PDA

View Full Version : Small 3phase motor score

BobL
10th February 2013, 04:16 PM
I picked up a lovely little 1HP 3Phase FASCO motor from Gumtree for $30.
It says it is a 240V/415V Delta/Wye connection.
This means it runs 240V 3phase on Delta and 415v 3hpase on Wye, so perfect for a 240 single phase to 240 V 3 phase VFD.
I think I will use it on my Hercus 9" which is currently running a 1/2 HP with VSD.

The connections look like this (It's currently wired in Wye config.
http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=253663&stc=1

On the back of the terminal cover plate the instructions look like this
http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=253662&stc=1

This is the first time I have seen such clear instructions on how to connect up in either delta or wye.

I wish all my other motors were this well marked.

Cheers
BobL

artme
10th February 2013, 08:56 PM
You don't really need that do you Bob??

I have a really good use for it!! Promise!!:D:p

BobL
10th February 2013, 09:26 PM
You don't really need that do you Bob??

I have a really good use for it!! Promise!!:D:p

You are officially the 3rd person who has a really good use for it!

BobL
1st March 2013, 04:25 PM
This morning I picked up a Leeson 1.5HP dual 3phase voltage [ 240V(delta)415(Star)] motor for $30.
This one has some surface rust on the exterior but otherwise looks pretty good.
Might put this one on my DP.

Thus far the prices I have paid for 3 Phase motors are
2 free
1 @ $20
2 @ $30
2 @ $35 including a 5HP jobbie
1 @ $70

artme
2nd March 2013, 11:34 AM
MUSt you skite????:B

BobL
2nd March 2013, 12:24 PM
MUSt you skite????:B

No - but I will anyway.:p

simonmags
4th March 2013, 10:51 AM
where did you get your VSD/VFD from, I am looking at getting my bandsaw going on a VFD/VSD, it is currently Delta wired. http://www.woodworkforums.com/f27/centauro-450nl-166960/

Good job on picking up those cheap as 3 phase motors too. Garage sales?

Bushmiller
4th March 2013, 11:04 AM
This morning I picked up a Leeson 1.5HP dual 3phase voltage [ 240V(delta)415(Star)] motor for $30.
This one has some surface rust on the exterior but otherwise looks pretty good.
Might put this one on my DP.

Thus far the prices I have paid for 3 Phase motors are
2 free
1 @ $20
2 @ $30
2 @ $35 including a 5HP jobbie
1 @ $70

Bob

Have you used or attempted to use the 5HP motor yet? The reason I ask is I have had some 20amp outlet 240V power points installed and in theory they will run a 5HP motor. However the starting current can be an issue.

With a VFD attached it occured to me that a motor of this size may well be possible on 20amp single phase, particularly if it is started unloaded or lightly loaded.

Regards
Paul

BobL
4th March 2013, 11:58 AM
Hi Paul,

The 5HP motor is going to run a belt on Stroke sander at the milling yard.

I will be using a 3Phase to 3Phase VfD on this one.

BTW; One advantage of using a VFD is you can perform a soft start so high starting current is not a issue.

Cheers
Bob

Bob

Have you used or attempted to use the 5HP motor yet? The reason I ask is I have had some 20amp outlet 240V power points installed and in theory they will run a 5HP motor. However the starting current can be an issue.

With a VFD attached it occured to me that a motor of this size may well be possible on 20amp single phase, particularly if it is started unloaded or lightly loaded.

Regards
Paul

Bushmiller
4th March 2013, 02:15 PM
Thanks Bob,

You have confirmed what I thought to be the case. Nice looking score on those motors btw.

Regards
Paul

BobL
8th March 2013, 08:12 PM
Sorry I only just saw this.

where did you get your VSD/VFD from, I am looking at getting my bandsaw going on a VFD/VSD, it is currently Delta wired. http://www.woodworkforums.com/f27/centauro-450nl-166960/

I have 5 VSDs,
The one on my MW lathe is a 1.5kW SAJ - it's a cut above the Huanyangs but it also cost twice the price of the Huanyangs
Then I have 3 Huanyang 1.5 kW, One of these is on my WW lathe, one is headed for my DP and one YTBD.
And a 3kW Huanyang that is going on a belt sander

Good job on picking up those cheap as 3 phase motors too. Garage sales?
One was a word of mouth - the others were all on gumtree.

BobL
8th March 2013, 08:38 PM
I finally got some shed time today and put the 1HP FASCO motor on the Hercus.

Before I pulled the old motor off the Hercus I thought I had better bench test the FASCO so I wired up my spare Huanyang 1.5kW VSD and the FASCO motor.

Being too eager to start everything I just wired everything up, checked continuities and earths and then fired up the VSD.

The motor started turning, and turning, and accelerating and then in that sort of SLOOOOOWWWW MOE way I watched the frequency head over 120 Hz it made a whining screaming sound and then stopped - fortunately the VSD had enough smarts to turn itself and the motor off. No smoke or burning smell was detected.

All of the previous VSDs I have dealt with have been factory set to 50 Hz max as base and operating frequencies..

This one was not - the base and operating frequecies were both set to 400 Hz. I doubt it got anywhere near this frequency - it might have got to 200Hz?

So lesson number one - check these frequencies before you start.

After reseting I fired it up again and all ran OK except the VSD and the motor emitted a low level but irritating whistle at all frequencies a bit louder @ 50 Hz but it quietened down at 60 Hz and then came back after that.

I thought it might be the motor fan so I briefly took that off but no change.

With not much to loose I replaced the motor on the Hercus and connected it to its SAJ VSD.

Both the Motor and SAJ ran a lot quieter - there is still a faint whistle but it's not as loud as with the Huanyang.

The one thing the SAJ does do now that it did not do before is make a PEEEP sound when the motor stops.

Phil Spencer
9th March 2013, 02:49 PM
Its called Star not Wye
240V 3 phase Delta and 415V 3 phase star
Also sounds like you had a harmonics issue, this happens a lot with Chinese made equipment.

BobL
12th March 2013, 01:32 AM
Also sounds like you had a harmonics issue, this happens a lot with Chinese made equipment.
This morning I connected the Huanyang 1.5kW VSD to a Leeson 1.5Hp motor.
Interestingly the combo was much quieter than the Huanyang 1.5kW VSD and the FASCO motor.

Also picked up two CMG 3 phase 240V motors.
A brand new 2HP model, and a lightly used 1/5 HP model I', thinking about using it in a variable speed rock polisher for SWMBO

Phil Spencer
12th March 2013, 09:01 AM
This morning I connected the Huanyang 1.5kW VSD to a Leeson 1.5Hp motor.
Interestingly the combo was much quieter than the Huanyang 1.5kW VSD and the FASCO motor.

Also picked up two CMG 3 phase 240V motors.
A brand new 2HP model, and a lightly used 1/5 HP model I', thinking about using it in a variable speed rock polisher for SWMBO

You have stumbled on an issue with motors and inverters that is well known throughout the industry, there is no definitive reason why some motors will develop bad harmonic issues in certain drives. it can be the lamination's, slot design in the rotor or stator stacks, it can be the type of steel used in the manufacture of the lamination's or any of a bag full of other reasons.

Using a quality motor like the Leeson will help although they may be built in China they are built to a tighter standard than the cheaper brands. Most of the cheaper motors are all built to a standard Chinese design the only difference between brands is the nameplate, it is common for a factory to turn out several different brands of motor all with different nameplates, us poor consumers don't know the difference.

Before I am shot down over the above comment, I am speaking from 25 years experience in selling the rotten things. My advice is if you want to use a motor on a variable speed drive go for ane with a European brand like ABB, Leroy Somner, Leeson, Teco and Toshiba are OK also, stay away from the Chinese brands.