PDA

View Full Version : Kayak Varnish Issue

Wookie82
3rd February 2013, 01:37 PM
Hi All,

I am varnishing my One Ocean Kayak Cirrus and am getting little dimples spots in the varnish finish, does anyone know what is the cause of it? I am using Feast Watson Marine Spar Varnish. After each coat its wet sanded with 360 grit and then washed, dried vacuumed and then wiped over with a tack rag. I am thinking its the tack rag leaving something on the surface? But I really have no idea as this is my first major varnish job.

Thank you for any help,
Mike
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-cV1kwHtBmdE/UQ3KcZa6l2I/AAAAAAAAAcM/_k6QUz7K5TQ/s800/%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

b.o.a.t.
3rd February 2013, 02:39 PM
What's under the varnish ? Epoxy/glass ?
And if so, what brand ?
cheers
Alan

Wookie82
3rd February 2013, 02:57 PM
Yes, Epoxy/Glass is under and the brand is Bote-Cote - using Non-Yellowing Hardner.

Cheers,
Mike

b.o.a.t.
4th February 2013, 03:21 AM
hmmmmmm....
the dimples says surface contamination, as in amine blush.
the brand is non blushing (or so sayeth the label).
the prep effort is top-notch.
the crows say ....

Sand & do it again ?

sorry. haven't had the problem, but don't use the NY formulation, just the regular BoteCote.
regards
Alan J

Wookie82
4th February 2013, 08:31 PM
Thanks for your help Alan, I have sanded it all back to epoxy.

PAR
6th February 2013, 12:14 PM
Fish eyes can be any type of offending contamination. There's a lot of things to look for, including the sand paper you where using. Some have popped, suggesting a vapor was escaping, though surface tension also may have caused this too.

Tack rags generally don't leave anything, was it a home made tack rag?

Wookie82
6th February 2013, 05:07 PM
Thanks for your response PAR, no it was not a home made tack rag. I ended up doing the boat with Aquacote and love the look way more and the finish is great!

b.o.a.t.
8th February 2013, 02:28 AM
Pics !!

BDDFC
8th February 2013, 01:13 PM
That is what it looks like to me. You will need to sand it all the way down and
wipe it with a solvent and start over. I use thin super glue and fill the eyes and sand light and paint again and it work for me. I use dupont clear coat auto finish but I am not sure about varnish.