PDA

View Full Version : All packed and NOT ready to go

dai sensei
2nd February 2013, 08:17 PM
Well I finally finished all the mods to my set-up (see http://www.woodworkforums.com/f119/my-new-set-up-163591/) and packed my trailer with all my gear to head off Last week. Although a structural engineer/project manager for the past 35 years, I wanted to relax and concentrate on my woodworking whilst travelling.

This trip is just for 3 months travelling south, but a trial for the 6 month north trip and 12 month full circle trip to follow. So I did want to pack a fair bit to occupy myself and earn some extra $'s. It travelled really well but I took the whole rig over the scales to make sure. Although the GCM (Gross Combined Mass - ie everything) was under, I was shocked at the GVM (Gross Vehicle Mass - ie car and everything in it) being over, and rear axle plus trailer axle loads were waaaaay over :oo:.

The trailer was 0.6t over the registered capacity of 0.75t. So I had my trailer upgraded to a 1.5t capacity and electric brakes installed, cost ~$1200 :-, but it put my mind at ease. It also allows me to really load it up next time I am collecting logs for milling :2tsup:. I then repacked the trailer to ensure the tow ball was minimised, plus emptied all the heavy tools out of the under tray tool boxes I carry.

Took it over the scales again, but unfortunately the car was still way over on its rear axle (by 400kgs :o, I had assumed the previous overload was primarily due to tow ball load), and over its GVM (by 160kgs). So I took off the trailer and sure enough, I have way too much in the camper and car still.

For the short trip I will remove a lot of stuff, as I need to leave ASAP, the trailer has delayed me enough already. Empty water tank (most of the time this trip I am staying with friends or caravan park where I can fill up again); move any tools and canopy to trailer; cut down on number pots and pans; no cappuccino machine (ahhhh :cry4:); leave behind the portable BBQ (and it fitted so well in the storage cabinet); etc etc etc. Yes I do like to travel with everything :B, but after all, I am going for a while.

That may be fine for the short trip, but NBG for the longs ones, so I need to find a more permanent solution. I looked at a wheel base extension, which would help with load distribution, but doesn't increase the axle capacity or GVM capacity. The only thing so far I've seen is a Lazy Axle. Creative Conversions can do it, a company in Brisbane, but at a huge cost.

Any thoughts from the brains trust?

Cheers

Allan at Wallan
2nd February 2013, 08:37 PM
Just drive down and borrow 's motor home.:D

Allan

RETIRED
3rd February 2013, 08:12 AM
Don't put a lazy axle under it. It restricts its manoeuvrability, adds extra weight, increases fuel consumption, costs a fortune & adds 2 extra tyres.

Unfortunately you are suffering what all motorhomers come across in that the manufacturers figures are a little fudged and when you add things it takes it over the GVM.

You have to treat loading like you are carrying everything on your back.

Another trick is to get some Red stickers. If you use something put a sticker on it. When you get home, anything that hasn't got a sticker on it gets left out. Do that twice (next time use a yellow sticker) and you will be surprised what you can do without.:D

wheelinround
3rd February 2013, 11:11 AM
Neil Only solution is up size. I guess what you took in the vehicle when weighing did not include food, cloths etc all which will add to total.

Is the trailer boggy axle? I can't recall.

dai sensei
3rd February 2013, 12:13 PM
Don't put a lazy axle under it. It restricts its manoeuvrability, adds extra weight, increases fuel consumption, costs a fortune & adds 2 extra tyres.

Unfortunately you are suffering what all motorhomers come across in that the manufacturers figures are a little fudged and when you add things it takes it over the GVM.

You have to treat loading like you are carrying everything on your back.

Another trick is to get some Red stickers. If you use something put a sticker on it. When you get home, anything that hasn't got a sticker on it gets left out. Do that twice (next time use a yellow sticker) and you will be surprised what you can do without.:D

Although I agree 100%, to comply I have to lose/move 400kgs, and ALL the temporary stuff doesn't add up to that. That's why I'm removing, apart from the optional necessities, the water, gas cylinders and tools (into the trailer) .... even the back seat in the car to get under. Unfortunately the shelving and microwave oven etc etc I installed are all down the back too.

Neil Only solution is up size. I guess what you took in the vehicle when weighing did not include food, cloths etc all which will add to total.

Is the trailer boggy axle? I can't recall.

When I weighed it I had it all packed ready to go, so it did include food and clothes etc. What has thrown me out is the under tray tool boxes I had installed, mainly for when I don't have the camper on, added a lot more than I thought.

The trailer is just a single axle, upgraded now to 1500kg capacity with electric brakes. If I had more time I would have considered buying a larger dual axle trailer. It just means I need to remove as much as I can from the trailer, and I there is a lot I could do without, then pack the stuff from the camper into it. That was I still have access to them when I stop. I also need to ensure the tow ball weight is very low.

Cheers

Big Shed
3rd February 2013, 12:40 PM
Time to trade in on one of these?

2013 Chevy Silverado 3500HD | Diesel Truck | Chevrolet (http://www.chevrolet.com/silverado-3500hd-pickup-truck.html)

wheelinround
3rd February 2013, 01:45 PM
Niel thanks thought you may have loaded it all but never know.

I have seen a driver doing camper tours full load everything including dual axle trailer load office staff and workshop staff in and have the vehicle weighed just to know where he stood of course this didn't tell him true weight of real passengers, wet tents or their bags.

Here's what I had dreamed of doing (http://www.useeus.com.au/blog1.php) with vehicles this size it boils down to $$$$ room to park it etc.

Chris Parks
3rd February 2013, 10:39 PM
What is the tow vehicle? Stick a bloody big bull bar and winch on it to move the centre of gravity forwards. I know it sounds a bit screwy but adding weight in the right place can help. Lowering the front suspension can will also help but I can understand why that may not be acceptable. Check the front axle allowance and actual weight before adding at the front of course.

dai sensei
4th February 2013, 10:25 AM
Well I managed to empty the camper, except for some clothes and the food in the fridge and got it under the GVM, and the rear axle is close to allowable (near enough). I managed to store most of the camper stuff in the trailer, even the support legs, then repack it to reduce the tow ball to 60kgs. This will bring the GVM back to limit, so I'm about to go back to the weigh bridge to see what impact it has on rear axle, but there is nothing more I can do. The trailer is probably around 1.2t, I did remove a fair bit before reloading with camper stuff, plus tow ball is at 5% and below the 10% recommended.

What is the tow vehicle? Stick a bloody big bull bar and winch on it to move the centre of gravity forwards. I know it sounds a bit screwy but adding weight in the right place can help. Lowering the front suspension can will also help but I can understand why that may not be acceptable. Check the front axle allowance and actual weight before adding at the front of course.

It is a new Mazda BT50, see link in first post. Can't add more weight as you suggest, it was also over the GVM already.

baz wood
4th February 2013, 01:12 PM
don't worry about the weight get out on the open road speed up on overtaking lanes pull out in front of trucks at servo's and tow in fifth gear them bt-50's love it who cares if everyone else is in danger it's all in the rearview mirror:U

dai sensei
13th March 2013, 08:31 PM
Well I got a lazy axle installed whilst in Melbourne, although if I had more time, I probably would have built a new trailer to carry the camper with additional storage for the turning equipment. Didn't go exactly to plan, based on rough dimensions and discussions, we decided to extend by only 2 panels in the tray (ie 300mm). But when he went to refit the side tool boxes the didn't fit, by just 50-100mm. As time was against us, plus my other objective that the tray was not extended too far, they just let them off and installed some long mudflaps (from car mats :o). I took the car and was going to extend the tray by another panel when I got back. Unfortunately the tool boxes didn't fit in the trailer, so I decided to extend the tray by other means (the tray panels come from Qld and take 5 days to get).

I designed up a 100mm extension and bought all the parts Sat, then installed them Sun & Mon (yes in the stinking Melbourne heat). I managed to install 100x50 C channel extensions to the main tray beams and outer edges, then used them to support a 100x50 RHS on its side for the full width of the tray as the extension. I also used the outer channels for the rear camper support. The tool boxes needed to be boxed out 50x50, along the top back edge to fit under the RHS, which I sealed again with some angle. I then attached some new LED tail lights that were only 45mm thick (the old ones were 100 due to the globe holders). Managed to pick up the lights for $35 for the pair (eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/221194496248?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_2492wt_1016)), all the aluminium RHS/C/angles for another $150, so all up with bolts/nyloc nuts etc total ~$200.

More than if I had extended the tray with an extra panel, including the other associated components, but the RHS has given me a good strong edge beam that should take the loads better from loading up large logs for milling (when not using the ute with the camper). It looks pretty good I reckon. Unfortunately I had to completely relay the grey water hoses on the camper, that previously hung below the unit overhanging the tray, so now needed to be mounted up in between he campers bearers.

I'm all packed up again now ready to travel to Wagga Wagga for the weekend's Turnabout. I'll take some more photos with the trailer hooked up and post in my travel thread.

Cheers

RETIRED
13th March 2013, 09:19 PM
Issa looka good Luigi.:D

Cliff Rogers
13th March 2013, 11:08 PM
Now ya gotta go & get it dirty.

Grommett
13th March 2013, 11:32 PM
And there is me with my p--ly van looking at what you are able to do! It would be great to meet up somewhere, sometime this (Vic) winter.

DJ’s Timber
14th March 2013, 12:26 AM
Looking good Neil :2tsup:

NCArcher
14th March 2013, 08:25 AM
That should do the trick. :2tsup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TD_pSeNelU&list=AL94UKMTqg-9CUdhQSkhTaPqtA_oLIvdq6

dai sensei
14th March 2013, 10:05 AM
Some more photos loaded up, plus some close ups of the tie-downs

Big Shed
14th March 2013, 10:12 AM
Looking good Neil:2tsup:

Bedford
14th March 2013, 11:14 AM
I'd be keeping an eye on that "s" hook on the front tie down, what's to stop it straightening out?

rwbuild
14th March 2013, 11:25 AM
I'd be keeping an eye on that "s" hook on the front tie down, what's to stop it straightening out?

Have to agree, its a disaster waiting to happen.

Looks like a 6mm stainless tensioner for SS balustrade /shade sail. Definitely not designed or certified for the loads / stresses that the camper unit will impose.

dai sensei
14th March 2013, 08:47 PM

Hmm, I assume you are referring to the eye hook, and yes perhaps it can straighten out. This is a temporary set-up until I can get the slide over aluminium section with true closed eye bolt like I already have for the rear ones (that were previously on the front ones) from Coffs Harbour on my way through.

No movement yet, but I will keep an eye on it. I guess I could get some one to do a bit of SS welding to close the loop if it shows any signs of moving in the meantime.