PDA

View Full Version : wobble wobble.....

randy
20th March 2002, 04:09 AM
I was thinking of buying one of those wobble dadoe blades. How do they stand against the stackable dadoe blades? Are they any good on melamine? Ok girls, serious question here, good or bad?
rgards,
bruce / randy

Roly
20th March 2002, 06:15 PM
Bruce,

I have one in my old EMCO STAR combination and I have found it works absolutely fine except that it takes a little more time to set up than with spacers.

Hope it helps

Ro;y

purchie
2nd January 2004, 05:57 AM
Can you please advise me where I can obtain a copy of the documentation for the aluminuim type Emco Star? I have a thorouhly disassembled machine. It had all the bells and whistles but four bolts broke when it was manhandled to use the circular saw and it was lying around for many years.

It also has a plane/thicknesser and the lathe attachments.

Copies of any documentation will be welcome and of course paid for.

derekcohen
2nd January 2004, 02:11 PM
Bruce

DON'T, repeat DON'T purchase a wobble dado blade!!! They are notoriously inaccurate and do not leave a flat bottom.

Get the regular type with chippers and spacers.

Regards from Perth

Derek

kenmil
2nd January 2004, 04:44 PM
I agree with Derek. The stacked dado is far superior.

Dewy
3rd February 2004, 07:00 AM
How woodworkers in Europe envy you guys.
All saws here must be fitted with electric braking & saw arbors are too short now to accept stacked dado head cutters. Commercial machines had to be retro-fitted with electric braking from 1st January so they cant use SDHCs. The braking would unscrew the blades sending them flying like ninja stars. Woops no head, arm or even worse to cut something off below the waist.:mad:
STDHs are still availible for home use but only on saws made before 1999 when arbors were shortened & brakes became standard.

Grunt
3rd February 2004, 08:24 AM
I like the idea of brakes. You can very quickly stop the blade after it has cut your hand off.

Dewy
3rd February 2004, 09:51 AM
Electric brakes must stop the saw in 3 seconds or less. That stops the blade after cutting into your arm but before getting to your body. :(
A better system is being marketed in USA where the saw blade senses the electrical connection through your skin & stops the blade before cutting into the flesh. http://www.sawstop.com/video.htm
Expensive for the 1st saws but hopefully may be an add on in the future.

craigb
3rd February 2004, 09:57 AM
So exactly does the EU have against stacked dado heads and long arbors?
Inquiring minds would like to know ;)

Dewy
3rd February 2004, 10:18 AM
The eurocrats in Brussels run our lives for us.
In many cases Euro law overrides a countries laws.
They decided that all saws must have electric braking for safety. In the case of home use only new saws are affected but commercial workshops have to get rid of their old trusty saws & buy new ones. The eurocrats are trying to make us use shorter fences on table saws instead of decent full length fences.
Dado head cutters can still be used on radial arm saws because of the guards in place.
These are the same nutcases who forced growers to only market straight cucumbers & bananas.:confused:

soundman
3rd February 2004, 11:21 PM
RANDY????

are you the randy of "what ever happened to randy"

the missing randy

thaught to be lost on route to the sunshine coast????

not seen posting on this BB for some time.

oges
4th February 2004, 07:02 AM
bl@#&dy EU, they stopped GE from buying out our company a year or so ago, said they'd have too much domination blah blah

now how are we meant to get our free toasters each year at the christmas close down?? :D

Kevin2003
4th February 2004, 10:53 PM
Dewy,

Good to see someone in here from the old country and from the same part of it too!! I'm originally from Stroud.

Bloody EU !! Funny thing is I used to joke with friends many years ago " the day Briton becomes part of the United States of Europe, I'm moving to Australia"....funny how things turn out!

It's a shame that those old forever lasting British machines weigh so much, we could do with some inexpensive used machinery over here !

Cheers,
Kev

Dewy
5th February 2004, 04:25 AM
Nice to see someone from my neck of the woods Kevin. I used to spend many a romantic encounter in the Stroud area. I'm at the bottom of horsepools hill, Tufley. I once went out with Princess Annes neighbour in Minchinhampton but didnt like the security knowing what time I arrived & what time I left in the morning, :D
I see many in Oz use the Triton. Its availible here but far too expensive for my liking. My dream is a Kity 419 but since Kity went into liquidation the accessories for them have dried up. Still hoping that Stayer Spa can get an agreement to continue supplying them in UK & Italy. I'll have to save up for a Sheppach or Electra Beckum if I cant get the sliding carriage or extension table for the Kity.
I emigrated to South Africa in 1973 then came back 3 years later to find the countryside changed. All the elm trees had died off from dutch elm disease. Elm still grows from the old roots but never matures. It gets the disease again when 15 years old. That was a lovely hard wood. I remember we had elm benches in the cloakroom of my junior school.