PDA

View Full Version : Murder most foul -or- The red handed slicer

enelef
19th January 2013, 03:49 PM
Well, the kitchen bench looks like it was part of a scene from a slasher movie.
Picture Saw mashed with Japanese Samurai flick. And if someone catches me at anything - i will be red handed. :redface::guilty:

But the beetroot has now been cooked - pickled and bottled - :ohyaaa:. Not sure i can wait a week before slapping some on a burger. hmmmm :tongue5:

Cook beetroot (boil the blighters in water for about twenty to thirty minutes - depends on size)
peel beets, slice on a mandolin

Liquor - simmer this lot for a few minutes to let the sugar disolve and flavours integrate.
1.5 cups vinegar
3/4 cup water
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 tspn mustard seeds
1 tspn whole pepper
2 cloves
1/2 stick cinnamon
bay leaf

Beets into jars, poor over the liquor (through a strainer/seive), seal and put in the cupboard for at least a week to develop. Longer is beeter.:laughing1:

fenderbelly
25th January 2013, 11:35 AM
Just did the last of mine yesterday, 4jars.

Used white vinegar-sugar and a bit of salt in two jars.
I then did two jars using apple cider vinegar-sugar and salt. I used this about 10 years ago and found the vinegar
wasn't just right but tastes change and i'm giving it another go.

My first batch this year ( 3 weeks ago ) i used white vinegar- sugar-salt and cinammon for the first time,
only simmered it for a couple of minutes so not sure what the taste will be like.
Will try it this weekend i think.

rod1949
25th January 2013, 03:23 PM
Beetroot that I bottled about mid last year I put chilli flakes in a couple of the jars. We're currently enjoying them, the missus reccons its got a bit of zing (she didn't know I put in the chilli).:firedevil:

enelef
26th January 2013, 08:25 AM
Hmm - chillies in the beetroot.

That makes me think.

Maybe i will try some in the whole baby beets? Maybe some of the smoked ancho chillies in the cupboard to add some smokey depth.:D

enelef
20th February 2013, 07:35 AM
The smokey chilli idea got to me. It got into my brain and wouldn't let go. It demanded I do something, but i resisted...for a little while.

OK - So I made another batch up of the standard beets on the weekend - should be enough now to last until next season.

But while I was in the process, I also made up enough extra pickling liquor for two two small jars.

Into this liquor I added a reconstituted chipotle chilli (smoked jalapeno)
I was nicely surprised by the flavour. It provided a really nice smokiness to the mix with a hint of warmth (cough cough). :burnt:

It will be a couple of weeks before i open them - but i will let you know how the sliced beetroot goes with the smokey pickling liquor.:;

Cheers