PDA

View Full Version : What is this?

Programmer
18th April 2005, 05:42 PM
Hi folks, has anyone any idea of what this metal ventilated box is. (See pics). I thought it might be similar to the white gas vent to the right (see pic). Any thoughts appreciated. Really want to know if I can get rid of it.

Cheers

Termite
18th April 2005, 05:45 PM
Burglar alarm siren?

simon c
18th April 2005, 05:58 PM
I may be asking you to do the obvious, but what is around it?
ie what is on the inside of the wall at that point (and below) and is there anything near the ground in that area on the outside.

silentC
18th April 2005, 05:58 PM
Or a vent for a flued gas heater maybe... Take it off and have a look. That's what I do when I'm curious :eek:

simon c
18th April 2005, 06:01 PM
Or a vent for a flued gas heater maybe... That gave me a thought, why do you think the white thing on the right is a gas vent. It looks like a normal room vent to me.

Do you have a gas heater behind the wall, and if so the mystery item is probably the vent for that and the white vent will just be to the room or to the ceiling space.

ozwinner
18th April 2005, 06:28 PM
Its where the Gremlins hide dureing the day.

Al :D

Bob Willson
18th April 2005, 06:36 PM
What a load of garbage Al.
All the Gremlins come back to my computer during the day

Programmer
18th April 2005, 06:51 PM
Thanks for the responses guys. I'll try my hand at confusing a bit further...

There's absolutely nothing 'around' it. Nothing below except wboards and ground.
There is, in fact, a gas heater, but it's about ten metres to the right.
The 'gas' vent i mention is, as SimonC pointed out, just a normal room vent. There are multiple. I only called it that from habit after some guy once called them that...

The gas heater (10m to the right) has a flue (funny that), and yet another vent.

Could it be that they installed this 'thing' years after the place was built and couldn't match the vent style? Maybe after a moisture problem?

I will take it off and have a gawk. Just thought someone might say, "Don't remove it! It's an extra-terrestial, super dooper, thingy that will self-destruct."

Oh, and a burgular thingy? Don't think so.

ozwinner
18th April 2005, 07:03 PM
Just thought someone might say, "Don't remove it! It's an extra-terrestial, super dooper, thingy that will self-destruct."

Oh, and a burgular thingy? Don't think so.
YOU MUST, MUST, wear a foil hat when undoing the vent, or the thing inside might get control of your thoughts.
Then it will post all sorts of garbage on this BB and confuse us all.

Al :eek:

Grunt
18th April 2005, 07:23 PM
Then it will post all sorts of garbage on this BB and confuse us all.

Al

And that's never happened before.

Cliff Rogers
18th April 2005, 07:30 PM
What termite says.... it looks like the cover that they fit over a Burglar alarm siren, usually it has a tamper proof switch that goes off when you unscrew it to stop would-be thieves from doing the noise maker an injury.

It often has a blue light fitted to the top of it that flashes when the siren goes off.

Kev Y.
18th April 2005, 07:39 PM
Cliff.. are you sure you havethe right item :confused: :confused:
The last time I saw something that had a flashing blue light and a siren, it was following me down the road and contained to DanP's :o :D

arms
18th April 2005, 08:47 PM
personally i think its a vent for the exhaust from the kitchen/bathroom,but then again i have been known to be wrong but then again i was wrong about that to.

Harry72
18th April 2005, 09:41 PM
Well thinkin what it was while wearing the foil beany... its a post box for a very tall postman with very small sized letters!

definitely looks like a old alarm siren housing. Does it have tamper proof screws?

soundman
18th April 2005, 09:47 PM
Its a siren cover, I havn't seen a brown one in years, add the corrosion, I'd say an old one.
Do you have a functioning alarm? Don't answer that question or the boys will be arround to knock your place off.

On vary rare ocasions you will find a tamper switch fitted most installers can't be botherd.

Then there are the clever types. Fit a siren cover, with tamper switch and put the siren speaker somewhere else :D.

there may be nothing in it.

If you want to get rid of it because its uggly (& it is) either relocate the speaker somewhere else or replace it with a nice shiny new white one.

Any burgular allarm supplier will sel you one for under $20 or less.

Cliff Rogers
18th April 2005, 10:03 PM
http://www.dse.com.au/isroot/dse/images/products/l5306.jpg

or

http://www1.jaycar.com.au/products_uploaded/productLarge_1145.jpg

or

http://www.mierproducts.com/speaker.htm

Stylesy
19th April 2005, 04:11 PM
It's a reaaaaly small extension - possibly done without council approval.

Just call it a fully-enclosed overhanging balcony structure (complete with security :) ) should you ever wish to sell up. :D

Craig