PDA

View Full Version : Jacaranda salad bowl

wood hacker
19th January 2013, 11:36 PM
I had a request from a customer for a salad bowl. She left it very open ended, leaving the choice of timber and design to me. After a couple of false starts I ended up with a lovely piece of Jacaranda (thanks Neil). This peice was from a 100 year old tree and had a largish side branch come into the edge. Wanting to make best use of the possible figure where this limb came in I included as much of it as possible in the blank. What I ended up with was an amazing section of feather grain (at least thats what I call it) running across the bowl. The downside is that the pith from the side branch had left a largish void. This was a bit of a quandry for me as I need to fill it but didn't want to detract too much from the feather grain right beside it. In the end I went with a dark blue tinted resin and am reasonably happy with the result.

The shape of the bowl is a little differnt to my norm, having much steeper sides but as this is a functional piece rather than decorative I decided to go for max internal space rather than perfect form. Final dimensions are about 260mm x 85mm with a wall thickness of about 12mm. Once again a bit chunkier in the wall than normal but it does give the bowl a pleasent weight to it. Finish is WOP

cheers
WH

Pat
20th January 2013, 06:00 AM
Good looking bowl.

Sawdust Maker
20th January 2013, 09:49 AM
Good looking bowl.

I agree

BlackbuttWA
20th January 2013, 10:11 AM
Nice looking bowl with beautiful grain.
The grain is much better than the Jacaranda bowl & vase I turned earlier, probably due to my timber being under 30cm trunk with no limbs.
A very light timber which turns great.
Great work

Col

powderpost
20th January 2013, 10:21 AM
Nice job.. :2tsup:.
Jim

Drillit
20th January 2013, 10:33 AM
Love it and it cuts like butter. Drillit.

mick59wests
20th January 2013, 11:52 AM
I love the bowl, especially the finish on the bottom. I'll have to try something similar for my next large one
cheers
Mick

dai sensei
20th January 2013, 01:52 PM
Certainly a nice bit of timber, with colour darker than your usual Jac due to its age. The bowl has worked out well and I'm sure your client will be happy :U

My only comment would be to remove the chuck rebate from the bottom and try to match your inner and outer shapes.

dr4g0nfly
20th January 2013, 07:24 PM
You were right to keep the grain feathering/flame it sets off the piece. Less of it inside but when in use and full of salad it's the outside that will be seen.

I like the recovery of the crack by making it a feature, clever idea:2tsup:.

artme
20th January 2013, 08:45 PM
I would be more than please to see that on my table. Great job!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup: