PDA

View Full Version : Drill Press Maintenence

NewLou
16th April 2005, 12:36 PM
Gidday Everyone :)

Well is time to do a bit a cleaning sharpening and maintenence. First thing on the list is to Maintain me trusty old Drill Press. I'm planning on checking how the arbor is seated; wipping off dust etc n checking the belts.

Not sure what to do as far as lubrication goes??? was planning on giving all the moving parts a once over with some WD40(Wipping off excess).............

Any advise ideas really appreciated on regards to Drill Press Maintainence???

REgards Lou :confused:

rodm
17th April 2005, 02:07 AM
Lou
I would leave the arbor alone unless you are getting bearing noise or it is rough when rotated - check this with the belts removed. Definately keep the WD40 away from the arbor as you will dilute the grease in the bearings. I only use WD 40 for removing rusted bolts as it is not a rust preventative and an oily rag will do a better job of protecting and lubricating steel.
Check your belts for cracks but don't run your belts with too much tension. I find it a lot safer for the belts to slip a bit under load as it acts like a clutch and you don't overload the drill. You will be surprised at the number of injuries caused by a drill press and a loose belt could mean the difference between a cut finger and a missing finger.
Get some 1200 wet and dry and clean the rust off the column using kerosene. Paper towel will be needed to clean up the slurry. Lubricate all pivot points with oil.
Check electric cord for cracks, splits and cruching and make sure the insulation has not shrunk away from the plug.

NewLou
17th April 2005, 09:43 AM
Thx Rodm,

Excellent tips M8 lucky I haven't started yet :o I would have douced everything in WD40....................Have a greeny

REgards Lou :)

Ross
17th April 2005, 11:38 AM
Lou

May years ago all I used on my drill press was WD40. Now after having to replace it because of rust, I tried Lanotec and after 3 years it still looks new. In my workshop anything made of steel gets wiped down with Lanotec after every use.

As Rod said WD40 is a good product but, rust prevention isn't one of them.

Ross

TrevorOwen
19th April 2005, 06:15 PM
Lou

I have been following threads dealing with rusting tools for a while and searching out product and while I haven't used it yet, I believe that Lanotec General Purpose is the product to go for. I have only this minute finished a conversation with a bloke from Consolidated Bearing Company who has said that the product contains lanolin (from sheep's wool) and a solvent and is available in different forms eg pressure pack, spray bottle etc. After application the solvent evaporates leaving a very thin layer of lanolin which provides excellent and long lasting protection.

Regards from Adelaide
Trevor

NewLou
20th April 2005, 12:26 AM
Sounds like the go fellas ..............where do we get our hands on Lanotec???? I want some :)

REgards Lou

RufflyRustic
20th April 2005, 11:50 AM
Lanotec - http://www.lanotec.com.au/I also got the Lanotec Timber sealer from Bunnies.

cheers
RufflyRustic

Dan
20th April 2005, 01:59 PM
........where do we get our hands on Lanotec????
REgards Lou
Supercheap Auto (they don't cop a mention on the website suppliers list).

TrevorOwen
20th April 2005, 11:01 PM
Sounds like the go fellas ..............where do we get our hands on Lanotec???? I want some :)

REgards Lou
Lou

I purchased Lanotec General Purpose today from Consolodated Bearing Company after finding that it wasn't available at Bunnings. I emailed Graham Deviney at Lanotec who advised me of the suppliers in Adelaide. An aerosol can cost $10.96 and a 750ml spray bottle cost $16.83. Not cheap, but it's the same old story, you only get what you pay for. I bought one of each because I think if you buy good tools, then they are worth protecting from the ravages of rust.

Regards from Adelaide
Trevor

NewLou
21st April 2005, 10:52 AM
Thx for guiding me in the right direction guys........really apprezciate the help ;)

Regards Lou:D:D:D:D:D