PDA

View Full Version : Help: Vicmarc accessories

Phily
25th January 2013, 04:14 PM
After much research and deliberation I invested in a used Vicmarc 300. A great deal and very happy, especially with the near $3k of included accessories. The lathe arrived yesterday but the box of accessories, including chucks, face plates and spindles has been misplaced so all I have is an expensive piece of steel in my shed :(

It may be 2 weeks, 2 months or never before the box is located. Problem is, sure as eggs, if I go and invest in new parts I'll get a call the next day to say "found!!". In the mean time I can't use my new toy and its killing me.

So I'm hoping that there are some kind hearted folk out there that have some used/surplus accessories that they would be willing to part with at a reasonable price to cover me while I wait for the box to be found (or until I bite the bullet and invest in new equipment). Anybody ??? :)

Cheers
Phil

KBs PensNmore
25th January 2013, 11:55 PM
I would get onto the seller ASAP and let them know that you didn't get the box of accessories, in case they never turn up, you should be able to get your money back, or at least a refund. I have had a few items go missing and never turn up, when I had my business!!!!
Kryn

Paul39
26th January 2013, 06:45 AM
I would get onto the seller ASAP and let them know that you didn't get the box of accessories, in case they never turn up, you should be able to get your money back, or at least a refund. I have had a few items go missing and never turn up, when I had my business!!!!
Kryn

In addition to the seller, I would politely but insistently lean on the shipper from your end and have the seller do the same from his end.

I hope the box turns up.

Phily
26th January 2013, 09:02 AM
Thanks guys, the seller is a good guy and doing his best to work out where they have gone. No suspicious circumstances, just a big pain ! Cheers

hughie
26th January 2013, 09:06 AM
Get stuck into the shipper with the replacement value as a stick to get him off his a......e.

With Vicmarc gear you could easily have $1500-2000 replacement costs and he should have insurance.

Phily
26th January 2013, 01:05 PM
Not actually the shippers fault so I can't get upset with them. The seller is clearing out his late fathers 6 car garage full of a life time of hording. He didn't realise that the accessorries were missing until the last moment but is "100% sure they are around somwhere". Upshot is I decided to go ahead anyway with fingers crossed. He's a good guy so I'm positive that when found he will contact me. It just a matter of time. And I don't want to wait !! If no-one has any surplus stock for sale I'll buy some cheap gear to get me through - but it is contradictory to use low quality chucks on a high quality lathe and definitely not my first preference. Cheers

Paul39
27th January 2013, 12:20 PM
And I don't want to wait !! If no-one has any surplus stock for sale I'll buy some cheap gear to get me through - but it is contradictory to use low quality chucks on a high quality lathe and definitely not my first preference. Cheers

Good used chucks usually do not come up for sale unless the owner passes on, and then they are usually sold with lathe and tools..

If you have any clue as to what chuck was used on the lathe buy the same brand. If you do much turning, and do various size things, you will soon get tired of unscrewing 8 screws, removing jaws, and putting on different jaws and replacing 8 screws.

Two chucks with different sizes of jaws are very handy.

If you list what you have, and what you want to turn first - bowls, spindles, pens, etc., you will get advice as to the minimum needed from folks here.

I am as much of a tool slut as anyone here, but am a proponent of minimal tools, and alternative, cheap tools.

If you are not a turner, you may use your waiting time to do some reading. Turning Wood, by Richard Raffan, is one good book.

You will need a grinder. If one is not coming with the box of stuff a + - 1400 rpm grinder with 8 inch wheels will do for many years. Do a search here for discussions of sharpening.

Phily
27th January 2013, 03:09 PM
Thanks Paul, I love turning but for many years I have been making do with a 35 year old lathe and accesories. Having made the investment to upgrade to a quality machine I definitely don't want to run with low quality accessories ! I agree it is unlikely that anyone would want to part with good quality gear but as they say "if you don't ask......". If nothng turns up in the next week or so I'm looking to invest in the Vermec Economy chuck which looks like a fairly decent piece of kit - looks like a reasonably low cost way of getting back into my bowl turning. Your advice on value for money equiment appreciated :) Cheers Phil

rsser
27th January 2013, 08:45 PM
Not actually the shippers fault so I can't get upset with them. The seller is clearing out his late fathers 6 car garage full of a life time of hording. He didn't realise that the accessorries were missing until the last moment but is "100% sure they are around somwhere".

Sounds seriously fishy to me.

Give him/her a deadline for delivery and spell out the consequences of failing to meet it.

Presumably you have an invoice? Then you have lots of levers.

Phily
27th January 2013, 09:31 PM
Maybe you are right, though I hope not! Looking on the bright side and giving people the benefit as first option can be very rewarding and, perhaps surprisingly, I've rarely been let down so I'm happy enough to wait and see. Anyway worst case scenario is that I end up with a $7k Vicmarc lathe in unmarked condition, numerous faceplates, measuring tools and over a dozen Sorby and Taylor chisels for just over $3k. Not all bad :U

Phily
15th March 2013, 04:26 AM
Well it took a bit of time but it was well worth the wait. Turned out that dad had put the chucks in a tub of oily rags to keep them in good order (not a bad idea). I received a call on Sunday to advise that in addition to 2 Vicmarc chucks there were also several more chisels, centres and a deep hollowing gouge plus a number of measuring guages. As a bonus there was also a nice stock of turning blanks. As the seller has a mate in the transport business he arranged for the whole lot to be sent from Brisbane to Sydney for $80. A heck of a nice guy to deal with and I am priviledged to now own a machine that belonged to such decent folk. A great feeling :)

Paul39
15th March 2013, 04:46 AM
Phily,

I'm pleased that your situation ended happily.

Now we want to see photos.

ogato
15th March 2013, 01:29 PM
Excellent outcome.

Looking forward to pics of the Vicmarc, chucks and chisels in action; and to some finished work

OJ

Phily
15th March 2013, 04:33 PM
OK, here's a few snap shots of the lathe as purchased including the drawers and chisels (some of which are my originals) plus the chucks etc and timber. Also an example of a recent turning. Cheers all.257857257858257859

Phily
15th March 2013, 04:38 PM
Oops, missed one !!257863