PDA

View Full Version : Another OOOPs!!

wood hacker
4th February 2013, 10:37 PM
Was playing with another bit of the cyprus I scored the other day. Was trying something slightly different form wise and had turned and sanded the piece.

Was just parting it off the tenon when I got slightly distracted. Parting tool made contact with the piece while waving about in the air. Half a sceond later it was on the other side of the work shop an the bowl had a dirty big chunk out of the side. Oh well leason learnt with no damage to myself or more importantly the tool. This one can sit on the shelf to see how badly this timber cracks and or warps during air drying (sorry about the quality of the pics they're done on my phone). I'm liking the colours in this timber and if I ever get any to the finished stage the should look pretty speccy.

Now excuse me while I go and change my underware

cheers
WH

dr4g0nfly
5th February 2013, 06:07 AM
I've got one like this - in the side of a Cherry Vase...

...Damn annoying ain't they.

artme
5th February 2013, 09:06 AM
Getting good at this, aren''tcha!!!:D:D

Nanigai
5th February 2013, 09:26 AM
Ouch, that reminds me I need a new face shield.:o
Better luck with the next one WH.
Maybe you should think about changing your handle:D

Cheers, Ian

wood hacker
5th February 2013, 09:48 AM
Getting good at this, aren''tcha!!!:D:D

They do say practice makes perfect and I'm getting plenty of practice :no:

smiife
5th February 2013, 07:15 PM
hi WH.
nice looking bowl ,shame about the dig in:~
could you not fill it in with some sawdust
and ca.
cheers smiife:2tsup:

mark david
5th February 2013, 07:48 PM
Hi,am I right in thinking all the flying saucer sightings are down to you wood turners ?:o

wood hacker
5th February 2013, 08:09 PM
hi WH.
nice looking bowl ,shame about the dig in:~
could you not fill it in with some sawdust
and ca.
cheers smiife:2tsup:

I've already parted it off and as the hole goes right through it would make it hard to refinish the inside. However if it doesn't warp too much during drying I'm going to see if I can fill it with CA and sawdust or coffee grounds or maybe some tinted resin. We'll just have to see how it goes.

ian thorn
5th February 2013, 08:28 PM
Coffee ginds look good and you can finish it off on a vac chuck. did you learn any thing about distractions when i dont want to be i set the alarm on my door

cheers Ian

Sawdust Maker
6th February 2013, 04:10 PM
Bummer and it always happens near the end - just about the time you think "this looks pretty good" kerchang!

wheelinround
6th February 2013, 05:41 PM
Yes know that feeling I hope I have saved mine this afternoon, not as bad but :~