PDA

View Full Version : Wood fur

bladelle
19th April 2005, 04:39 PM
Under the floor I have found some water damage which has created the wood to fur up. These are planks of Kari, can anybody suggest what I could treat it with.

Thanks

Brent

Daddles
19th April 2005, 08:17 PM
Give it a shave? Anti flea treatment?

Sorry mate, I can't help you. There are epoxy products that might help but these are out of my area of knowledge. Asking your local boat shop, one that works with wooden boats, might help. In the meantime, remember that the amber fluid may not fix the problem but it does ease you stress at considering the situation :D

Cheers
Richard

graemet
19th April 2005, 09:43 PM
Step 1. Dry it out, stick it in the sun for a few days until it is bone dry.
Step 2. Paint it with a couple of coats of thinned varnish and allow it to soak in well. You can also use epoxy (thin) as in WEST system.
Step 3. When all is bone dry (again) sand back the fur, put a finish coat of whatever to prevent further water damage.
Step 4. Put the deck back so you can't see it.
Cheers
Graeme

graemet
19th April 2005, 09:44 PM
Sorry, one more IMPORTANT step. Find out where the water was coming from and plug the leak.
Cheers,
Graeme

Dave in Malanda
23rd April 2005, 01:18 AM
It could be just that moisture has raised the grain on unsealed timber . If it's still got good density , then just dry it out and paint it .

If it's pithy or spongy , then you'll need to coat it with Everdure . This is made by International paints and is designed to add density to dry rotted timber , particularly in marine applications. It's a thin two part epoxy that really soaks in to the timber . Cures overnight and can be painted .

Dave