PDA

View Full Version : mc1000 woodlathe

Farm boy
17th April 2005, 09:45 AM
please help i was on ebay today and i bought an mc1000 woodlathe brand new for $100 is this ok or will my wife kill me for waisting money?

Ross
17th April 2005, 11:05 AM
If it's a GMC ML1000 I've seen them on special as low as $59.95 and normal price as high as $139.95.

If you have made a typo and it should be an MC1100 or an MC900 you have scored well.

Ross

Farm boy
17th April 2005, 11:31 AM
quick update its a uni-hosen mc1000 4 speed 1/2 hp

Ross
17th April 2005, 11:57 AM
Is it 240 volt? Do you have any spec's for it?

Ross

Farm boy
17th April 2005, 12:06 PM
1000 mm max timber length,350mm turning diamater height of centre175mm max,240 volt

Ross
17th April 2005, 12:12 PM
Seems OK for $100, any idea which size morse taper it takes?

Ross

Farm boy
17th April 2005, 12:32 PM
no:) what is a morse taper?,the bloke comes back next wednesday so i will find out more then.

including how to drive it,according to the wife husband bought it at a liqadation (sic) auction a few years ago and was going to use it but never got around to it and is sitting in the shed collecting dust.
he has not got any tools with it so i will have to look around and probably read a book on lathes as well

smidsy
17th April 2005, 02:00 PM
I just had a look on ebay and couldn't find it - can you post an item# or URL.
Cheers
Paul

macca2
17th April 2005, 02:25 PM
I have had a look at sold items on ebay and looks like a gmc

smidsy
17th April 2005, 02:35 PM
Found it, and it is a GMC or an early incarnation of one.
Farmboy I am afraid you got stiffed, you can get those lathes new for $70 and they are a rip off at that price.
Do a search here on the GMC lathe and you'll see why.
Cheers
Paul

Farm boy
17th April 2005, 02:36 PM
hope this works

Farm boy
17th April 2005, 02:38 PM
bugger and they said it wasnt a gmc

smidsy
17th April 2005, 02:48 PM
It may not be badged as a GMC, but it is the same lathe - they've been around for a while before GMC started flogging them.

I actually got given one of these lathes, it is a GMC in every respect except for the lack of GMC badge. I won't use it for turning, but I'm obliged to use it for something because it was given to me by family friends so I plan on using the head for a disk sander.

Cheers
Paul

Farm boy
17th April 2005, 02:54 PM
thanks for your help guys i might have to do a bit of fibbing to the wife

HiString
18th April 2005, 12:29 AM
Without wanting to sound like a smart ar**, there is a lesson to be learnt here and that is to research and know your product before purchasing. Unfortunately, unless you have a very understanding seller, I doubt that there is any easy way to back out of this purchase. The lathe looks very similar to the cheapies I saw at Gasweld the other day..........maybe go over to Griffiths Rd and check them out, if they have a similar model and it's price is more than the $100, then you can honestly tell the missus you got a bargain.

smidsy
18th April 2005, 12:41 AM
Farmboy
According to Ebay you are stuck with it as you don't meet the bid retraction criteria.
He won't be understanding, he will enforce the sale because he knows it's christmas - he won't find anyone else that'll pay $100 for it.

You could just tell him to keep it, he would file a non paying bidder report with Ebay (he has to to not pay fees on the sale) and give you neg feedback.
Ebay may can your account, but your feedback is only 2 so it wouldn't be too much loss to open a new account in the wifes name.
Such a move is dodgy and as an occasional ebay seller it is not good but you do what is right for you.
Cheers
Paul

Farm boy
18th April 2005, 07:53 AM
guys i will cop it sweet and buy it,my parents brought me up to be honest and keep my word.

thanks
greg

adrian
18th April 2005, 11:29 AM
I would look into whether the 'uni-hosen mc1000' name has misrepresented the product. Get the manufacturers name and the serial number and see whether the lathe actially exists by that name.
The company is HANGZHOU UNI-HOSEN ELECTROMECHANICAL TOOLS CO.,LTD but I can't find any english language presence on the net..
I've been having a close look at the picture you provided and it just doesn't look kosher. What's holding up the tailstock end (where's the stand?)and why is there a shadowline at that end of the bed that doesn't seem to be cast on the floor and call me a total cynic but the angle that's it's sitting on the bench doesn't look right either. What's the symbol in the bottom right hand corner. Is it something on the floor or mid-air.
Ask for another picture, front on.

Stuart
18th April 2005, 12:16 PM
Actually, I'd be prepared to say it is not a GMC, as no GMC lathe has had a solid base plate (that I know of). They have always had a couple of rails for the base, as seen in the photos above. That is not to pass any comment on the price paid, value, quality etc etc, or that it wasn't made in the same factory to similar specs. The rest looks like a GMC :)

The symbol in the bottom right-hand corner, is added by the free software that sellers generally use to get their images onto the Ebay website - nothing suspiscious in that. I also wandered what was used to support the tail-end, and finally put it down to having the head securely bolted to the bench. Stupid thing to do if that is what they have done. Of course, if has never used it, this may have been just simply where he chose to take the photo, and using the weight of the head to keep the lathe in position for the photo, not for working. Hmm - hang on - what is the story with the shadow????

routermaniac
18th April 2005, 02:22 PM
agree with the above, firstly the bed is single piece, GMC is two piece and secondly the base is solid on this one, GMC is not. Chances are the rest specs are similar but even so not the same. Therefore comparing the two prices makes little sense :D ... and besides the current reduction in price of the GMC lathe is not available throughout Aus anyway.

PAH1
18th April 2005, 02:27 PM
I have seen one very similar to that painted green in a local tool store, had a lot more than that on it.

HiString
19th April 2005, 01:00 AM
Farm boy,

I'm certain you will find an almost identical lathe at Gasweld, only green in colour (Cat.,# 87-533286) and I have the feeling they are somewhat more than $100. I was browsing there a few days ago, mainly looking at a Tecknatool but also checked out the lesser offerings. I think you will find the main slides are hollow, square section tube rather than being solid steel..................this could probably account for the lathe in the Ebay pic being unsupported at the tail end and having both the toolrest and tailstock up close to the headstock. While the pic does look a bit odd, I think it is because it was taken with a semi wide angle setting on the camera which has tended to throw things visually out of wack.

What would concern me more is the apparent layer of crap over most of the lathe......... is it and why wouldn't the seller clean it off before taking a pic :confused:

:cool:

adrian
19th April 2005, 05:21 PM
I wondered why an unused lathe had so much crap on it but then I looked at some of the other things the same guy was selling. Like a pair of what look like moto-cross boots covered in dirt. He's obviously has no idea about how to present something for sale.

HiString
20th April 2005, 10:20 PM
There is a very similar looking lathe (brand name Roval) listed in the Buy and Trade forum here...........much better detail in the pics.

Salty
21st April 2005, 11:03 AM
Gidday HiString and Farm Boy
are you members of Woodturners of the Hunter? For less than FB payed for the GMC lathe you can join up and get access to a dozen different lathes in our workshop!! And as well access to a jointers(2) Bandsaws (3) and a planers, drillpress etc.
PM me if you would like me to send you more details:D

HiString
24th April 2005, 01:53 PM
Salty,

You have a PM so tell me more about the local woodturners :D

Poss272
6th May 2005, 12:24 AM
Hi guys, I have one of these things only it's green. Not the best of lathes but it is a good thing if you only play with it every now and then, and good for a beginner

Cheers

smidsy
6th May 2005, 10:35 PM
I got given one - a GMC in every respect except that it's green.
It was given to me by a long time family friend so I'm obliged to use it for something.
When I get round to it I'm going to set up the head as a disk sander and cite lack of room for two lathes as a reason for not using it was a lathe.

Paul

Stuart
7th May 2005, 12:02 AM
Knock it if you must- if anyone wants to give me a decent one I will definitely not refuse!

I will not claim to be any sort of wood turner- not until I get a reasonable lathe, but until then, I've still been having fun on the GMC.

The pen is made from a redgum fencepost, the ball & stand from a piece of redgum firewood, and the nautical gauge set is jarrah.

BTW, the finish is as shiny as it looks - thanks to Neil, the master chemist (UBeaut).

rsser
7th May 2005, 05:39 PM
Hey, nice work Stuart.

Just goes to show.

(They used to turn with pole powered lathes too; some nostalgia buffs still do for heaven's sake - diff strokes for diff folks!)

The Hornet
14th May 2005, 05:07 PM
Knock it if you must- if anyone wants to give me a decent one I will definitely not refuse!

I will not claim to be any sort of wood turner- not until I get a reasonable lathe, but until then, I've still been having fun on the GMC.

The pen is made from a redgum fencepost, the ball & stand from a piece of redgum firewood, and the nautical gauge set is jarrah.

BTW, the finish is as shiny as it looks - thanks to Neil, the master chemist (UBeaut).One of the guys at the Woodturning guild last night, said he used a similar lathe about 15 yrs ago when he started, and he used it for 18 months before spending $2000 on a new one. The club also had one there last night, and they said it works well, and is a good entry level lathe. They also have the opinion that, if you learn to turn on lesser quality machines and timbers, then when it comes time to upgrade, your skills increase 5 fold.