PDA

View Full Version : home-made venturi

surfdabbler
18th April 2005, 02:01 PM
Has anyone made their own venturi vacuum system? I have a home-workshop, and would love to be able to occasionally use a vacuum system for vacuum clamping (for routing), and a vacuum press for laminating.

I've looked at commercial systems, and there are some nice systems around, but the cost would be around $1000 to get what I need, and I think it would be a nice project to build a venturi system and hook it up to a few different modules.

The tricky bit is designing the venturi to give a good vacuum without using too much air. I'd prefer to use < 4cfm of air to achieve the vacuum, but I need a good strong vacuum, with hardly any cfm on the vacuum side.

Alternatively, anyone know where I can buy a simple cheap venturi - $50 would seem reasonable - that can be hooked up to different systems.

silentC
18th April 2005, 02:24 PM
Have you looked at this: http://www.vac-clamp.com/vc%20price.htm

surfdabbler
18th April 2005, 05:48 PM
I had been looking at these things, but the price I was quoted was about double those listed where you pointed out. Thanks for that link. Now, there's still the issue of the vacuum laminating. Maybe I should get the Vac-clamp and hook that up to a plastic bag...? :)

journeyman Mick
18th April 2005, 06:32 PM
Surfdabbler,
you can get a venturi vacuum cleaner attachment that hooks up to a compressor. Cost around $50, lots of vacuum but I'm not sure how much air it uses.

Mick

silentC
19th April 2005, 08:48 AM
Here's another thread that I vaguely recalled which may be of interest:

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=7403&

Do a search here on 'vacuum venturi'.

johnsymons
21st April 2005, 11:13 PM
can draw you a pic and post it if you want....

Has anyone made their own venturi vacuum system? I have a home-workshop, and would love to be able to occasionally use a vacuum system for vacuum clamping (for routing), and a vacuum press for laminating.

I've looked at commercial systems, and there are some nice systems around, but the cost would be around $1000 to get what I need, and I think it would be a nice project to build a venturi system and hook it up to a few different modules.

The tricky bit is designing the venturi to give a good vacuum without using too much air. I'd prefer to use < 4cfm of air to achieve the vacuum, but I need a good strong vacuum, with hardly any cfm on the vacuum side.

Alternatively, anyone know where I can buy a simple cheap venturi - $50 would seem reasonable - that can be hooked up to different systems.