PDA

View Full Version : Coober Pedy-Wilpena Pound-Broken Hill

Grumpy John
17th January 2013, 10:28 PM
I've got some time off between the 24th Feb - 6th Mar (11 days) and was thinking of taking a drive over to Coober Pedy, Wilpena Pound and Broken Hill. I know it's doable from Melbourne in that time frame, but will I be able to spend enough time at each location to get the most of it?

Chesand
18th January 2013, 06:39 AM
About 4 years ago we did Flinders Ranges (spent 4 to 5 days there and went as far north as Parachilna) and then back via Mungo Nat Park and Broken Hill in a fortnight but would have liked a couple more days in Broken Hill and surrounds.

Hope that helps

sjm
18th January 2013, 08:57 AM
Easily. I did a similar loop last year:

Day 1: Drive Melb to BH
Day 2/3: Explore BH. Galleries, sculptures etc
Day 3: Drive to FR
Day 3/4: Explore FR. The pound, art sites, views, Brachina and Parachilna gorges.
Day 5/6: Drive to CP (via Lake Eyre, William Creek and Oodnadatta track). Check out the Mound Springs.
Day 6/7: Explore CP
Day 8/9: Drive to Melb.

Have fun, it's a great part of the country.

Grumpy John
18th January 2013, 08:54 PM
About 4 years ago we did Flinders Ranges (spent 4 to 5 days there and went as far north as Parachilna) and then back via Mungo Nat Park and Broken Hill in a fortnight but would have liked a couple more days in Broken Hill and surrounds.

Hope that helps

Easily. I did a similar loop last year:

Day 1: Drive Melb to BH
Day 2/3: Explore BH. Galleries, sculptures etc
Day 3: Drive to FR
Day 3/4: Explore FR. The pound, art sites, views, Brachina and Parachilna gorges.
Day 5/6: Drive to CP (via Lake Eyre, William Creek and Oodnadatta track). Check out the Mound Springs.
Day 6/7: Explore CP
Day 8/9: Drive to Melb.

Have fun, it's a great part of the country.

Thanks for the feedback gentlemen, exactly what I was looking for.
did you drive 4WD or conventional 2WD transport, caravanning or staying in hotel/motel/cabins?

Kev Y.
18th January 2013, 09:06 PM
Grumpy, IF you are going to stay in the Flinders Ranges, could I suggest staying at Rawnsley Park. Nice place, pleasant Caravan Park and wonderful walks into the Pound.

Ashore
19th January 2013, 03:36 AM
Mate 10 days in any of those places isn't enough
Wen't to a mates 60th in adelaide last year stopped in Broken hill for two nights , left a week lated and didn't see it all ,
5 years ago did the Wilpena Pound, Coober Pedy and though we spent several days didn't see enough
It's a bit like doing a european trafalgar trip if its thuesday this must be belguim
If you only have 10 days then certainly you can drive to and through those places and I'm sure you will enjoy it but your origional question was
will I be able to spend enough time at each location to get the most of it? and in my opinion the answer is no

Chesand
19th January 2013, 06:59 AM
did you drive 4WD or conventional 2WD transport, caravanning or staying in hotel/motel/cabins?

Subaru Outback which handled the gorges in Flinders Ranges and dirt roads in Mungo Nat Park very well but otherwise was not off the beaten track.

We stayed in motels - bit too old for the camping bit and like a proper bed now,
We stayed in Wilpena Pound Resort but would consider Rawnsley Park if we get back there again as we have heard good reports.

I agree with Ashore that more time would be better as the country out there becomes addictive.

sjm
19th January 2013, 10:31 AM

Conventional family sedan, no problems at all. All roads were good quality 2WD accessible, even the Oodnadatta track (although it does vary, depending on recent rain. But then again, so do the roads through the gorges in the Flinders Ranges). Stayed one night each at Rawnsley Park and Wilpena Pound in the Flinders Ranges, and a caravan park in Coober Pedy, but other than that, it was camping away from civilisation.

chambezio
19th January 2013, 11:18 AM
John
The light will be an important issue as to how long you stay at a particular spot. You would have, no doubt, seen any number of calendar photos of those areas and how good the colour of the scenery is. It would be 20years or so that we were in those places with SLR Colour slide film. We were a little disappointed with our results because the light is intense and the film had trouble coping. With you and your digital camera I'm sure you will have a ball experimenting!
Broken Hill especially is a great place to visit. Plenty of spots for "photo shoots" even down to the extensive use of corrugated iron for house fencing.

Fuzzie
19th January 2013, 12:07 PM
11 days is not enough time to explore those areas and unless you are a serious petrol head it's not really even enough time to drive the distance comfortably. Keep in mind that it is still likely to be seriously hot in those districts in Feb/Mar.

Unless it rains the vehicle type issue is more about ground clearance and suspension than x wheel drive. Some of the more scenic road trips around Flinders ranges involve access that needs good ground clearance not 4wd. (Can anyone else remember the old Ford TV ads spruiking the Fairlane as Wilpena Pound owners preferred vehicle well before the roads were sealed all the way?)

Is your 2wd vehicle corrugated dirt road friendly. I used to be able to cruise at the speed limit on dirt roads in my Nissan Syline wagon, but could only travel at about 5kph in my Vectra.

swk
19th January 2013, 04:47 PM
Grumpy J,
I grew up in Port Augusta and in those days had a significant number of relatives, from both sides of the family, in and around Quorn (believe it or not, I learnt to swim and dive in, almost outback, Quorn rather than on the beaches of PA). The Flinders was my back yard till about 10 years ago.

I concur with what others have said.
The time you have given yourself, you should be able to comfortably visit all the named places but you won't see all that they have to offer. Particularly the Flinders and Wilpena. Not even close.

BUT DO IT ANYWAY.

Better to have a taste now when you can and possibly a more considered trip later, than to miss out/put it off and never do it at all. :)

+++++++++

Kev Y recommended Rawnsleys Park. I've stayed there numerous times, cabins and camping. They have cabins in one area and a caravan park and a small shop a bit up the road with a couple of on site vans. Often popular long weekends etc. so book ahead. The Woolshed "restaurant" that is near the cabins, I have found is a bit hit and miss as far as times available and quality of food, depending on who they can get to cook, I suppose. All the other facilities are good or excellent.

Chace Range seen from Rawnsleys

+++++++++
As far as cars go, when my kids were younger we went camping up to Lake Eyre in my then Magna station wagon. Went through Andamooka, Coward Springs, William Creek and camped on the shores of Lake Eyre. OK, we went in convoy with 3 4WDs, but there was never really any time that the Magna looked iffy for the places we went. And in fact a Dutch lady who couldn't go on that particular trip with our group went by herself a week later and I think she had a clapped out old Datsun 120.

4WD are nice enough but there isn't anywhere on most roads you really can't go in a normal car with a little forethought and care. 4WD will get you further from civilisation before you get into trouble:)
Seriously, there is a great deal of the Flinders you can see without really getting off the bitumen.

Regards
SWK

Grumpy John
19th January 2013, 06:24 PM
Once again, thank you all very much for you input it is greatly appreciated. It was a silly question to ask if 11 days would enough. It's obvious that you could spend at least month doing this circuit and still not see everything, let alone allowing for the different seasons.
I drive a Mazda 626, but I'll probably borrow the wifes Falcon wagon.

sjm
19th January 2013, 07:15 PM
When I was there last year, I met a Spanish couple in the Flinders Ranges driving a Falcon station wagon (they were sleeping in the back). They travelled up the Oodnadatta track after me, and we met up again in Coober Pedy a few days later.

Grumpy John
20th January 2013, 11:20 AM
I've been going over my planned trip in a purely statistical point of view using Google Earth as a reference. Not allowing for side trips and sleeping/resting the total distance of the trip is 3,673K and ~43Hrs. This is going via Leigh Creek on the Ood Tk. If I go from WP to CP via Port Augusta it is 48k longer, but I save 3 1/2 hours (and less wear and tear on the car) and it's probably a less stressful, but boring, drive. The point of the trip, however, is to see and photograph some of our country's harsh (but beautiful) outback and you can't get much more outback than the Ood Trk. If I do the loop in a counter clockwise direction ie Melb, BH, WP, I can see how I'm traveling and make a decision whether to do the Ood Tk. or wus out and go via Port Augusta.

rsser
20th January 2013, 01:04 PM
There's lots of good advice here but I fall on the side of less driving and more rubber-necking esp if shooting is your main interest. I'd drop BH and spend more time in the Flinders and on and around the Ood. Tk. BH and surrounds are well worth spending time in but ...

We've been outback four times now and the only rule re road and weather conditions, which will determine what you can do, is that there is no rule. They can change overnight.

The roadhouses post the latest bulletins from the SA govt or if you're connected see the regularly updated Desert Parks Bulletin here: Safety - Department of Environment, Water and Natural Resources (DEWNR) (http://www.environment.sa.gov.au/parks/Safety) (When the Bulletin says things like road closed or 4WD only, believe it. It will be on the ball and in any case you will be heavily fined if caught out. Those notices are also posted at town exits and at turn-offs; you won't be in any doubt).

On a good day, the Ood. Tk, and the William Ck - CP and Ood. - CP roads are like dirt highways (but with lots of gibbers on the NW parts). Expect lots of corrugations unless they've been recently graded, so bone up on dropping tyre pressures and taking spares. Recovery out there will cost you a bomb. Sign up for RACV Total Care.

The Ood Tk has lots of history and ruins and is a fascinating drive. There is a lot to see. The Farina ruins, Coward Springs and the Anglebuckina bridge are just a few. If you can make it to Ood township then investigate going back to Coober Pedy via The Painted Desert near Arckaringa. That's a photographer's wet dream at sunset. There's basic camping at Arckaringa Station. 2WD access can't be assumed however.

CP is a vision of a post-apocalyptic nightmare in some ways and also grist for the single eye. Take the daily tourist bus tour - well worth it. You'll learn heaps.

Some other things we've learned ...

* Driving on the dirt out there takes 100% concentration. Six hours is our limit and we do it in two hour shifts.
* Talk to the locals about conditions and possibilities.
* Hope for the best but plan for the worst.
* Likely the red-dirt country will get its hooks into you and you'll be back so it doesn't all have to be done this trip.
* Powered camp-sites are in demand and some booking ahead may be sensible, esp. at Wilpena Pound and CP.
* Google map time estimates are pretty accurate for blacktop; for the dirt ...
* Take a Telstra 'blue tick' phone. Nothing else comes close short of a PLB or Satphone.

There's a great website with track, traveller and place (inc. av daily temps) info here: ExplorOz - 4WDing, Camping & Caravanning around Australia (http://www.exploroz.com/)

For the Ood. Tk and the triangle of William Ck - CP - Ood. township, an emergency beacon is useful insurance. You can borrow my Spot Messenger 2 if you want or my Satphone.

I'm sure you'll have a ball out there and I'm looking forward to the trip report :)

springwater
20th January 2013, 02:11 PM
$1 each for 200 old bones or more, no chicken.

Grumpy John
23rd February 2013, 02:55 PM
About to head off for Coober Pedy, going up the Calder Hwy through Burra to avoid having to deal with Adelaide traffic. Planning to stop at Wycheproof tonight and setting off early Saturday morning. Will post pics and commentary.

rsser
23rd February 2013, 04:11 PM
:2tsup:

Burra butcher has fab. saltbush hogget. But 'spect he'll be closed tomorrow.

Grumpy John
23rd February 2013, 08:56 PM
Pulled up just outside of Culgoa, 382 Km down - 1300 to go. If things normally tonight, I'll be up at around 3:00 A.M. for a pit stop. If that's the case I'll make some brekky and head out early

It's a tough life, but someone's gotta live it :D.

FenceFurniture
23rd February 2013, 09:20 PM
About to head off for Coober Pedy, going up the Calder Hwy through Burra to avoid having to deal with Adelaide traffic.

Ya gotta be kiddin! I pulled up at the intersection of King Billy St (the main drag, or close to it) and something else at 5.15pm on a weekday. By the the time the lights were green again, there was still only 3 of us waiting.

It'll be great trip GJ. I'm with Ern on Broken Hill. It's good, but save the time to spend more at some of the other places. CP has to be full of faces for portraits.

rsser
23rd February 2013, 09:32 PM
Must be a fridge in there.

Couldn't be warm beer :no:

dai sensei
24th February 2013, 08:25 AM
Looking good John, safe travels

ps your shed looks so clean when it is empty :U:U:U

rsser
24th February 2013, 05:31 PM
CP has two campgrounds.

One on the outskirts: newer facilities but will cop any winds going; can be a pox.
One in 'town': a bit tatty but more sheltered. Closer to the eateries. That was our choice last time and will be again.

Be sure you lock up wherever you go. Wild West out there.

springwater
24th February 2013, 06:21 PM
CP has two campgrounds.

Pretty sure there was an old bone poking out of from under ya left wheeel of your trailer GJ, any chance of throwing a few under ya front seat?

rsser
24th February 2013, 06:57 PM
CP still has a Greek presence as well as descendants of Muslims who were camel drivers (named regardless as 'ghans = Afghanis).

They were valued in the white settling of the outback not cos they managed camel trains but cos by religion they didn't drink. And so delivered reliably.

seriola
24th February 2013, 07:27 PM
CP has two campgrounds.

One on the outskirts: newer facilities but will cop any winds going; can be a pox.
One in 'town': a bit tatty but more sheltered. Closer to the eateries. That was our choice last time and will be again.

I worked on a station there as a young fella in the mid 60's, civilized now compared to then but is still different than most places for sure. The cocky I worked for used to sometimes supply meat to the local store. We would kill and butcher a couple of beasts out in the paddock, cart the meat to town in the back of land rovers. The miners would start lining up as we were unloading it. All cash money, imagine the scene now if sprung by the local hygiene officer, they would have a blue fit.

Grumpy John
24th February 2013, 10:30 PM
Must be a fridge in there.

Couldn't be warm beer :no:

Yes, there is a fridge in the camper, but it's struggling to keep anything tepid let alone cold. This is the hottest place I've ever been, and that includes Dampier, Karratha, and Port Hedland. It's ten o'clock at night and the water coming out of the tank under the camper is 37 deg.C :o

I'm at the Oasis :laughing1:Caravan Park (opposite the drive in theatre). It has really good security, they lock the gates at 10 P.M. and open them at 6 A.M

The Breakaways

rsser
24th February 2013, 11:45 PM
Breakaways.

Damn good shot.

Yeah, gas fridges are only good for dropping the temp by 15C or so. And cheapies don't do thermostasis.

Next time take a compressor chest fridge.

But you're getting your electrolytes.

A Duke
24th February 2013, 11:57 PM
Hi,
If the hot heat exchanger of the fridge is accessible hang a wet cloth (tea towel or such) over it. It acts as a evaporative cooler,the heat exchanger has to lose heat and if the temp is so hot that it can't, fridge no work.
Regards

rsser
25th February 2013, 09:12 AM
Some folk fit computer fans to help performance.

And you should've been told to keep it level when running on gas.

Correction: some folk report a 25 degree drop under some circumstances.

Grumpy John
25th February 2013, 03:18 PM
Ern, thanks for the info re computer fan. The fridge has been running on DC while traveling and AC at the caravan park. It was only on gas for the stopover on the way up. I might try some wet tea towels on the heat exchanger and see if that makes a difference.

Grumpy John
25th February 2013, 03:35 PM
I spent a few hours doing the Breakaways drive today, this place is beautiful it rivals Uluru, The Olgas and The Bungle Bungles I'd never heard of it till I picked up a brochure at the caravan park where I'm staying. I could spend a month photographing the sunrise/sunsets here. But maybe in July/August when it's cooler :rolleyes:.

Grumpy John
25th February 2013, 08:11 PM
I've met some really nice people at the caravan park and we've swapped stories about road conditions etc. One couple just got in from Wilpena Pound via the Ood. Tk, which is the way I'll be going. They said the road is really good as long as you don't drive too fast and drop your tyre pressure. The guy has a gizmo from ARB that does the job and he's going to do my tyres to 28psi.

Some shots of thhe cooper Pedy Township.

dai sensei
25th February 2013, 09:49 PM
:cool:

FenceFurniture
25th February 2013, 10:52 PM
GJ, while you're there, see if you can turn up a book called "The Man Underground" written by Kenneth Cook. It's about CP in the 60s, and the scene describing "Ivan" is hysterically funny.

rsser
26th February 2013, 07:37 AM
Breakaways is the 'coast' of the ancient inland sea. The white stuff is dead marine micro-organisms.

BTW The Pink Roadhouse at Ood. recommends deflating tyres by c. 30%.

Grumpy John
27th February 2013, 07:08 PM
No phone reception yesterday so no postings till I arrived at Wilpena pound this afternoon. It's been raining steadily since I got here, so now the dust accumulated along the Ood Tk is now red mud on the floor of the camper. Last night I stopped over at Coward springs and noticed the dust in the camper then, before I left in the morning I covered the vent holes in the door with duct tape. There was still dust in the camper tonight, but not as much. however, the back of the wagon is full of red dust because the back window shattered. Really weird as it happened as I was stopped on the side of the road taking some photos. The only thing I can think of is that maybe a stone bounced off the camper from the rear tyres and chipped the window and the stresses just built up. The only other thing to happen is the hose from the water tank to the hand pump got damaged somewhere between the Oodnadatta turnoff and William Creekk

Day 4 Photos

Day 5 Photos

This is where the back window blew out.

Grumpy John
27th February 2013, 08:39 PM
$1 each for 200 old bones or more, no chicken.

How about Emu, it tastes like chicken :p?

dai sensei
27th February 2013, 09:13 PM
Weird about the rear window, especially whilst stopped :? You said it was raining, could it have been cold rain on hot glass?

My travel was lacking photos, but yours is now just making me feel really bad :-. Don't stop though, yours are great :2tsup:, wish I had a camera like yours.

RETIRED
27th February 2013, 10:12 PM
My travel was lacking photos, but yours is now just making me feel really bad :-. Don't stop though, yours are great :2tsup:, wish I had a camera like yours.Nah, too bloody heavy. :roflmao:

rsser
28th February 2013, 06:45 AM
Good pics. Ain't William Ck a hole. And the bore spa's trick.

Sounds like you stopped at the Prairie Hotel in Parachilna for the road kill platter.

Doing a front or rear window is par for the course out there. We velcro a Corflute protector to our rear window to protect it from stones bouncing off the camper trailer's stone guard.

Grumpy John
28th February 2013, 09:58 PM
Good pics. Ain't William Ck a hole. And the bore spa's trick.

Sounds like you stopped at the Prairie Hotel in Parachilna for the road kill platter.

Doing a front or rear window is par for the course out there. We velcro a Corflute protector to our rear window to protect it from stones bouncing off the camper trailer's stone guard.

Had lunch at Wm. Creek, ate it in 2 minutes flat before the flies carried it off.
The spa was fantastic.
Stopped at Leigh Ck. for fuel and headed straight to the Pound, was a bit tired and not in the best of moods after the back window blowout :((.

Grumpy John
28th February 2013, 10:09 PM
Had a really good nights sleep last night, the temp. was down around 15 Deg. I even kept the t-shirt on and slept under the covers for a change. The fridge is back to normal operating temperature as am I :D.

Some photos of the rear window damage and my trip to Sacred Canyon and Stokes Hill lookout.

Duct tape, don't leave home without it.

Grumpy John
1st March 2013, 02:09 PM
Did a short walk to the Hills Homestead and on to Wangara lookout. Off to Deadman hut and Red Hill Lookout this arvo.

RETIRED
1st March 2013, 02:55 PM
Good shots John. When are the aerial ones coming? :rolleyes:

Grumpy John
1st March 2013, 07:01 PM
No money left for scenic flights, I've got a back window and a dinged rim to pay for :((. However if Springwater comes good I may just get back into the black (see post #16), I've got a boot full of skeletons (and it's starting to smell).

Deadman hut was a waste of time and I didn't want to do the 9k walk to Red Hill Lookout in the afternoon heat, so this arvo was a bit of a loss. Got a couple of good shots though :).

Grumpy John
2nd March 2013, 11:40 AM
Got up at 5:30 this morning to do the Mt. Ohlssen Bagge walk and hopefully get some good sunrise shots. Described as a steep rocky incline followed by rewarding views of Wilpena Pound and the surrounding area.
Note to self: John, you're 61 years old NOT 31, take it easy.
Got just over half way up the mountain and was absolutely knackered, took some photos and headed back down. Going down was not much easier, it's a lot easier to fall down a mountain than it is to fall up a mountain. Having a the Lowepro and tripod on my back and carrying a torch didn't make things any easier either.

Some if the "rocky incline" :oo:

rsser
2nd March 2013, 06:40 PM
Great country GJ.

Try and do the Bunyeroo Gorge Drive if the wagon is up to it.

Grumpy John
2nd March 2013, 08:48 PM
Great country GJ.

Try and do the Bunyeroo Gorge Drive if the wagon is up to it.

Had a crack at it yesterday coming from the Blinman end. Got about 7-8 k's in and the road was a washout and even if I could have negotiated the wash the vertical climb was too steep. I'm going to try coming in from the other (Wilpena) end tomorrow. I'm getting a bit sick of unsealed roads though as the duct tape is not holding up too well.

rsser
2nd March 2013, 09:37 PM
Wilpena end is mostly downhill. You may have better luck. But last time there we found some dips that needed negotiating but the Foz was good.

You're pushing it a bit with that setup. You got lucky with the rain on the Ood; but not the temps.

If you have time look at heading up to Arkaroola. Last stretch of dirt road is gravelled and drained. Luxury.

Grumpy John
3rd March 2013, 02:38 PM
Took a drive out the Banyaroo gorge Track this morning. Stopped at the Banyaroo and Wilco Creek hike, figured I'd pushed my luck getting this far. Turns out i'd run out of luck as I had a massive tyre blowout somewhere along the way :((.

Don't ask what's in the plastic garbage bags :no:.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dyD3UlRZIE&feature=youtu.be

rsser
3rd March 2013, 09:51 PM
Beaut shot of the dead native cypress.

Tyre's looking pretty trashed. Lucky you're nearer Hawker than William Ck.

Grumpy John
5th March 2013, 07:36 AM
I got home this morning just after midnight, I've got a bit of cleaning up to do in the camper and I've got to organise a new rear window for the wagon and get the dinged rim repaired. I'll post my thoughts on the trip and a few more photo's later today.

Grumpy John
6th March 2013, 12:24 PM
Arrived home from the trip just after midnight Tuesday morning and after being on the road for about 16 hrs was completely bushed. Spent most of yesterday cleaning the dust out of the camper and washing everything. Arranged for the back window to be repaired, and the repairman has just left, cost was $325 :C. Teed up a second hand rim to replaced the dinged one (cheaper than getting the damaged one re-rolled), I'll be picking it up this arvo hand getting the tyre swapped over.

I would have liked to have spent more time exploring along the Ood Tk., but the oppressive heat and dust coming in through the broken window was making things a bit uncomfortable to say the least. The same goes for Wilpena Pound, just about anything worth seeing involves traveling on some unpaved road and the dust was really becoming an issue and even though the broken window was taped up more and more glass was coming adrift. Even with the broken window, dinged rim and destroyed tyre I still had a great time and will definitely be making a return trip to Wilpena Pound. I would even consider another drive along the Ood Tk., to Coober Pedy, although this time I'd be better prepared and do it maybe in June/July when the temperatures are a bit more tolerable.

Things I've learnt: (in no particular order)
Every time you stop do a walk-a-round and look under the car and van. On more than one occasion the Anderson plug had worked loose and the hose from the water tank to the pump had been pulled off.

Before you set out secure ALL wiring and hoses up as high as possible.

Tape some core flute to the rear window.

Fit a stone guard to the A frame of the van or fit some checker plate to the van.

Fit some roof vents to help positive pressure the van to help keep out dust.

It's better to have the fridge empty when you're traveling. If you must have food and drink in the fridge store bottles vertically in a container. I lost a couple of stubbies that were laying down. The constant vibration over the unsealed roads caused them to lose their contents (very messy).

Have at least 3 rolls each of duct/gaffer/electrical tape. You may not need it, but if you do it will be worth it's weight in gold. A packet of assorted cable ties wouldn't go astray either. I found that gaffer tape holds up better in the heat than duct tape. Duct tape tends to go soft and lose adhesion DAMHIKT.

Be prepared for the 3 way fridge to have a coronary if the temperatures stay above 35 degrees for more than two days :rolleyes:.

There's probably more but I can't think of anything just now.

A couple more pictures to finish off.

Some bones for Springwater

What's that Skip, you're hungry?

Chesand
6th March 2013, 12:46 PM
Thanks for sharing your photos and experiences. You caused me to pull out the photos of our trip to Flinders Ranges in 2008 and again in 2010 when returning from a Lake Eyre tour and relive those trips.
As I said in a earlier post, the country there is addictive and I am not surprised that you intend returning.

rsser
6th March 2013, 01:24 PM
Great trip John. Onya for having a go.

Mid-year it can get down to zero overnight outback so your stubbies will be cold for brekky! We copped -2 near Blinman last June (but that has some altitude).

Good point about doing regular checks.

Dust: yeah, you do the best to seal things but it still gets in everywhere and leaks out months or years later.

Re Anderson plugs: funny when you buy a camper they don't tell you that these can come apart. Ours shorted on the tow bar once and fried all the electrics. You can buy clamping mounts for them. So far we've just put cable tie loops on each with a spring clip to join them.

Tyres: see if you can get some Light Truck construction in an AT tread. They're much more durable out there when the pressure is dropped. Much better traction on the gravel, less likely to get sidewall staked. We have two sets of wheels with one set just for outback as they cost more than std tyres and are a bit noisy on the blacktop.

Other repair bits might include epoxy putty, fencing wire, electrical spares for camper and car along with a multi-meter, some radiator goo, spare belts and hoses. It's not that you can't get spares outback it's just that you might have to wait a while. Bush time ain't the same as city time. Taking a salvage kit is good manners as while a passing 4by will be willing to pull you out of a bog s/he won't like getting their own kit filthy.

Well I'm surprised you haven't resolved on a 4by for the next trip (or is this under discussion? :rolleyes: )

Grumpy John
6th March 2013, 01:28 PM
W.A. = Wait Awhile
N.T. = Not Today, Not Tomorrow.

rsser
6th March 2013, 01:33 PM
PS Take a decent sized board as a jack pad, and a few smaller ones to level the camper if needed with a bulls-eye level. Make sure your car jack fits the trailer as well.

rsser
6th March 2013, 01:46 PM
w.a. = wait awhile
n.t. = not today, not tomorrow.

... :D

s.a.?

Grumpy John
6th March 2013, 01:48 PM
W.A. = Wait Awhile
N.T. = Not Today, Not Tomorrow.

I've got 6 of these :2tsup:.

rsser
6th March 2013, 01:57 PM
Cool. Should do the same. We keep leaving them behind :-

Had an interesting chat with the copper at Tibooburra last trip. He was talking about the exceptions he'd witnessed:

A road train came in with the windscreen completely stoved in. It had hit a Wedgie. They feed off road kill up there and are common, and commonly slow to get off the ground.

4bies go out with camper trailers. The right tyres on the vehicle; rubbish on the campers.

Day 1 a huge Winnebago comes in, from Innamincka via Cameron Corner. Adventurous to say the least.
Days 2-5: road closed due to rain.
Day 6: road opened to 4WD only. A whole stream of vehicles head out (us included) and among them a bunch of 4bies towing blacktop only vans.

Geez you'd get jaded observing that and -off having to go out to 'assist'.

dai sensei
6th March 2013, 04:25 PM
Sounds like a great adventure, even with the mishaps. No matter how long you go for, you tend to not have enough time, the more you have the more you discover.

Stones, you recommend a stone guard on the trailer/camper that I can understand, but what about decent mudflaps. I note on a lot of grey nomad cars they have huge mudflaps going almost all the way to the ground. No issue for me really but I know mine are far to small, so was going to see what was on offer at the caravan and camping show tomorrow (at Caulfield Racecourse Thu-Tue). I'm also looking at other accessories, more weight :rolleyes:, and ideas.

Also, why bring back kangaroo bones :?. I can understand dinosaur bones, but you can get kangaroo bones on any country road, even some city ones :U

Did you bring back any sleepers, desert timbers etc?

rsser
6th March 2013, 05:09 PM
Neil, big flaps behind the rear wheels are often resorted to. Plenty of posts out there in webland.

It's a contested solution to the problem.

It's not my patch but one of the difficulties appears to be reduction of the necessary cooling air flow over rear axles and diff.

Some folk resort instead to a mesh panel under the tow bar.

I don't do hard core with the Foz and CT but have done lots of outback kms; stone guard on the CT and corflute on the back window have done the job.

Ironwood
30th March 2013, 07:08 PM
Have you made it home yet GJ ?

rsser
5th April 2013, 03:58 PM
No answer Brad so I suspect his missus sold his bones to Springwater.

Grumpy John
5th April 2013, 07:42 PM
Sorry Brad, I must have missed the email notification of your post, I got back on the 6th March. Post #54.

Ironwood
5th April 2013, 08:18 PM
Sorry Brad, I must have missed the email notification of your post, I got back on the 6th March. Post #54.

No worries, I obviously missed that post.
Just went back and read that part, shame about the damage to the vehicle, just one of those shyt things that happen I guess.