photos of the lamps or im sure something similar will be 'what is required' to justify the time spent in the shed

ian thorn
17th January 2013, 08:16 PM
I beleave you can buy threaded rings for the tops of boxes cant remember where from try google or somomne here may be able to help
Ian