PDA

View Full Version : How Happy Are We ?

issatree
18th January 2013, 09:24 PM
Hi All,
Although the buy was a bit premature, the Yellow Woodfast is in the Shed with our 4 Grandsons, 16 to 7yrs. having a great time on The Lathe, & always 2 of them there at the 1 time.
I had an extra Black Nova Chuck, but only the 50mm. Jaws, so that is making Turning easier.
The Shed has only a Gravel Floor, I made a Dukboard out of a Pallet, so at least there is something solid to stand on.
The Lathe has 1 of those Aluminum Stands, with adjustable legs.
The only Tool they don't have at the moment is a Skew.

They are 1½ Hrs away, but I wood like to be there when they wood be using it.
There is loads of Wood where they are, for them to use, but they have to use a Hand Saw to cut what they want.
They have a New Grinder with a 120G W A Oxide Wheel so far.
We took 6 Woodturning Books for them to read ???, but a bit to interested in actually using The Lathe, to be reading.
I never really thought it wood take on so well, & they have made Honey Dippers, Spurtles, Dibbers, Tops, 1 attempt at a Small Bowl. Not to keen on the sanding side of things.
They have 2 Face Shields & Good Paper Dust Masks as well.
Of course Boys will be Boys, " You had a longer go than I did, so I should be making something now ".
We are Exstactic ?.

Treecycle
18th January 2013, 09:35 PM
Sounds like they are as keen as Grandpa! Who is having the most fun?
Good to see your health has improved enough that you can enjoy all this again.

brendan stemp
19th January 2013, 07:26 AM
Onya Lewis.:2tsup:

Mobyturns
19th January 2013, 07:31 AM
Great to see, hope you can get across there often. :D

artme
19th January 2013, 04:54 PM
Enough to gladden the hardest heart!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

dr4g0nfly
19th January 2013, 05:52 PM
Ah, the joy of being a Granddad and having eager young minds to fill. I just wish our's lived a little closer.

Well done on forming an early interest in making and the learning of hand-skills.

Mulgabill
19th January 2013, 05:58 PM
At least they will have plenty of RG to turn with:;

powderpost
19th January 2013, 09:41 PM
Good to see... :2tsup: I am a bit envious, my grandson is only 2 yrs and 3 months old, a bit on the junior side yet.
Jim

issatree
20th January 2013, 09:41 PM
Hi All,
Went to the local Sun. Market this morning, & for once in a long time it was full with Sellers.

Went to this Chaps Trailer, $1 ea. or 3 for $2 or 5 For $3.
Bargains galore.

2 Stanley Screwdrivers, cut the ends off, so they fit the Black Nova Chuck, that the Grandsons now have. Have to find some 35mm. Spigot Jaws, somewhere.

1 large Hack Saw Blade, as I will give the Boys my old 2mm. H/S Blade Parting Tool.

So I cut the ends off, Ground the Teeth off, Cleaned & Profiled the New Blade, Put 4 Layers x 6in. long of Heat Shrink, for a Handle.
Looks a Million Dollars.

Small plastic P&N Small Drill Bit Holder, rummaged through the Trailer, & found most of the Bits, from 5/!6in Down. Elated.

The Holder wood have to be a Collectors Item.
So all up, I paid $4. But, I am a good customer ??.

Super Elated.

powderpost
20th January 2013, 10:27 PM
Hi All,
Went to the local Sun. Market this morning, & for once in a long time it was full with Sellers.

Went to this Chaps Trailer, $1 ea. or 3 for $2 or 5 For $3.
Bargains galore.

2 Stanley Screwdrivers, cut the ends off, so they fit the Black Nova Chuck, that the Grandsons now have. Have to find some 35mm. Spigot Jaws, somewhere.

1 large Hack Saw Blade, as I will give the Boys my old 2mm. H/S Blade Parting Tool.

So I cut the ends off, Ground the Teeth off, Cleaned & Profiled the New Blade, Put 4 Layers x 6in. long of Heat Shrink, for a Handle.
Looks a Million Dollars.

Small plastic P&N Small Drill Bit Holder, rummaged through the Trailer, & found most of the Bits, from 5/!6in Down. Elated.

The Holder wood have to be a Collectors Item.
So all up, I paid $4. But, I am a good customer ??.

Super Elated.

And I thought Ned Kelly was dead???? :D Well done Lewis.
Jim