PDA

View Full Version : GIDGEE

Trev
3rd November 2000, 12:21 AM
FIRST OF ALL I WOULD LIKE TO SAY HELLO TO ALL,AS THIS IS THE FIRST TIME FOR ME ON THIS SITE.IF ANYONE CAN HELP ME AS I'M TRYING TO FIND SOME SORT OF INFO ON DIFFERENT WOODS & THE EFFECTS IT CAN CAUSE.AS I'VE JUST FINISHED TURNING A BOWL OUT OF GIDGEE AND WITH IN 24 HRS I FELT A BIT OFF COLOUR & A SEVERE HEAD ACHE LIKE MIGRAINE.ANY INFO WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

REGARDS
TREV

RETIRED
3rd November 2000, 07:23 AM
Gooday.

Welcome to the board.

A few tips: First off, all capitals is considered shouting. Secondly, you are an apprentice until you have posted 20 times, after that you become a full member.

Neil had a page on the effects of timber on the main site but I am hanged if I can find it. He is in the process of upgrading the site and it may not be there yet. If it is he will soon tell us http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/biggrin.gif and call me an idiot. http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

Foundit: BADWOODS (http://www.ubeaut.com.au/badwood.htm)

Enjoy.

------------------
Ian () Robertson
"We do good turns every day"

[This message has been edited by (edited 03 November 2000).]

[This message has been edited by ubeaut (edited 05 November 2000).]

MJ
3rd November 2000, 10:33 PM
Trev

Welcome to the Board. You will find this site, as I did, a rich and valuable source of information. Unfortunately, the jokes aren't up to the standard of the turning! (especially 's!)..........(and possibly Neil's)

If you take away one piece of advice out of all you find here, take this one...Don't mess with your health. If your lungs were meant to breathe wood dust you would have been born with very hairy nostrils (or something.)

There are a lot of woods out there which can hurt you if you breathe the dust. When I say "hurt" I mean big time toxicity. It makes a lot of sense to put a barrier between the dust and your lungs. At the very least get yourself a mask. If you can afford it, get one of those amazingly effective (but ridiculously priced) battery operated jobs.

It is very possible that the dangers of breathing wood dust are not yet all identified. It's just not worth taking silly chances.

Regards

Jacko

Jim Carroll
4th November 2000, 12:12 AM
You will find all sorts of timbers will give you all sorts of different afflictions whether they are skin related or breathing related. As time goes by you will find out what affects you . But the bottom line is wear the best breathing protection you can afford and common sense prevails

The Blond http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/rolleyes.gif

[This message has been edited by (edited 04 November 2000).]

Trev
4th November 2000, 08:13 AM
Thank you all for your help and advise much appreciated,i do wear a mask but obviously not an affective one. sorry for shouting it was not intended.

regards
Trev

John Thuijs
6th November 2000, 11:48 AM
As usual all I have is questions. I am about to buy a mask with a filter. Like most of us who wood turn as a low cost !! hobby (once you have all the gear, I cannot afford one of those ridiculously priced Racal masks. I plan to buy a respirator with one or two filters over the mouth and nostril type mask. Can anyone tell me if there are some of these to steer away from? What are they like to work in? Is it easier to breath with the two filters instead of the one? They seem to be very closely priced. I have seen the Panos brand for just under $22 with only 20 cents between the single and double filter model!

------------------
John Thuijs

Iain
6th November 2000, 05:39 PM
I made the mistake of buying a single cartridge Norton some years ago, comfortable and efficient (still have it) but the cartridge is located in line with your nose and I found it was in my line of sight. Bought a twin cartridge and overcame the problem. Be aware of line of sight which is something that is rarely thought of when trying one for size.

John Saxton
6th November 2000, 09:05 PM
Hi Trev,please, if you get anything positive out of this BB it will be in the advice of many turners and woodworkers who will only give you the goods relative to their experiences.
Whatever you do beg,borrow,or whatever you do, spend whatever it needs in relation to your comfort now and for the future.OK the full Racal helmets are expensive but they provide a modicum of protection that can only be regarded as paramount.
It's too late to find out later that you have a health problem and I have seen it before where good turners have been struggling to breathe whilst waiting to die!
If you love what you do in the workshop enjoy it while considering your health.
Sorry to Pontificate but not enough emphasis can be stressed in this regard.
Cheers http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

Lance
7th November 2000, 12:42 AM
Hi John,
Regarding respirators

I like the MSA Comfo elite series, these provide a wide seal area which I find is comfortable for long periods.

To test the seal (and correct operation of the exhalation valve) - this should be done every time you put on the mask. After donning your mask, place your palms over the respirator filters and attempt to inhale. If the seal is good you cannot inhale until you remove your palms. if the seal is bad air will leak past the mask/face seal. If the exhalation valve is faulty or incorrectly fitted air will leak past it.
(ok everyone, remove your palms from the filters now http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/biggrin.gif)

When sizing any mask in the shop make sure the mask seals well but doesn't push too firmly on the bridge of your nose, as it will hurt after an hour or so of continuous wearing. The mask should not move while it is properly fitted on your face.

Take the mask with you when buying replacement filters as there is more than one cartridge size for some respirators. It might pay to phone a few stores to see if replacement filters are readily available for the models you are considering.

Cartridges are not interchangeable (brand x filters will not fit brand y respirators) so choose carefully.

Choose the correct cartridge for the job, the cartridges you use when sanding may not be any good when spray painting.

Some manufacturers specify very frequent filter changes (30 mins or even less depending on filters used and environmental conditions) so this may be a factor on your purchase.

cheers,
Lance

hook
7th November 2000, 07:55 AM
John,
I to am struggling with the cost of starting from scratch. I am using a Sundstrom SR100 respirator for the time being. They are a bit dearer than the Panos you mentioned but are a good respirator.
If you use the "pre-filters" over the main particle filter, you will extend the life greatly of your main cartridge. The pre-filters are cheap and these get changed often,saving your main cartridge from an early grave.

regards

Hook.

Jeff
20th November 2000, 04:29 PM
so true that taking a short-cut in this area is not wise. whatever system you adopt remember it shoould a allow proper face protection...i.e. a full face shield. I recently obtained a "power hood" and it is great. The only complaint is the noise of the fan, but that is so much better than breathing dust it really doesn't matter. As soon as I turn on my lathe it is inaudible anyway. It is great to have fresh air blowing across my face, and the shield only fogs up briefly if my shop is cool. The battery is a little small and should be charged regularly. Best tho' is I only paid $160 (american) for it. I suggest that if you get one of these, get the package of overlays to protect the faceshield. A healthy woodturner is always happier.....

------------------
"Turnimg wood into treasures"