PDA

View Full Version : seeking advice - chainsaws

Ivor
25th March 2002, 01:37 PM
Dear woodies,

I have a couple of trees that I have to take down and it is the time in my life to go out and buy a chainsaw.

Been to a couple of shops now and the size and power of a chainsaw that I think I need is about $750 for a Stihl. I know the old saying "You get what you pay for" and Stihl are the top of the range, but has any body had any experince with cheaper saws and if so can they recommend a brand?

Thanks

Ivor

Eastie
25th March 2002, 02:34 PM
Can't help with and won't name any crap quality, inferior, waste of money chain saws but -

If it’s a one-off job for your property, I’d consider checking out the hire companies in your area.

Steer clear of electrical saws as they are only pruning saws (it hurts to admit they’ve actually got a use).

Alternatively check out if there are any tree removalists nearby. Some charge less if you want to keep the trunk/major limbs for turning.

If you’re keen on buying, Stihl and Husqvarna are the main players in the reliable saw market for a reason – i.e. being able to start the saw after 6 months without ending up at the repair store replacing the cracked gaskets in the carby only to find parts have to be imported via slow boat from China against the global current.

I’d recommend you check out a reputable dealer who handles reconditioned second hand saws (i.e. New Age Arbor in Melbourne). This way you can get a decent saw at a fraction of the cost and you will get a repair warranty should things turn pear shaped.

Ask around and work out what power/bar size you need but DONT be fooled into buying the biggest (bluest) saw – it will more than likely chew up the sapling your trying to reshape and throw it at you.

Whatever you go for try it out on site so you know what to expect, ie – how hard is it to start, vibration & smoke levels, weird noises and ability to cut through a piece of wood. It also gives you a chance at picking up on some of the basic safe operating practices.

Mark

Andrew.W
25th March 2002, 02:55 PM
Spend the extra money and buy the Stihl. You won't regret it. I have had mine for years, always starts first time and has never let me down.

Regards
Andrew.......

ubeaut
25th March 2002, 03:13 PM
I have a Solo that has cut thousands of cubic metres of fire wood, mostly box and ironbark. It is now 17 years old has (I'm ashamed to admit) only ever been serviced once and is virtually unstopable. It has a 28 inch bar and has done a lot of very heavy work.

It has been out of use for about 2 years thanks to gas fires (I love em) but I had occasion to start it up to lop a few branches about 4 mth ago. It started first pull did the job brilliantly and sat idling quietly on the ground for a good few minutes between branches.

I can't praise it highly enough. I had previously killed a McCulloch and a small Sthil. Couldn't afford a Husky at the time, the Solo was the best priced saw I could find almost half that of the Husky and much less than Sthil, and I wouldn't reconsider another McCulloch after running into really bad service from a couple of their agents. One actually said you didn't buy it from me so take it somewhere else for repairs.

Hope this helps.

Cheers - Neil

Yea Solo!

Iain
25th March 2002, 04:54 PM
Here is another worthy contender, I've had my Sachs Dolmar for 20 odd years and it still runs like a dream. Two pulls on full choke, push it in and bang third pull it's away, every time (except when the bloody wasps built a nest deep in the exhaust but thats another story).
I find it is similar in construction to the Stihl and works as well, even comes from the same region and there is bugger all plastic on them.

Roly
25th March 2002, 06:46 PM
Sounds like my old johnsenred that's been around for a few years now. Inherited from the father in law but as reliable a bit of machinery as I have ever owned.

Roly

Eastie
26th March 2002, 09:54 AM
Growing up near the wonderful logging town of Orbost has it's advantages.

Jonsered/solo/... are generally fine for now an then firewood collection, so long as you've got easy access to spare parts & service.

If you're not cutting wood for a fire place every year and your not regularly sizing large sections for a lathe then the investment may be questionable.

Hire a saw, buy a slab of beer or bundy, chop the tree down, sit back, crack open a can and smile - you just saved $400+ (so long as the saw didn't bite you).

PS. Tree removalists can also grind the stump - something worth considering.

Iain
26th March 2002, 10:18 AM
Sounds like he might need the Stihl 090,great little saw for the beginner http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/biggrin.gif

Eastie
26th March 2002, 10:34 AM
Aaahhahh! I have it. Stoppers, what color blue is the big blue lathe ? Perhaps it'd sell better in a combo deal with a reeeealy big blue stihl http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/biggrin.gif

(don't tell anyone its a bastard to start hot - even with the huuuuge decompresssion valve).

[This message has been edited by Eastie (edited 26 March 2002).]

Pulpo
26th March 2002, 08:32 PM
Greetings

I'm another Husky fan.
I own a big husky in fact probably too big for most work, although hoping to start doing some timber milling with the chain saw.
Also considering a smaller one so my arm doesn't fall off at the end of the day.
I will really only look at Stihl or Husqvana.
In my limited experience I have found other brands always had problems, oil pump never worked properly, or the chain became lose too easily, difficult to re start, not to mention finding parts. I find when you chop down a tree you spend most of the day using the chainsaw, it has to take some punishment.

No I'm not a tree removalist or the like.

Invest in Stihl or Husky they are good machines.

Enjoy

Ivor
27th March 2002, 10:05 AM
Thanks for the advice guys,

I reckon I'll go looking for a second hand Stihl or Solo as there are two service shops in Armidale. But that'll probably be used for firewood. I have tried hiring chainsaws before but couldn't find anyone who handled them, some hire companies said it wasn't worth their while and people stuffed them up very quickly.

I did get one quote to get the trees down and chipped - $900 and $600 to do the stump grinding. Seems bloody expensive to me.

The trees are golden firs, buggered if I know the species name. Is the wood likely to be good for working? I don't want to burn it in case it clogs up the chimney.

Ivor

Iain
27th March 2002, 11:08 AM
If it's pine it will block the flue very quickly, we used to get free pine off cuts and it just was not worth the trouble. Good for kindling and thats about all.
It is also a bugger to split as the spongy texture lets the splitter in then closes up on it. My dear wife accepted two free trees for firewood and sent me round with the ute to get them, both were pine and I was really peeved.
The flues we had were 6" and 8" and both would block in just over a week when the wood was dry.

John Saxton
27th March 2002, 09:08 PM
Just to put another spoke in the wheel I have had for many years ..tooo many to recall, a Homelite chainsaw that has never ever let me down..started every time and has done what I required of it..and contrary to what Stoppers has said that most are crap..we..ll I guess you get that with everything ..it depends on the individual appliance that may or may not be crap and not necessarily by brand.

Last year I bought a new Stihl from my brother who has a chainsaw agency purely on his recommendations (plus the extra chains thrown in) http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif and altho it has a lot more power and a bigger blade I'm yet to be convinced that it isn't just another marketing exercise from the manufacturer.

Admittedly it has only had enough usage to warrant it's warranty first service so to be fair it's got a long way to go.

As Eastie said the need for a chainsaw depends on the use you have for it, to warrant the outlay whether on a hire basis or for a purhase to justify the outlay.
Just My 2C worth http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

Rod Smith
27th March 2002, 11:06 PM
G'day
FWIW I was given a little McCulloch by my father (r.i.p.) about 14 years ago after he saw me cutting firewood with a hand saw. I have used it to cut all our fire wood over those years with no probs, goes like a beauty.
Cheers
Rod

JackoH
29th March 2002, 10:36 AM
Chainsaws are dangerous,.Particularly in the hands of beginners,as you seem to be.Not the best start in your learning process to be felling dirty big trees!
Get the Tree Fellers in! They are insured. You are not!
Providing you stand well back you won't get killed in the process.
Get them to saw it up into firewood sized lumps, put a notice outside "Firewood $20 or $30 a trailerfull, load it yourself" and sit back and watch it disappear! There should be enough idiots about who do not know that it is lousy firewood to get rid of it!! Howver if it is any help, and you must have a saw. Get the best you can afford. As with so many things in this life,"You Gets What You Pay For!" http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/eek.gif
Good Luck!
Regards John H.

[This message has been edited by John Hambly (edited 29 March 2002).]

Iain
29th March 2002, 12:03 PM
Tree Feller, isn't that Tarzan?

Rod Smith
29th March 2002, 06:43 PM
G'day
Good point John, very dangerous. Another way you might get the trees down is to get someone who wants the wood to do it? Done that myself to get wood a few times.
Cheers
Rod
PS If you do buy one get a safety/instruction video and watch it.

soundman
18th April 2002, 10:56 PM
two words when buying a chain saw
STHIL HUSKVANA
i have not seen a professional tree lopper of forestry worker using any thig else
the huskys are soposedly a little lighter and a shade cheaper
sthil claim to have invented the chain saw
parts and such are ggood for both
if you have a serious need regular tree maintence two saws is a good idea a little one & a bigger one
small for limb trimming and the bigun for the heavy stuff