PDA

View Full Version : Flooding

ian thorn
27th January 2013, 07:43 PM
I hope all woodys are ok in the north from the storm and floods thinking of you all from here .keep your wood dry.

Regards Ian

Ironwood
27th January 2013, 08:09 PM
Here in Mackay, we got off very lightly this time. The worst I got is a bit of driveway damage from the water running down, nothing an hour or so on the tractor wont fix.

Not so lucky for some further south, I hope all you Guys And Gals fare well down there. Keep safe.

Allan at Wallan
28th January 2013, 04:04 PM
Fires in Victoria, floods in Qld, tornados in
West. Australia. ... we've got the lot here
in Australia.

Keep safe everyone.

Allan

chambezio
28th January 2013, 06:20 PM
This Big Country of ours can dish it out different to every body. Its not that long ago that the farmers of the east were scratching to make their wheat harvest worth while due to late rain the dry weather while the sandy farmers of the west had 2 bumper seasons.
To be on the land in any area, in Aus, is a lottery a lot of the time with any number of factors trying to get at them
To my mind if you are a full time farmer....you are hero!!!

Greg Ward
28th January 2013, 06:37 PM
In the old times, cedar cutters would use floods like this to get their logs down to the river mouth. So far around Coffs and Port Macquarie NSW, we're up to 200mm or so, but Qld has had much more.
It's impossible to do any work, the cattle have gone bush, but at last the dams are full again.

I've spent the past 2 days collecting field mushrooms cooking and freezing them, would have made a great cooking expo,.....haven't seen so many for years, combination of an excessive dry period, high heat and plenty of rain.
I reckon I've collected at least $40 worth !!!!! and for a farmer (what with cattle worth nothing and the floods now destroying crops), that's a great day's wage for any farmer! No wonder the kids want nothing to do with the country life.

Thinking of making an ark, could be a new market for all this timber I have floating around the farm
Greg

ian thorn
28th January 2013, 08:20 PM
You could try turning some of that timber

Ian

dai sensei
28th January 2013, 10:05 PM
Well today at 3:00pm it finally stopped raining and the wind died down. Unfortunately the rain started again at 5:30pm :doh:, but at least no damage.

My heart goes out for others further north

Bob Wemm
29th January 2013, 02:33 PM
I agree, getting a 1 in 100 year flood 2 years ago was bad enough but then copping it all over again would be heart breaking.
My best wishes go to you all.

Bob.

artme
29th January 2013, 04:24 PM
Well we have been stuck in Forster for the last few days. Luckily we are staying with my sister!!

I feel for everyone who has been hit a seond time in 2 years. Must be gut wrenching.

One thing that has annoyed me with all the reporting is the lack of accurate info on road closures.

Along with the repeated repeats of the repeats there should, IMHO, be at least an hourly update on road closures.

MAPLEMAN
29th January 2013, 04:45 PM
Bucketed down on the Sunshine Coast..then no electricity for a few days..now it's back to hot hot hot...at least the drought in this area is over...:2tsup:

Sturdee
29th January 2013, 04:47 PM
One thing that has annoyed me with all the reporting is the lack of accurate info on road closures.

Would this web site (http://livetraffic.rta.nsw.gov.au/desktop.html) help about the road closures, seems accurate and up to date.

Peter.

dabbler
29th January 2013, 04:58 PM
Well we have been stuck in Forster for the last few days. Luckily we are staying with my sister!!

I feel for everyone who has been hit a seond time in 2 years. Must be gut wrenching.

Along with the repeated repeats of the repeats there should, IMHO, be at least an hourly update on road closures.

Glad to hear you're safe artme. ABC radio have merged theirSEQ coverage into a single program. They've been giving comprehensive road reports every 30 to 60 mins. today. Facebook pages and various qld regional council websites have frequent updates and photos. Look for official pages not "fan" pages if using fb.

ABC radio network is the approved info source in disaster management. TV coverage is not always live besides TV sets usually need mains power.

two40
29th January 2013, 06:06 PM
Wouldn't want to compare myself with the very unfortunate folks up north (I'm from Sydney) but I woke up to some flooding in my house this morning. Took the day off work to clean up. As it happens, most of the flooding was in my temporary workshop area. Had to move all of my tools, cabinets, bench etc and remove the carpet (semi carpeted area) which was drenched and not worth saving. With my father's and brother's help we fixed the culprit which was a blocked drain in the sub floor area. I didn't even know this drain existed. This is the first big rain we've had since I've moved in to this house. A more thorough repair job is to follow.

It's amazing how a little water can cause such a big mess. My heart goes out to all the families dealing with a lot of water up north. Stay safe all.

dabbler
29th January 2013, 06:34 PM
Media and authorities seem to being paying a bit more attention to the Logan and Albert rivers systems this time too. In 2011 it was pretty much ignored in most status reports yet it was then the worst flood in decades.

Sis and BIL are isolated by water in Waterford West (again). It's still wait and see stuff but at least power is restored and they are getting regular media updates that have meaningful information. They think they'll be okay. I guess they've had several days to move what they could to higher ground.

The slab/timber stash is on safe, high ground.

Sawdust Maker
29th January 2013, 09:01 PM
Yep keep safe everybody

powderpost
29th January 2013, 09:37 PM
35 degrees in the kitchen at 7.00pm. This is how and where that last lot started. Just hope it is not a repeat performance.
Jim

Mobyturns
29th January 2013, 09:53 PM
35 degrees in the kitchen at 7.00pm. This is how and where that last lot started. Just hope it is not a repeat performance.
Jim

Same here in Townsville Jim. Sunday & Monday were the most uncomfortable days I have experienced in Townsville.
Hope all those affected have the resolve to pick themselves up again - tough gig going thru it again. All we can do is dig deep & donate.

artme
30th January 2013, 09:26 AM
Thanks Sturdee, we actually got onto that last night!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup: