PDA

View Full Version : transformers

randy
12th March 2002, 07:00 AM
Can anyone help? I am moving to Brisbane area in september and i will be bringing my small power tools with me.Because of the voltage difference in power between canada and australia can i purchase a power transformer in Brisbane to reduce the 240 voltage down to the needed120 voltage required for my tools. Will I be able to pick up such a transformer in Brisbane somewhere?

ubeaut
12th March 2002, 08:44 AM
G'day Randy - Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I think you might have to throw your tools away or find new homes for them (and all your other electrical appliances) over there. http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/frown.gif

I Hope someone can prove me wrong. I have had access to lots of 110V motors and other stuff over the years and am yet to find a feasable way of supplying power to them.

Cheers Neil http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

Tristan Croll
12th March 2002, 10:26 AM
TRANSFORMER, 240-110 20 amp with built-in circuit breaker, VGC -$150 Thornlands (0427) 012 226
http://www.trading-post.com.au

Not mine, just found it with a quick search of the trading post. Should be able to handle most small tools easily (and probably all at once!).

[This message has been edited by Tristan Croll (edited 12 March 2002).]

Iain
12th March 2002, 06:03 PM
The problem lies not in the voltage but the frequency and 60hz tools do not take kindly to 50hz resulting in overheating and speed problems.
Neil is correct and unless the tools have a DC motor you will encounter problems too numerous to address effectively.

Tristan Croll
13th March 2002, 09:58 AM
Interesting thread on this topic at http://lists.slug.org.au/archives/slug-chat/2001/August/index.html#00218 (thread title is [chat] Re: [SLUG] sehr off topic - voltage conversion). General gist is that most tools with AC motors will run 20% slower, but otherwise normally. Tools with DC motors should have no trouble. The exception is where internal transformers are used - apparently some manufacturers skimp on the metal core, so that 50Hz power leads to overheating. With the lower frequency, torque might drop a bit as well.

Consensus on other web pages seems to be that most 60Hz general household appliances work fine off 50Hz, with the notable exception of some mains-driven clocks, which use the mains frequency for timing.

BrianR
13th March 2002, 10:14 PM
Generally you can recognize the motors classed as DC as they will have brushes. Synchronous motors and capacitor start motors will not respond well to a frequency change.

Less iron is used in 60Hz equipment than 50Hz as this is the most efficient way to design it

JackoH
14th March 2002, 03:05 PM
Welcome Randy.
Seems to me from all of the above comments that you would do better to sell your tools before you leave Canada. You would probably have to change all the plugs as well. At least you would get something for them. But if they don't work properly here they would be worthless.
Think of all the fun you will have shopping for new, or even used stuff! The Trading Post, a weekly news paper published in each State and on the net is a good source for used power tools.
Regards John H. http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/biggrin.gif

ubeaut
14th March 2002, 03:18 PM
They are worthless in Australia.

I have a friend who had hundresd of brand new motors and power tools that came from the naval dockyards. Could not give them away. Thousands of dollars worth went to the tip. Made me cry. If there was a feasable way I guarantee I would have had the lot.

Don't waste yopur time sell them when you can, cut your losses and get new stuff here.

Cheers Neil http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

Eastie
14th March 2002, 03:48 PM
Not disputing the comments directly above - however it can be done (AC) - but it costs quite a bit because you need a stepdown transformer and usually either a speed controller or inverter. Depending on the motor size, it can be either moderately expensive or VERY expensive.
As previously indicated - these things do not convert cycles - so there may also be a loss of speed/torque/quality.

Worth it ? You be the judge.

[This message has been edited by Eastie (edited 14 March 2002).]

Iain
18th March 2002, 09:12 AM
One thing that is feasable, even though you have not mentioned it, is the conversion of LARGE power tools by putting in a new motor when you arrive. Freight is not too bad if you send it surface and enough of it and can wait about three months for it to arrive.
Table saws, bandsaws etc will cost about $150.00-$200.00 to convert which is cheaper than a new model and we are talking AU$.
If I had a selection of Jet, Delta or equivalant products I would certainly consider this option.
Don't worry about the lathe though as the Big Blue lathe is cheaper than bringing one in.
(I want commission for that line Stoppers)

Pete
21st March 2002, 03:41 PM
Randy,
I returned to Australia a couple of years ago after spending a few years in the US. I brought a few portable power tools with me, along with a table saw and a 6" jointer.

I have a dewalt biscuit jointer that works very well over here, I simply use a Radio shack step down transformer to adjust the voltage to 110V. The machine is rated at 110V 50 -60 Hz. Admittedly it is only used for short runs, however it shows no signs of problems. I have had similar success with my table saw and jointer. In both cases the motors on the beasties were the dual voltage varieties (110V and 220V). Both were simply rewired to the 220V setting, new plugs installed and they have worked without a problem since then.
The only unit I had a problem with was the charger for my Dewalt drill, I plugged it into the step down transformer and when I turned it on I fritzed the charger. A quick trip to the local Dewalt dealer for a new charger and I was back in business.
I have a few friends who have had no problems with 110V tools in Australia. One was an electrical engineer who advised me that in theory the change in frequency causes problems but in practice you do not notice it.
Hope this helps,
Peter

Dennis Hill
26th March 2002, 06:22 AM
Randy,
Yes, you can get a transformer to drop 240v to 110v, but you will have to watch for the current drawn by your power tools. If I am not mistaken the largest transformer in the Dick Smith electronics and Jaycar catalogues is about 500watts (or more correctly VA or Volt-Amps) and I reckon that this will be a litle on the light side for most power tools. I have a 240v to 110v transformer rated at about 1000va and it is heavy and I do mean heavy (slipped disc and hernia heavy) so your tools would have to be confined to the area where the transformer was and some special wiring run. It is starting to get complicated.I think you would be better off buying 240 volt tools over there ( or is it only the US that has 110v and 220v systems?). It is a tough call and I will leave that one up to you.
good luck,
Dennis Hill