PDA

View Full Version : Brown Oak with Natural Edge

dr4g0nfly
23rd January 2013, 06:26 AM
It's been a while since I posted any of my work, so...

This is a Natural Edged Platter made from Brown Oak. It’s about 200mm (8") long, 125mm (5") wide and 50mm (2") deep, the wall thickness is around 3mm (1/8”). Which was ‘fun’ as a lot of the edge turning was air.

For those that don’t know, Brown Oak is European Oak that has been (normally deliberately) infected with the Beefsteak Fungus (Fistulina hepatica (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fistulina_hepatica) )

The patterning in the cambium layer is fantastic. That is not fluff on the rim, as well as the bark, I also managed to keep on some of the moss!

Surprisingly the Bark is very firmly attached and I did not have to use CA to hold it in place. (I did knock a bit and reglue it, but that was carelessness after it came off the lathe). However I’ll watch it as it dries just to be sure it holds.

It's only sanded to 180, so not super smooth and shiny, I thought that would look wrong.

As for a finish, I did not want anything that would leave a shine or gloss. My first though was Lemon Oil for a natural but matt finish but it takes so long of the smell to go! But as it was still green it had to be an Oil, so I used the DO and wiped on a very thin coat left it for a couple of days.

Remounted it against a block of insulating foam and re-turned and flattened the foot followed by a second light wipe with DO.

Comments & Critiques as always please

Dalboy
23rd January 2013, 06:38 AM
Great bowl Dragonfly.

Did you turn this green

dr4g0nfly
23rd January 2013, 06:47 AM
Sorry Digger, I buried that info quite deep didn't I, yes it was a green log that's been cut about 4 months.

torchwood
23rd January 2013, 01:33 PM
Love the natural stuff dr4gonfly. If I may ask, being so thin and green, what's going to stop the bowl from cracking, have you got a plan?

hughie
23rd January 2013, 05:49 PM
Nice one. :2tsup: The cambium layer is as you say fantastic. Its a keeper I reckon. :2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
23rd January 2013, 07:57 PM
:iagree:

powderpost
23rd January 2013, 10:35 PM
Nice job. Lot of hand sanding with this type of bowl. :2tsup:
Jim

dr4g0nfly
24th January 2013, 06:29 AM
Powderpost,

I do hand sand a little but not too much.

I've made several rotary sanding stubs that my chuck jaws can hold. Glued a bit of 2" Velcro onto it and I can fit whatever grade of abrasive I want.

Much the same as holding a inertia sanding disk in a Jacobs chuck in the Morse taper, but...

Being made of wood;

- I can make them any length I want, I've them long enough to reach the bottom of most vases I make.

- If I touch the turning against it while it's rotating it's less likely to damage the turning.

- I don't have to dismount my chuck to use it.

Torchwood,

Being so thin it is (and did) more likely warp slightly, that is why I had to return the foot. Also being oak it has a lot of flexibility in it, some timbers you can do this to, some you can't. Harder timbers don't like this treatment very much, this picture is of the edge of a Holly natural edge form I have drying, thankfully they are very thin but I'll have to hope CA & sanding dust hide these cracks.

torchwood
24th January 2013, 09:59 AM
-
Torchwood,

I'll have to hope CA & sanding dust hide these cracks.

Ahh like all of us eventually, it all comes down to dust:D

turnerted
24th January 2013, 04:50 PM
Great job dr4gonfly
It looks pretty fragile.
Ted

artme
26th January 2013, 07:45 PM
That is a beautiful piece. The change in grain pattern is stunning!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

chuck1
27th January 2013, 12:42 PM
impressive bowl! the challenge of thin walled bowls is always good!