PDA

View Full Version : Help Wanted

QbnDusty
15th April 2005, 08:23 PM
Hi Everyone.
A Newby here making his first post.
After discovering these forums I have read a lot and learned a lot. The contributers are some of the most experienced woodies in the universe. (I have allready made the Sturdee Cyclone and it works just great.)
Have done a lot of turning, bowls boxes etc but am now looking to do something more difficult, ie Segmented bowl turning. To this end I am setting up the Triton with Jigs for the accurate cuts required but the problem is the Lathe where I need a face plate with a No 1 Morse taper to insert into the Tail Stock so a glued on disk of sandpaper can prepare the last glued on ring for the next. (If you see what I mean)
Any suggestions for such a faceplate or source would be appreciated.

Sturdee
15th April 2005, 08:54 PM
Welcome to the BB. Hope you enjoy your stay.

Can't help you with your question as I'm not a turner but no doubt others can.

Thanks for the comments on the cyclone.

Peter.

Grizz
15th April 2005, 09:13 PM
Hi Geoff,
Two options you might like to consider: (1) Using a piece of wood with sand paper attached to it. Firstly, turn the face of the existing ring as flat as you can, then hold the wood with paper attached against the face. This should give you a flat surface for the next ring; (2) Use a piece of MDF or plywood of a reasonable thidkness, attach a 3/8" countersunk bolt through the board, mount in jacobs chuck in headstock and turn to a diameter that would suit your largest piece. This could then be used in the tailstock of the lathe to achieve the same thing as a faceplate (and a lot cheaper than buying one).

Hope this helps, let me know if it does.

Grizz.

QbnDusty
15th April 2005, 09:17 PM
Welcome to the BB. Hope you enjoy your stay.

Can't help you with your question as I'm not a turner but no doubt others can.

Thanks for the comments on the cyclone.

Peter.
Thank you Peter (Better than Sturdee) for the cyclone plans, it really does work and has solved (and /or alleviated) a dust problem I have had for a long time. (After Blackwood dust nearly killed me)
Keep on Jigging.

Sprog
15th April 2005, 11:12 PM
I need a face plate with a No 1 Morse taper to insert into the Tail Stock so a glued on disk of sandpaper can prepare the last glued on ring for the next. (If you see what I mean)
Any suggestions for such a faceplate or source would be appreciated.

Have a look at this site for a faceplate sander, I am sure you could made up something similar without too much trouble.

http://www.woodturningplus.com/segmented_thickness_sander.htm