PDA

View Full Version : Visual Impairment

d_jon3s
21st January 2013, 10:19 PM
Just putting this out there for anybody who runs their own furnishing, cabinet making, carpentry (etc) business.

How would somebody who has a fairly severe visual impairment go about getting employment in the industry?
I am legally blind in my left eye (not completely blind) and very close to it in my right. I don't wear glasses as its a genetic disease. But iI have always enjoyed woodworking in general. I even finished my pre-app in furnishing at school, but much to my teachers disappointment never followed it as a career. Well anyways i'm looking into the idea of getting work in the area, and would just like to hear some opinions on the matter.

I also can not drive

There are some of the things I made virtually unassisted.

mach70
25th January 2013, 12:10 AM
Nice work d_jon3s.

Not that I am in the "industry" (I work in mining), the best advice I could give you is to have an album of what you have done to show prospective employers.
Better still if you can take something with you to show them your abilities.

Personally I wouldn't mention the fact you have a visual impairment until after they have seen your work.
Its not about trying to hide it or being dishonest, its just that you may find by putting in a resume or telling a future boss upfront that you have an impairment, you may not get any further than that. Let them see your work first. Your craftsmanship should be the focus as much as possible.

It may take time, but there will be someone out there who is willing to give you a go.

Good luck with the hunt.

Cheers

Shawn