PDA

View Full Version : Sanding and finishing

mat_au
6th February 2013, 11:49 AM
now we all have our own way of doing both just want to see what other people do and try some new ideas my self.

i use dry sanding and lately been doing some wet sanding with water to raise the grain a bit but i know there are some sanding paste that ppl use that im going to research , cant remember what it it something and mineral oil but any ideas would be nice

for finishing i use a Shellawax Cream (http://www.carbatec.com.au/shellawax-cream_c11769) kinda like it, its easy and quick. Ive now just tried danish oil and ill let you know how that turns out.

i finally got my new lathe so been turning a lot of bigger bowls, with my mini lathe could only get to about 8" now with my new lathe been doing 12" to 14" bowls so looking at ways to make sanding and finishing easier, so any ideas and advice would be very nice

Skew ChiDAMN!!
6th February 2013, 12:43 PM
You're right: everyone has their own ways of doing things. :)

But can I suggest that you look at U-Beaut's EEE as a final stage of sanding?

It works very, very well in conjunction with Shellawax or DO - and most other finishes, when used properly. As a bonus, a little bit goes a loooong way, so a tub lasts for ages!

nz_carver
6th February 2013, 03:51 PM
One: U beaut SANDING SEALER
two: U beaut EEE ultra shine
three: U beaut Shella wax cream

use a new rag for each don't use the sane one for all 3

rembember a little goes a long way

mat_au
6th February 2013, 04:00 PM
mmm ill give that a go the main problem im having is in the inside of the bowl the gain rips and you can see it a mile away

smiife
6th February 2013, 07:07 PM
mmm ill give that a go the main problem im having is in the inside of the bowl the gain rips and you can see it a mile away

hi mat,
have you tried a final cut with a freshly sharpened scraper/skew chisel
or what ever you use.you could also stop the lathe and give the torn grain
a rub up with sand paper the opposite way the lathe turns
i agree with the comments above,try the EEE, and also Glow as a finish
it's very good,hope some of this helps
cheers smiife:2tsup:

mat_au
6th February 2013, 09:17 PM
yep tried that its fine before i start sanding its when i start to sand it happens i might be going a bit to course with the sand paper as well

Drillit
7th February 2013, 11:32 AM
Hello mat-au,
If the end grain is tearing and you cant get a clean finish with either a sharp scraper or gouge
can I suggest:-
1. I would go with the scraper again (freshly ground) and get into a high trailing position so that you are taking off a very light cut. Depending on size etc of piece
I would sensibly increase the rpm's a little.
2. Then dampen inside of bowl with water on cloth and let it dry to raise the grain.
3. Then sand through the grits - suggest only 180, 240, 320 and 400, but make sure you are sanding at fairly low rpm's - say (sight unseen) not more
than 300.
Hope that helps, but others may have alternatives. Drillit.

mat_au
7th February 2013, 01:01 PM
thanks mate ill give that a go on my next bowl

dr4g0nfly
8th February 2013, 06:27 AM
I found a source of U beaut EEE ultra shine here in the UK about 6 months ago.

I'll support anyone who says it's the thing to use as I fell in love with it's capability instantly.

chuck1
8th February 2013, 09:15 AM
it also depends on what your making, I turned tapered balusters at work last week and they were a 120 finish for painting once finished with lathe on I then gave them a big sand with the grain. I think they should be a 150 finish but I'm not the boss! I also use the EEE at home after sanding to 800 dry on my pens each grade gets a sand with the grain. gave a pen to my doctor and he must be interested in timber as he put on his magnifying head set to have a close look and said impressive there is no scratches!

chuck1
8th February 2013, 09:31 AM
also with your torn grain on bowls try and bump the speed up abit, I go up half a pulley. not good for the belt but it can save you lots of sanding time