PDA

View Full Version : 15yr Find

Billylad
20th January 2013, 08:37 PM
Hi All, Just cleaned garage out and found an old half blind dove tail jig [Chinese one] but have got it working on 19mm pine, came out ok, wondering, can you use other size timbers like 12mm as there is only one dove tail bit which seems to suit 19mm timber only. Do any people use these jigs nowadays to make drawers or whatever, wondering if you can use it on box making on 1/2in timber. Isn't it marvelous what you find when you have a clean out after 15ys.
Thanking you for your help Billylad

delbs
25th January 2013, 11:50 PM
I have pretty much the same thing which was given to me the other day, it only had one dovetail bit with it. Its good for me right now as im only just getting into dovetail/box making so ill keep practising on it. Doesnt seem to be of great quality but will do the trick for a while. Good find!

Billylad
26th January 2013, 10:03 PM
it did take a lot of mucking around allright, that was using 19mm timber,now got to learn how to use thinner timber with smaller dovetail bit

delbs
26th January 2013, 10:13 PM
hmm yeah i have been trying again today but no joy.. im going to get a book on dovetails and figure this out :;

Geoff Sims
28th January 2013, 03:48 AM
I've got some printed instructions for one of these....somewhere! I'll have a look for them tomorrow and post a copy if I can find them.

delbs
28th January 2013, 08:57 AM
I've got some printed instructions for one of these....somewhere! I'll have a look for them tomorrow and post a copy if I can find them.

Wow thats really nice fo you Geoff, Id be happy to re-imburse the postage costs for you. That would be fantastic if i could take a look at those. thanks!

Billylad
28th January 2013, 09:24 PM
i copy exactly what delbs said,would be fantastic thank:Us

Geoff Sims
29th January 2013, 01:20 AM
Hi Delbs and Billylad

Had a bit of a look for the instructions but sorry to say I haven't turned them up yet. A couple of places I haven't looked so I'll continue the search tomorrow. They're here somewhere and I WILL find them for you!

Cheers

Geoff Sims
29th January 2013, 02:10 AM
FOUND IT!!!

This may not be your exact model, but it works the same. I have used a dovetail router bit with bearing as well as a plain bit with guide bush. They both work equally well.

Cheers
Geoff

delbs
29th January 2013, 09:47 AM
Geoff you are a legend, thank you so much for this i dont understand something like this didnt come with mine as it was brand new. Mine just had a single page document stating what the jig is and how to mount it to the table :) it consisted of a diagram showing 2 screws being put in to hold it down to whatever bench you mount it to.

this will help me a great deal. Thank you again!

Geoff Sims
29th January 2013, 09:36 PM
You're very welcome

jw2170
4th February 2013, 09:58 AM
FOUND IT!!!

This may not be your exact model, but it works the same. I have used a dovetail router bit with bearing as well as a plain bit with guide bush. They both work equally well.

Cheers
Geoff

Thanks Geoff.

delbs
5th February 2013, 11:45 AM
thanks to you Geoff i made some minor adjustments after reading the manual. Made some test cuts on MDF and got a snug fit :)

Billylad
9th February 2013, 06:46 PM
Hi Geoff. Thank you very very much for posting the instructions, it certainly has solved all my problems and answered all my questions that I had, hope one day I can return the favour, thanks again :)
Billylad