PDA

View Full Version : Pen Turning blocks - free

Phily
25th January 2013, 04:01 PM
I recently turned some handles from a block of timber that had been sitting around for about 20 years. I have no idea what it is (any ideas from the photo's ?) but it is very dense, turns beautifully and looks great. I had a few slices left over and couldn't bring myself to adding them to my firewood stock so have cut them into roughly pen blank size pieces. Happy to post them out to someone who would like to have a play. Happy turning. Phil

tdrumnut
25th January 2013, 04:08 PM
I'll give them a go, I need some more blanks to turn for pens fot the troops, thanks Phil
cheers Rumnut

Phily
25th January 2013, 04:16 PM
Excellent. Have you any idea what the timber may be?

Can you PM me with your address.

Cheers

tdrumnut
25th January 2013, 04:21 PM
At a guess Gidgee but wouldn't swear on it

Phily
25th January 2013, 04:26 PM
I'll keep my eye out for gidgee. Haven't seen it before but if that's what it is I loved working it.

wheelinround
25th January 2013, 04:29 PM
The timber looks similar to a piece of Blackwood I got off Stan Casinzki a few year ago at the wood show.

tdrumnut
25th January 2013, 04:34 PM
PM sent thanks Phil

eisbaer
25th January 2013, 04:57 PM
Looks like brigalow to me. Lovely stuff to work with.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2

Phily
25th January 2013, 05:11 PM
It has a drier feel than blackwood but a similar finish. One clue may be that large borers seem to love it (presumably only when green). The surface was amazingly carved out and there were several deep bore holes.

bassmansimon
25th January 2013, 08:13 PM
I agree it looks like gidgee. If there are any left I'd love a few, but first dibs should go to Rumnut especially considering it will be used for the pen for the troops initiative. Simon.

Sawdust Maker
25th January 2013, 08:14 PM
Any left?

I'd take for pens for the troops meself if there is some going

But if someone has a more urgent need I'm ok

Phily
25th January 2013, 08:49 PM
Sorry guys, all gone but I'll check my stocks to see if there is anything else that might be of interest. I'm planning to cut into some old African Walnut in a few weeks time - I'll post if there are any decent pieces left over. But first I need to find an old Vicmarc chuck & spindle (see my other post) so I can start turning again ! Cheers Phil

bassmansimon
25th January 2013, 09:14 PM
Thanks Phil. Champion :)
Simon

dai sensei
26th January 2013, 09:41 PM
Sapwood a bit thick for Gidgee, although the grain/colour looks right. Not Blackwood. Looks too dark for Brigalow, Blackbean maybe :?

Phily
27th January 2013, 03:16 PM
Its the depth (and hardness) of the sapwood that has thrown me. Also the wood is brown-black so I agree that it is unlikely to be Blackwood. I've just got back from the shed - whatever it is, I love turning it !!:U

Skew ChiDAMN!!
27th January 2013, 06:58 PM
Looks 'sactly like a goblet blank I'm turning right now... and we think it's Blackbean. (Not sure... it's been in my stack for a while and only had BBW marked on it. :B)

Skew's_Girl
27th January 2013, 07:04 PM
Let's see if I've learned anything,
(in best SkewChi impression) "It got any bark?"

A lot of the desert woods look and feel similar to what you describe; really dense, dark chocolate heart, pale sapwood.
Easiest way to tell is by the bark if you still have any.

Black bean, Gidgee, brigalow, boree, etc etc.
The only thing I can say for certain is it's not Conkerberry and it's probably not dead finish since it doesn't grow usually grow that large.

so "desert wood"
how'd I do?

Phily
27th January 2013, 08:39 PM
Not a scrap of bark and there was not a millimetre of the surface left unchewed by large borers (a few of whom got in pretty deep). I actually felt bad aboout cutting the piece up as the srface was so well sculpted.

dai sensei
27th January 2013, 08:45 PM
...it's probably not dead finish since it doesn't grow usually grow that large. ...how'd I do?

DF does grow large, I have a piece at home almost 600m dia :rolleyes:. But your are right in as much as it isn't DF :U

Willy Nelson
28th January 2013, 09:47 AM
Good Morning Ladies and Gentlemen

I think the timber may be Raspberry Jam or Snakewood. Based upon the colour, the depthof the cambrium layer and the description of the borers. What no one has mentioned yet, which could be the clincher, is the aroma. If it is Raspberry Jam or Snakewood (both smell dimilar to me), when turned or cut the smell is just like Raspberry JAm
Sincerely
Willy
Jarrahland

wheelinround
28th January 2013, 10:13 AM
http://www.woodworkforums.com/f132/some-blackwood-slabs-94594/#post943713

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f222/fiddleback-blackwood-turning-160389/#post1562511

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f132/unusual-blackwood-slabs-95821/#post949983

Phily
28th January 2013, 12:30 PM
Willy, you are a genius ! I've never heard of Rasberry wood, but one sniff of the shavings and you have me convinced. A lovely sweet smell; all I need now are some crumpets and a cup of tea !!!

I don't suppose you know where I could get some more ?

Cheers and thanks

Phil

spankingpigeon
28th January 2013, 03:12 PM
just had a googly and i think the raspberry jam is what we have here Forest Products Commission - developing the sustainable use of the States plantation and native forest resources in Western Australia (http://www.fpc.wa.gov.au/content_migration/plantations/species/arid/raspberry_jam.aspx) and Acacia acuminata - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acacia_acuminata)

Phily
28th January 2013, 04:03 PM
Thanks; the description is spot on, though it doesn't look as though it will be easy to come by on the East Coast :(

Willy Nelson
28th January 2013, 06:01 PM
Thanks; the description is spot on, though it doesn't look as though it will be easy to come by on the East Coast :(

Well Thanks, never thought of myself as a Genius.
As for obtaining some, Raspberry Jam is sort of readily available about 150 East of Perth, I have access to a property and grab some whenever I go there. The farmer is using it as firewood. It is fantastic to turn, and the timber when sanded to 2000 grit or more has a real sheen to it
Sincerely
Willy
Jarrahland

Phily
28th January 2013, 06:57 PM
OMG, Bl..dy farmers and their dam firewood. I have exactly the same scenario here in the Highlands west of Sydney. A local farmer invited me to sort through his pile of Blackwood firewod. He'd paid $2,500 to someone to cut up 2 magnificent trees (windblown) into firwood sized rounds; all he had left were twisted blocks that had proven hard to split. I sliced a few of them up with my chainsaw and turned him a bowl from a realy nicely grained piece. He absolutely loved it. He's given me access to another tree and promised not to cut it up until I've taken my selection. He also told me of another farmer who is burning Coachwood - I intend to track him down !

Very envious of your Rasberry Jam. I'd love the opportunity to turn some bowls from it, though I'll have to find a closer source than outback WA :)

Sawdust Maker
28th January 2013, 07:35 PM
OMG, Bl..dy farmers and their dam firewood. I have exactly the same scenario here in the Highlands west of Sydney. A local farmer invited me to sort through his pile of Blackwood firewod. He'd paid $2,500 to someone to cut up 2 magnificent trees (windblown) into firwood sized rounds; all he had left were twisted blocks that had proven hard to split. I sliced a few of them up with my chainsaw and turned him a bowl from a realy nicely grained piece. He absolutely loved it. He's given me access to another tree and promised not to cut it up until I've taken my selection. He also told me of another farmer who is burning Coachwood - I intend to track him down !

Very envious of your Rasberry Jam. I'd love the opportunity to turn some bowls from it, though I'll have to find a closer source than outback WA :)

Do you need a hand?

Phily
28th January 2013, 07:58 PM
I have enough Blackwood to see me through for quite a while. However, its not a bad idea to post a thread close to my next trip - I did one the last time by myself - not a good idea to be out alone playing with a large chainsaw

Willy Nelson
28th January 2013, 09:35 PM
Very envious of your Rasberry Jam. I'd love the opportunity to turn some bowls from it, though I'll have to find a closer source than outback WA :)[/QUOTE]

Very hard to get a chunk big enough for bowls, I have only turned pens, cheese knives and letter openers etc
Willy
Jarrahland

dai sensei
28th January 2013, 10:01 PM
Jam, didn't eve cross my mind as I had assumed it was locally sourced. Do your remember getting it from WA?

Phily
29th January 2013, 10:07 PM
It was a piece I inherited from my father's shed. I have no idea how he obtained it - maybe from one of his woodworking mates

tdrumnut
5th February 2013, 11:48 PM
Blanks have arrived safe & sound and will be put to good use.

thanks again Phil