PDA

View Full Version : 4.5 inch Projectile completed

Willy Nelson
17th January 2013, 04:10 PM
Good Afternoon Ladies and Gentlemen
A few weeks ago I posted some piccys of a 4.5 inch projectile which I had turned from Jarrah . After numerous coats of Danish Oil, here is the completed item, handed over to the new owner who intends giving to his Dad who is also ex Navy

Cheers
Willy
Jarrahland

artme
17th January 2013, 06:08 PM
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

enelef
17th January 2013, 06:11 PM
Looks great
hope you got a bang out of it:;

Christos
17th January 2013, 06:19 PM
Interesting.

smiife
17th January 2013, 07:14 PM
hi willy,
that is some big hunk of jarrah mate, well done on turning that !!!!!!!!!:o:o
looks like a nice finish too!hope you don't mind me asking, but
do you sand when the DO. is dry or when wet,and how do you
do the spiralling??????some special tool ??
cheers smiife:2tsup:

Willy Nelson
18th January 2013, 12:04 AM
hi willy,
that is some big hunk of jarrah mate, well done on turning that !!!!!!!!!:o:o
looks like a nice finish too!hope you don't mind me asking, but
do you sand when the DO. is dry or when wet,and how do you
do the spiralling??????some special tool ??
cheers smiife:2tsup:

Good day mate
Yes, quite a large chunk of Jarrah which I cut many years ago, I do a few of these projectiles.

Turned between centres makes for ease of fitting trials with the cartridge. The projectile was sanded to 400 and then textured.
I used the Robert Sorby spiralling system to imitate the marks left on the driving band from the rifling. The fuse area was done with the Robert Sorby texturing. I cut V grooves at the edge of the texturing to form a border, then used a piece of wire to burn the ring. Applied a couple of coats of snading sealer, then inside the house for the Danish Oil. The oil is rubbed in with a piece of 0000 steel wool, then buffed off. The textured areas were painted with DO and left to dry. I gave it 24 hours to dry (it dries in about 2 minutes in our WA 40 deg heat) and the more coats, usally about 10.

Cheers
Willy

dr4g0nfly
18th January 2013, 07:00 PM
That's one awfully big grin on his face, sure sign of a happy customer. And I have no doubt his Dad's grin will be as big.

Well done, looks awesome.