PDA

View Full Version : Bowl Gouges: Why I use...

brendan stemp
19th January 2013, 08:14 AM
...Woodcut bowl gouges.

Ad or info? Take your pick but I intended it to be more of the latter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9HbjdymVMA

Mobyturns
19th January 2013, 08:27 AM
:2tsup:

Preaching to the converted here. Its amazing how much difference the solid shaft makes, over my Hamlet gouges, even on my small Lin Lam bowls as they are very dry & turned thin. I use the double ended woodcuts with an ER collett handle.

A couple of small suggestions? At about the 5'30" mark is it possible to show a tighter shot of the shaft end to show the construction of the spigott & a couple of tighter shots early in to show they are a two part tool shaft & the length of the flute.

Nice natural presentation in the clip to Brendan - sincerely hope you do more.

RETIRED
19th January 2013, 09:07 AM
Good video Brendan. Agree with Moby about a close up.

brendan stemp
19th January 2013, 10:27 AM
:2tsup:

Preaching to the converted here. Its amazing how much difference the solid shaft makes, over my Hamlet gouges, even on my small Lin Lam bowls as they are very dry & turned thin. I use the double ended woodcuts with an ER collett handle.

A couple of small suggestions? At about the 5'30" mark is it possible to show a tighter shot of the shaft end to show the construction of the spigott & a couple of tighter shots early in to show they are a two part tool shaft & the length of the flute.

Nice natural presentation in the clip to Brendan - sincerely hope you do more.

I suppose we need to start another sub-forum for the Woodcut Bowl Gouge Users:D Good to hear your one of the enlightened converted:D

And thanks for your feedback. I agree with what you are saying. I did have that shot but I'm still trying to work out how to insert a different shot over existing dialogue without putting the whole dialogue out of sync. I'll work on it. The other technical issue is judging the quality of the shots, while shooting, and whether the detail is there when I come down to the computer to edit it. I suppose it really is about being impatient and not going back to do the shots again. It all takes time and I have this nagging voice in my head (not Penny 'cause she's on holidays at the moment) telling me I should be doing something more productive.

brendan stemp
19th January 2013, 10:28 AM
Good video Brendan. Agree with Moby about a close up.

Thanks NAWM.

RETIRED
19th January 2013, 01:52 PM
Nawm.?

brendan stemp
19th January 2013, 03:57 PM
Nawm.?

Not Nawm, NAWM. As in Neanderthal Axe Wielding Mongrel:D

Christos
19th January 2013, 04:02 PM

Why too many acronyms.

What if we shorten it to NAM. Then we reverse the lettering to get MAN.

At least I think it's funny. :q

turnerted
19th January 2013, 04:15 PM
Brendan
Interesting video .
If you are using a grinding jig for shapening, as I do,I presume with these gouges that you have no flat edges of the flutes to align the tool in the jig, Does this cause a problem?
Ted

Tim the Timber Turner
19th January 2013, 04:20 PM
Good stufff Brendan.

So I was wondering who it was that introduced you to the Woodcut Bowl gouge?

Cheers

Tim:)

A Duke
19th January 2013, 04:20 PM

:doh:Bally hell I googled it and got "Know What I Mean" which seemed to fit.
:rotfl::roflmao2:
Regards

tea lady
19th January 2013, 04:38 PM
Not Nawm, NAWM. As in Neanderthal Axe Wielding Mongrel:D:rofl: Which is pronounced "norm" :D

tea lady
19th January 2013, 04:39 PM
It is very hard to do videos all by yourself. Need a camera person who is game enough to say. "no no. Do it again." :D Well done.

dr4g0nfly
19th January 2013, 05:49 PM
Brendan, how much CA glue do you use?

Now I know this might sound like a strange question (yes, I know we woodturners pour it in but it's soaked up into the grain) but on non-porous materials like metals only need about one spot/drip per square centimetre.

I only use the one drip on my homemade Orland Tools and it's certainly enough.

It certainly should not be used like plastic cement (modelling glue) or was it a fairly empty bottle and took time to squeeze out?

brendan stemp
19th January 2013, 06:54 PM
Brendan
Interesting video .
If you are using a grinding jig for shapening, as I do,I presume with these gouges that you have no flat edges of the flutes to align the tool in the jig, Does this cause a problem?
Ted

Spot on Ted, so you have to eye-ball it. I have thought of putting a scratch line down the middle of the shaft, in line with the centre of the flute to help with this issue but have always found the eye-ball technique to work.

brendan stemp
19th January 2013, 07:00 PM
Brendan, how much CA glue do you use?

Now I know this might sound like a strange question (yes, I know we woodturners pour it in but it's soaked up into the grain) but on non-porous materials like metals only need about one spot/drip per square centimetre.

I only use the one drip on my homemade Orland Tools and it's certainly enough.

It certainly should not be used like plastic cement (modelling glue) or was it a fairly empty bottle and took time to squeeze out?

Perhaps I did use too much but not as much as it may appear. Yes the bottle of glue was/is emptyish. Apart from glue squeezing out which is wasted is there a problem with using too much? I would've thought I used more than the drip/sq. cent. you have mentioned and have never really concerned myself with how much glue to use. I haven't had any problems in the past and have used this method many times. So I am interested in what you have said.

brendan stemp
19th January 2013, 07:03 PM
Good stufff Brendan.

So I was wondering who it was that introduced you to the Woodcut Bowl gouge?

Cheers

Tim:)

Didn't you get that bottle of wine I sent you through the mail??:wink:

brendan stemp
19th January 2013, 07:08 PM
:rofl: Which is pronounced "norm" :D

Yep, I reckon we have a new nickname for and I'm thinking you should be the one to get him familiar with it. Norm suits him well.

And thanks for the comments on the difficulties with solo videoing. I don't even have a remote to turn the camera off.

tea lady
19th January 2013, 08:24 PM
Yep, I reckon we have a new nickname for and I'm thinking you should be the one to get him familiar with it. Norm suits him well.
:C Dunno if I will do that.
And thanks for the comments on the difficulties with solo videoing. I don't even have a remote to turn the camera off.The hard thing is framing. (One little thing. You might have done a little TOO much hand waving. :U But its looks OK. )

RETIRED
19th January 2013, 09:07 PM
:C Dunno if I will do that. A very, very wise move.:roflmao:

Pat
19th January 2013, 10:02 PM
Norm . . . is that the same as a Spindle Master?

I have several Woodcut Bowl gouges and use them on occasion. I rate them along with my P&N and Thommo's. The solid bar comes in handy for doing burls, dampening the vibration.

issatree
19th January 2013, 10:40 PM
Hi All & Brendan,
There must be something wrong with me.
I don't get V'rations, with my P&N 3/8in. Bowl Gouge.
But, let it be known, I am not a Bowl Turner, although I had a crack at 1 today. A real Monster ??? 4in. Across, 2½ Deep. & a nice bit of Variegated Pittosporum. Yes, the Speed was up, as that is how I Turn.
Not trying to be a Smart Arm, but on Occasions, I have Demoed using 1 hand to take the centre out, so does this Vibration come from Bigger Bowls, & I take it they come from doing the inside, or have I got this all wrong ???.

Scott
19th January 2013, 10:43 PM
Thanks for sharing Brendan, I'm enjoying your series so far. The sound quality on the vids are excellent. In the video you mention that fluted gouges exert more vibration than the Woodcut. Wouldn't you say the vibration actually occurs on a bowl or platter the further towards the outside edge of the piece you get? I've got a 5/8 Thompson and don't notice any vibration when at at distance from the bowl, but notice it more towards the outer edge of the work.

Kidbee
20th January 2013, 04:52 AM
Hi All & Brendan,
There must be something wrong with me.
I don't get V'rations, with my P&N 3/8in. Bowl Gouge.
But, let it be known, I am not a Bowl Turner, although I had a crack at 1 today. A real Monster ??? 4in. Across, 2½ Deep. & a nice bit of Variegated Pittosporum. Yes, the Speed was up, as that is how I Turn.
Not trying to be a Smart Arm, but on Occasions, I have Demoed using 1 hand to take the centre out, so does this Vibration come from Bigger Bowls, & I take it they come from doing the inside, or have I got this all wrong ???.

Is it all to do with product promotion? They say you don't look a gift horse in the mouth to see how old it is!

dr4g0nfly
20th January 2013, 05:38 AM
Brendon,

As a young lad in the 70's, when I bought my first tube of CA glue, the instructions said what I repeated about 1 spot per sq cm on non-absorbent material. It also explained about the high tensile and low shear strengths. I note we don't get any of that now though.

I suppose all interesting stuff to a young lad with more than a passing interest in science, so I guess it stuck in my brain. In fact until I took up turning I'd only ever used it this way, I always had other glues for other materials.

I cannot see that using too much makes any difference except as you noted, it can cause 'hydraulic Lock' and take longer to cure as more glue needs more moisture.

As an aside, if my CA gets a bit 'thick' I drop the tube in a hot coffee (yes I make sure the lid is on tight) and just like your heating the metal, it thins. Then again maybe that's something you guys don't need worry about at the moment.

MAKEITOUTOFWOOD
20th January 2013, 09:44 AM
Brendon I just wanted to say that I have been enjoying your videos on you tube. Keep up the great work. Maybe a series on the recorders you make? That would be really cool.

The woodcut gouges look interesting too.

Thanks,
Mike

brendan stemp
20th January 2013, 10:15 AM
Is it about product promotion?? Well I did admit from the very start of the video that I do have an interest in Woodcut Tools. And at the start of this thread I alluded to the fact it could be viewed as an ad but the points I have made about the gouges in the video are not hype and I firmly believe these gouges are better to use. As I said in the video I liked the tools so much after my initial use that I wanted to keep using them. You know when you like a tool because you find yourself reaching for it rather than other similar tools.

I know a synnical view on my opinions is healthy given the gouges have been given to me but I am trying to be honest and transparent on this topic and think I have provided a good argument in favour of them. Hence this healthy discussion.

To the vibration issue. One of the main reasons we have bigger bowl gouges is to provide bigger sections of steel to overcome the weakening of the shaft by the flute. So to say you haven't experienced any vibration when using your 5/8" gouge is fair enough. But do the same job with a 3/8" gouge with 50mm of tool hanging over the tool rest and I reckon you will notice a difference. So, my thought is the 10mm Woodcut tool has the same strength as a regular 1/2" or 13mm gouge. Because of this I now only use my 10mm and 13mm Woodcut gouges and all the other gouges (including the 16mm and 19mm Woodcut ones) are gathering dust.

Scott, I accept what you have said but it is a different issue. Yes, no matter how big the bowl gouge is you can get vibration around the rim of bowl coming from the timber itself. This is a product of the wood flexing as pressure from the gouge is applied. This is why I try to finish the rims before I take too much wood away from the walls of the bowl.

Drillit
20th January 2013, 10:31 AM
Brendan,
I thought the woodcut tips were epoxied in. I am about to replace my 19mm
tip so I will give the CA a go, much easier, eh. I recently bought their large NRS
and it is the bees knees. Thanks for the heads up on that and the video, terrific. Drillit.

robo hippy
21st January 2013, 08:30 AM
Hmm, I always thought that if I was having vibration problems/tool chatter, the best solution was to move the tool rest closer. Never liked smaller gouge diameters. They don't fit my big paws. A lot of newbies, and even some of we professionals will do the how far out can I go till it is unsafe. The newbies usually find that out the hard way.

robo hippy

Jonzjob
21st January 2013, 09:09 AM
Brendon, I had a look at the Woodcut kit a couple of years aback and decided to try one. It was cheaper for me to get it sent from Woodcut in NZ than from the U.K. ?????

I just had the shaft/3/8th" spindle gouge and a spare tip. I made my own handle and it's a great bit of kit and as you say so very stable with the solid shaft.

I have a Oneway sharpening rig on my old B&D grinder and putting a good cutting edge on the Woodcut is just as easy as any of the other gouges. In fact it is easier, because a couple of my 'standard' spindle gouges are getting a bit short. This will never happen with the Woodcut will it :cool: :cool:

As a matter of interest, it was a LOT cheaper to get it from NZ purely because the U.K./France

:cool:

post was several times the NZ/U.K. post. Funny old world init?

NeilS
21st January 2013, 10:47 PM
Is it all to do with product promotion? They say you don't look a gift horse in the mouth to see how old it is!

Those of us who know Brendan well can vouch for his integrity; his professional judgement wouldn't be swayed by freebies.

blackwoods
22nd January 2013, 06:32 AM
Hi Brendan,
I have a P&N and a Woodcut 12mm Bowl gouge and I much prefer the Woodcut. I'm sure it is all down to personal choice but I like the extra weight in the Woodcut. I also seem to get a better cut following the shape on the inside of the bowl so I can finish with one continuous cut. (if that makes sense). The Woodcut clears the timber quicker so I can always see where I am and what is coming off.
I also sharpen with a Tormek and have no problem lining up the round bar to sharpen. The Tormek jig clamps down very well, even on round.
Good videos! keep it up.

Barry

brendan stemp
22nd January 2013, 09:19 AM
Those of us who know Brendan well can vouch for his integrity; his professional judgement wouldn't be swayed by freebies.

Thanks for that, Neil.

People can question my intentions, it's something I need to live with. But with all product promotion (if that's how some want to view it), most can cut through the hype and get to the bones of the issue. I find it very hard to wax lyrical about something I intrinsically don't believe in.

brendan stemp
22nd January 2013, 09:31 AM
Hi Brendan,
I have a P&N and a Woodcut 12mm Bowl gouge and I much prefer the Woodcut. I'm sure it is all down to personal choice but I like the extra weight in the Woodcut. I also seem to get a better cut following the shape on the inside of the bowl so I can finish with one continuous cut. (if that makes sense). The Woodcut clears the timber quicker so I can always see where I am and what is coming off.
I also sharpen with a Tormek and have no problem lining up the round bar to sharpen. The Tormek jig clamps down very well, even on round.
Good videos! keep it up.

Barry

You make some good points Barry. I really think its like the Holden vs Ford debate. P&N vs Sorby etc. People have their pet likes or preferences or allegiance. However, with Woodcut they are sufficiently different in design to offer something other than a different colour handle or brand on the shaft. And like you and me, its not 'til you try them that you notice this difference. But some just aren't prepared to consider anything other than what they are used to.

Mobyturns
22nd January 2013, 09:39 AM
You make some good points Barry. I really think its like the Holden vs Ford debate. P&N vs Sorby etc. People have their pet likes or preferences or allegiance. However, with Woodcut they are sufficiently different in design to offer something other than a different colour handle or brand on the shaft. And like you and me, its not 'til you try them that you notice this difference. But some just aren't prepared to consider anything other than what they are used to.

I think a lot of it has to do with the flute design & the heft of the tool - the weight is where you want it with the Woodcut's & not in the handle. I believe it helps with the vibration & harmonics on my thin dry turnings. That's my take anyway.