PDA

View Full Version : Woohoo! I'm now officially 'a valued member of our community'

rsser
29th January 2013, 06:28 PM
Acc to the Seniors (sic) Card issued by the Vic govt.

The card also says: 'Please extend every courtesy and assistance'.

Means my life is going to change overnight :rolleyes:

All it actually means is cheaper public transport and a couple of free country train trips in Vic. ( = middle class welfare; I'd rather the money went to education and health care).

I'll still be standing on my suburban line trains (due to ratshit transport planning by govt over a period of years) and the only courtesy I can expect will be from a few Asian students who've learned in their home culture to respect those with grey hair. Bless 'em.

Scribbly Gum
29th January 2013, 06:54 PM
Acc to the Seniors (sic) Card issued by the Vic govt.

The card also says: 'Please extend every courtesy and assistance'.

Means my life is going to change overnight :rolleyes:

All it actually means is cheaper public transport and a couple of free country train trips in Vic. ( = middle class welfare; I'd rather the money went to education and health care).

I'll still be standing on my suburban line trains (due to ratshit transport planning by govt over a period of years) and the only courtesy I can expect will be from a few Asian students who've learned in their home culture to respect those with grey hair. Bless 'em.

Bless you Ern.
Well deserved Oh grey haired one.
Welcome to the other side of the hill.
Ha ha

SG

cava
29th January 2013, 07:34 PM
Bless you Ern.
Well deserved Oh grey haired one.
Welcome to the other side of the hill.
Ha ha

SG

At least he has hair! :roll:

rsser
29th January 2013, 07:47 PM
LOL.

Thanks.

The good sign (I think) is that I still feel I'm still pushing up the hill :wink:

mic-d
29th January 2013, 08:42 PM
I thought you were always a valued member of the community!

rsser
29th January 2013, 09:06 PM
Thanks mic-d. As did I.

This patronising tripe ...

But to be fair to the Premier of Vic and the Minister for Ageing (oddly they're not the same person) I applied for the card cos the missus preceded me in this game and would like us to take a train trip to country Vic. We'll have a weekend in a town with a good regional gallery or a destination restaurant and so will spread our baby-boomer dollars around to support local biz. Expect we'll occupy otherwise vacant seats on the trains so it might be win-win in dollar terms. And who can argue with that?

Scribbly Gum
29th January 2013, 09:10 PM
Thanks mic-d. As did I.

This patronising tripe ...

But to be fair to the Premier of Vic and the Minister for Ageing (oddly they're not the same person) I applied for the card cos the missus preceded me in this game and would like us to take a train trip to country Vic. We'll have a weekend in a town with a good regional gallery or a destination restaurant and so will spread our baby-boomer dollars around to support local biz. Expect we'll occupy otherwise vacant seats on the trains so it might be win-win in dollar terms. And who can argue with that?
Baby boomers save the country again!
Onya Ern!
SG

Sturdee
29th January 2013, 09:33 PM
I still feel I'm still pushing up the hill :wink:

But it becomes easier rolling down the hill rather then pushing up it.:U

Welcome to the club Ern.

Peter.

Chesand
30th January 2013, 06:08 AM

We have used ours to go to Bendigo for the various exhibitions at their Gallery over the last couple of years.

Hint: If going to Bendigo from the northern or western suburbs it is easier to catch the train at Watergardens (plenty of parking) than the city.

Mulgabill
30th January 2013, 08:42 AM
Yes Ern! Welcome to the other side of the hill.
I have a bias for Bendigo, but it does have great galleries and restaurants and it is easy to get to as Chesand suggests.

jimbur
30th January 2013, 10:10 AM
I'd go with Bendigo, it caters for you young blokes Ern.:D

rsser
30th January 2013, 10:59 AM
Bendigo it is.

The missus has 'done' Ballarat on her own anyway.

jimbur
30th January 2013, 12:56 PM
It's worth looking at the furniture in the Chinese Museum, just what you need to top up your cultural levels.:D

rsser
30th January 2013, 12:59 PM
Sounds good. Add a yum cha into the day perhaps.

Mulgabill
30th January 2013, 05:05 PM
Sound like a plan Ern:2tsup:
Make sure you allow plenty of time. Us seniors cannot rush around like we used to.:;

rsser
30th January 2013, 06:09 PM
There'll be no rush Mulgabill.

The order's only just gone in for the carbon fibre/titanium Zimmer frame with Kevlar tyres and Pedders suspension :D

Must say Bendigo has a good website for tourists:

Bendigo Tourism - Home (http://www.bendigotourism.com/)

Mulgabill
30th January 2013, 06:56 PM
The order's only just gone in for the carbon fibre/titanium Zimmer frame with Kevlar tyres and Pedders suspension :D ....

With alloy mags?? You lucky buggar :U

rsser
30th January 2013, 07:19 PM
Damn! I forgot the alloy mags :(

The foxtail on the antenna I can fit myself.

Also the air horn ... self-powered of course :D

Sawdust Maker
30th January 2013, 07:41 PM
Jees Ern

thanks for this - now I've got something to look forward to
I imagine the NSW govt one only gives us the card and no benefit

What's the time frame on the zimmer order - should I put my name down now?

rsser
30th January 2013, 08:08 PM
Nick, we could look at a bulk buy.

Options: motor added; swords added to front wheels to get to the front of pesky queues.

Sawdust Maker
30th January 2013, 08:43 PM
I like the swords idea - a la Ben Hur

rsser
17th February 2013, 07:16 PM
All set up for a couple of days starting tomorrow. Impressed with the range of stuff there. The Gallery looks good; Chinese museum is on the agenda; lots of good eateries.

Going to be a tad on the warm side so it'll be striding out early and then retiring to quarters cooled by the dirtiest energy form available.

Next year I'll put my money where my sweat won't be.

Sawdust Maker
17th February 2013, 07:35 PM
Bendigo's a nice town
Enjoy

rsser
20th February 2013, 11:55 AM
Yeah. We had a great time. There's some interesting buildings (esp. Charing Cross), the Vintage Talking Tramway is a hoot, and the locals were friendly and obliging. The Art Gallery has some interesting works with a Bill Henson exhibition on at the moment (not my cuppa though). +1 scored some pieces of old bone china for a set she's building up. The Chinese Museum has a stunning big 3 panel carved wood screen.

Overall the sense is clear that there's coherent and responsive tourism development.