PDA

View Full Version : Payment for My Sins

brendan stemp
24th January 2013, 12:55 PM
As a result of my oversights on the Skipping Handles video I have added the following to my folio of videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVQWy2XyNOc

Enjoy

turnerted
24th January 2013, 04:44 PM
Some good points Brendan.
I remember I had an exciting moment a few years ago when I discovered that some calipers I was using for sizing got thicker as I got further into the groove .
Now modified on the grinder.
Ted

hughie
24th January 2013, 04:44 PM
Brendan, Dunno :? if your technique is all that dangerous when its done by a experience turner, of which I have no doubt you are.

What we have to realize is the that when it comes to safety, nothing can be made intrinsically safe. The lathe would one the most difficult to use without adequate training and experience in regard to safe operation.

Often what may look dangerous to me because of my level of training and experience is not so for the more highly trained and or experienced turner.

Hierarchy of control diagram (http://www.safework.sa.gov.au/contentPages/EducationAndTraining/TrainingKits/WHSTrainingResourceKit/whsKit/top3_7.htm)

...and so we have the 'Hierarchy of Control' to manage these risks and many of the operations on the lathe fall into the Administrative Controls area

.....bit of a can of worms :U

dr4g0nfly
25th January 2013, 04:55 AM
Brendan,Good video that reinforces safety and common sense.Unfortunately we all know how uncommon that can be!

mach70
28th January 2013, 04:00 PM
Brendan,Good video that reinforces safety and common sense.Unfortunately we all know how uncommon that can be!

Common sense these days is like finding Rocking Horse crap covered in Hens teeth.

Safety whilst important has gone way over the top these days.

I work in mining (now) & have sold safety gear for close to 30 yrs and some of the so called "safety" gear or procedures/safe work instructions/job safety analysis/whatever they hell they want to call it actually makes the job harder and more dangerous. Problem is a lot of this stuff is coming from people who havent worked in the industry or have zero life experience.

Human error is usually the root cause for most accidents/incidents.

hughie
28th January 2013, 04:09 PM
Common sense these days is like finding Rocking Horse crap covered in Hens teeth.

I work in mining (now) & have sold safety gear for close to 30 yrs and some of the so called "safety" gear or procedures/safe work instructions/job safety analysis/whatever they hell they want to call it actually makes the job harder and more dangerous. Problem is a lot of this stuff is coming from people who havent worked in the industry or have zero life experience.

[/QUOTE]

couldnt agree more :2tsup:

Pat
28th January 2013, 05:11 PM
. Problem is a lot of this stuff is coming from people who havent worked in the industry or have zero life experience.

Maybe it should be legislated that those wanting to attend further education, should have at least 5 experience years in the industry at ground level, prior to being accepted into courses at uni.

RETIRED
28th January 2013, 05:44 PM
Maybe it should be legislated that those wanting to attend further education, should have at least 5 experience years in the industry at ground level, prior to being accepted into courses at uni.No no no. They would actually find that most lecturers and those that teach don't have a clue.

It would be better that those that teach have to do on site experience for at least half of their holidays every year.

Sturdee
28th January 2013, 06:07 PM

Like saying that wood turners need to wear safety glasses as well as a full face shield when turning or remove power cord of the lathe from the power point before putting the wood on the lathe.

Peter.

shedbound
28th January 2013, 06:14 PM
I agree human error and lack of common sense is the majority of workplace accidents, this cannot be overcome no matter whatever the safety guidelines are, or regulation is put in place.(unless its been automated). Where will the line be drawn and let people be responsible for their actions. It is the over the top oh&s regulations (for the most part) that made my decision to never return to my trade as a professional carpenter. All this is adding to the astronomical cost of building a new home.
I have recently found out that (in VIC) roof battens for a tin roof usually at around 900ctrs now require an intermediate batten to act as fall protection. and I may be wrong but the 3mtr eaveline limit has been reduced to 2 mtrs this requires ALL houses to have handrail/ fall protection for roofers.:~

tea lady
28th January 2013, 06:16 PM
No no no. They would actually find that most lecturers and those that teach don't have a clue.

It would be better that those that teach have to do on site experience for at least half of their holidays every year.Might slow you down a bit. :hmm: Better make them pay for the privilege as well. :D

Mobyturns
28th January 2013, 06:38 PM
Like saying that wood turners need to wear safety glasses as well as a full face shield when turning or remove power cord of the lathe from the power point before putting the wood on the lathe.

Peter.

It may sound stupid to those who have developed "common sense" :roll: but there are plenty of individuals who have eye damage from wearing only face shield; or facial injuries from only safety glasses; or have been injured from an accidental start up; or entangled in a running lathe; or hit by flying debris from an "exploding" bowl or hollow form, or ...... a few, like five (worldwide) in the past few years are actually now DEAD! :oo:

Human error and complacency are the most likely root cause for most accidents/incidents - statistics prove that - and so are a very few of the control systems that were developed to reduce hazards & control risk.

Sure some safety control measures are over the top. The idea is to understand the hazards & risks & then make an assessment of the level of risk you are prepared to accept. In industry they mandate some safety actions so that at least minimum standards are being followed, maybe!

Safety glasses & face shields actually perform complementary and slightly different tasks - and again it is the individuals choice, but it may be your friends & family who pay a high price too in caring for you.

:2tsup: Brendan keep up the great work on the Youtube clips. :2tsup: