PDA

View Full Version : Domus tips

mic-d
19th April 2005, 04:37 PM
Does anybdy else have the old Domus book "French Polishing * Stains and Staining" ? It makes fascinating reading, learning about how things used to be done (and still are in some instances) and how people managed soon after the war, when there must have been so many shortages. Two of my favourite hints and tips are "Asbestos paint:Mix asbestos powder with distemper vehicle. Use 10% Paris White to secure purity of colour" and "Varnish for Plaster Casts: Half an ounce of tin, the same of bismuth, and fuse in a crucible. When well dissolved add half an ounce of mercury. This recipe when mixed with the white of one egg makes a beautiful varnish for plaster casts"
If you want more folks, I'll post em up. :)
cheers
Michael

nine fingers
19th April 2005, 05:40 PM
Yes I have one, must be at least 53 years old. Grand cost of 3 shillings if you can rember back to those days.
Nine Fingers

markharrison
19th April 2005, 10:13 PM
Gee mic-d, all those healthy ingredients: asbestos and mercury! Sometimes the old way is not the right way.

I am interested in old methods its just that we do need to be a little cautious.

Harry72
19th April 2005, 10:27 PM
Well I could get you some bismuth from work... as used in SWMBO war paint(makeup!)