PDA

View Full Version : What's a burl?

Coldamus
15th April 2005, 03:39 PM
I'm not into woodturning yet so please excuse my ignorance.

Until recently I thought a burl meant a crosscut slice from a log or tree. Is that correct or can someone give a more definitive answer?

regards
Coldamus

silentC
15th April 2005, 03:47 PM
A burl is like a wart on the side of a tree. A bit like a camel's hump. You can turn them or they are often sliced to produce veneers. They generally contain very knotty grain.

Rowan
15th April 2005, 09:01 PM
a burl is a piece of wood that must- by a yet to be written law - be sent to me!!!! Most of them are as hard as anything and not the things to start with (take it from past experience :D ) But the end results are normally nothing short of spectacular. If your really interested troll thru the pictures section. I know I have posted some pictures and I am sure others have also. Or even visit my website ( sorry u have to cut and paste, cant work out how to add a hyperlink to a signature!!)

dai sensei
15th April 2005, 10:45 PM
Spectacular is right. If you like variations in colour, texture and grain patterns, burls are the way to go.

ps Nice work Rowan.

Stuart
15th April 2005, 11:41 PM
Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary defines it as "a hard woody often flattened hemispherical outgrowth on a tree"

They form around the trunk of a tree, and although I cannot confirm how much research has been done on their cause, it is likely due to injury, and this most likely caused by a fungal attack at some stage in the tree's development.

Of course, if anyone knows more precicely how it occurs, I would also be interested in hearing. I have wondered if it is a kind of "cancerous" growth, but have nothing to base this on.

Pat
16th April 2005, 08:26 AM
Burls are a lot of fun to carve, either by hand with chisels or with an arbortech attachment to an angle grinder. Granted burls are not for beginner turners, but you don't have to ignor them totally.

One good place to source them from is http://www.bradsburls.com.au

Pat
(I must sort out a witty signature, one day! :D )

Pat
16th April 2005, 08:45 AM
Rowan, very nice site. I especially like the tree branch. looks like something for display piece for a high class professional's office. Your pricing of the burls are on the light side, I have seen some in shops retailing in the hundreds. I know that you are just mucking around, but I would not undersell you talents. I give mine away as presents. :)

Rowan
16th April 2005, 11:21 AM
Pat thanks for the comments. Possibly I am pricing light but it comes down to supply and demand. I had some pieces in a gallery for about a year and no interest. Remove the "commission" and I sell one or two each market I attend. Probably in Melbourne I could get more but.....................

DanP
16th April 2005, 12:12 PM
Lots of people speak of Brads Burls but on their site it says 'min order $1000' Now do you all spend a fortune with him or is it bullshyte?

Pat
16th April 2005, 02:56 PM
DanP, thats what is says on the website, if I was you, I would give them a ring and have a chat and see what they say. I am lucky, I work in the area, so I can duck over when ever and spend half an hour looking and maybe spend $20 -$30 for 3-5 raw pieces.

Harry72
18th April 2005, 10:00 PM
Hey Rowan, http://burlsburlsburls.freespaces.com/

Tis quite easy to link to a web site, you must use brackets
like this "[" and then put "URL" and then the opposite bracket "]" insert the web address, then another bracket "[" then a slash "/URL" and the last bracket "]" to finish it.

I'll use different brackets other wise you wont see it... change them to [ and ]
{URL}http://burlsburlsburls.freespaces.com/{/URL}

Rowan
19th April 2005, 10:44 AM
Thanks Harry, signature updated and working well!!

Tasman
20th April 2005, 09:38 AM
WHAT IS A BURL?....Burl wood is from an irregular growth on the side or at the base of a tree. These growths are caused by a virus within the tree or an insect that lays eggs into the sapwood causing an irritation to the tree. Once started, the growth continues as if it were a limb.

Tasman

JackoH
20th April 2005, 10:32 AM
Burl Ives? ;)