PDA

View Full Version : Thought all my Xmas's had come at once

Bruce White
20th January 2013, 02:52 PM
We had a heap of rain and a bit of a blow out here last week with some farms getting up to 100mm over 2 days. ( Last years total was about 370mm). I went for a drive when the roads were opened again on the off chance there might be some trees down. Found some Salmon Gums and Gimlet (ho hum) and then the mother lode - a huge Black Morrel, 40 plus feet tall and about 3 ft in diameter. Went out with the chainsaw and trailer when the sparrow chirped this morning, cut some of the higher branches to put under the main trunk to support it so it would not grab the chainsaw when I cut through and started cutting. I found out that I know a few more crude words than I thought when the main trunk turned out to be hollow with only 2 to 3 inches of the outside remaining. DAMN WHITE ANTS! Photos are of what I salvaged from the upper limbs. Probably go back and get some of the root ball (taller than me) in the next week and some of the Salmon and Gimlet.250512

dr4g0nfly
20th January 2013, 07:37 PM
I've no idea what Salmon Gum, Gimlet or Black Morrel are but that's a nice looking load of free timber. You'll be busy converting that load for a while.

Well, that's not quite true I do know what a Black Morrel (http://www.fungusfun.com/mushroom-hunting/84-black-morel-morchella-elata.html) is but you can't turn our European version.

Bruce White
20th January 2013, 08:08 PM
All hardwoods that grow in the central wheatbelt area of Western Australia. Black Morrel is very limited in its distribution and is a sensational timber to turn. I thought I would get enough out of the tree to keep me busy for years.250593250594

This is Black Morrel, the darker picture is more true to colour.

artme
20th January 2013, 08:37 PM
Lucky (?) you Bruce.

You are aware that limb or branch timber can present dificulties not
associated with trunk timber. Bit of a lucky dip in some ways but if
it turns out like your photo pieces then no problem!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Bruce White
20th January 2013, 08:56 PM
I work on the principle that if it is no good for turning, it is next years firewood! We are about 300 km inland and most of the summer out here is in the high 30's to mid 40's celcius with really low humidity and in winter we go the other way with regular frosts. The fire burns 24 hours a day. Give me summer any time!

Willy Nelson
21st January 2013, 01:13 AM
I have never turned the tree, but the burls produced by Morrel, Red Morrel in particular are STUNNING. Lucky you. Shame about the termites.
I have just turned a salmon gum burl and am oiling it at them moment, but will post piccys soon. These are HARD timbers, but in my opinion are stunning
Willy
Jarrahland (but wished he lived in the wheatbelt like Bruce and had access to these burls)

Bruce White
21st January 2013, 10:58 AM
You are right Willy, hard timbers but lovely results. The black morrel is only found in small patches around the central wheatbelt. I have made it my business to locate most patches in this area but have seen very few burls and those that I have seen are high up on the tree (20+ feet) and seem to encompass the whole trunk. Very rare to see a tree down and when you do most are hollow due to white ants. The tree that is the subject of this thread is the biggest I have seen and the most hollow. I was very lucky to find a smaller one in perfect condition not long ago.You are not allowed (naturally) to knock down living trees. Even farmers are supposed to get permission to fell trees on their own properties.

On another note, what is your process and timeframe for dealing with fresh burls?