PDA

View Full Version : GMC tools

vca630
19th April 2002, 10:04 PM
would like to know what gmc tools are like especially table saws.thanks to all replies.

Iain
20th April 2002, 06:27 AM
I have the biscuit jointer and I find it is OK, the first one had an alignment problem with the fence and moved up and down with left and right ttracks on different teeth. Got a replacement and no problems. Dust extractor bag is useless as all the chips jam in the outlet port so I work without it and clean up afterwards.
Cannot comment on the rest of the range but I seem to recall Neil saying that they are OK and his sone uses a combo set (drill-jigsaw and something else for memory).
One point in their favour, they make Ozito look good.

AAAAHhhhhhhhh.

edit edit.

Ozito make GMC look good.

------------------
: http://community.webshots.com/user/iain49

[This message has been edited by Iain (edited 20 April 2002).]

Kev Y.
20th April 2002, 10:44 PM
I have the GMC cordless hammer drill(14.4 volt) and the router (400watt I think), both work well.

------------------
IF at first you don't succeed, relax your normal.

vca630
21st April 2002, 07:22 PM
Re GMC tools,thanks for words of wisdom fellas,i!m still in the dark about what to buy,only a broken down old amateur who loves wood.Need something to beat stress & keep out of the wifes hair,will set up garage with tools,cant afford a lot but going to try.bye.

Iain
21st April 2002, 08:28 PM
Of course you could sell the golf clubs and buy what you want.
Even try the trading post, clearing sales auctions whatever.
Auctions can be really good and you can get some real bargains. Buy a few extra things then sell them in the trading post and turn a bit of a profit, just don't tell John Howard.
Now, I know where there is a big blue lathe for sale...........

------------------

soundman
22nd April 2002, 10:13 PM
as with all of the cheap tools you need to decide what sort of quality you will be happy with.
I have a GMC drop saw, it is simple crude and noisy, i only use it to cut firewood.
If you want a nice table saw i think you would be disapointed by most of the cheaper little table saws from the hardwares there is some real good value to be had from about $700 up from places like hare & forbes, carbatec, and a number of similar establishments sus it out bang em on the sides and top and think is this a saw bench i would be happy with.

oges
23rd April 2002, 06:48 PM
I have a GMC cordless drill, jigsaw, orbital sander and scrollsaw. They are not too bad for the money paid for them and for my usage of them. I wish I had gotten a better scrollsaw but I didnt have much choice over that one.

Brett

vca630
23rd April 2002, 08:27 PM
Iain,Brudda,Doorstop,Soundman,Oges,Reading through your comments are interesting. It appears as if the Biscuit Jointer,Cordless Hammer Drill,Router,Drill,Jigsaw,Orbital Sander,are ok! Drop Saw ? mark,Scroll Saw doubtful,and no to the Power Saw.Now what about Table saws?

Iain
23rd April 2002, 08:52 PM
What table saw ?????

------------------

Kev Y.
23rd April 2002, 09:53 PM
What Iain said..

Dennis Hill
24th April 2002, 08:23 AM
I had a look at their contractor's saw and it did not seem to bad. the fence was primitive but the blade arbour had little play in it. There is a smaller version that will sit on a bench that seems ok at less than $100 at woolies. There is a 30 day satisfaction guarantee on GMC tools so if you do not like the thing-take it back. They also have a 1300/local call cost help line staffed by real people that can make decisions etc and give advice. That alone says something about being customer friendly.
Give then a go, you have 30 days to try out the product. Mr Makita is not so generous.
Dennis Hill.

Vonrek
25th April 2002, 01:22 PM
If you mean the little table saw that you can get at bunnies or Big W I'd keep away from it. I do not own one but have toyed with the idea, because of the price and good experience that i have had with the GMC drill and 900W router (very similar to the ones popping up in all the WW magazines under the name of powerdevil or the like and receiving good reviews in relation to value for money). But have a very good look at the table saw before you consider buying. The blade height adjustment is via lifting or lowering the table using four independant slides with locking screws. I doubt you could get a very accurate height setting with this set up. The other problem is the rip guide which looks equally impossible to set accurately making the whole thing potentially very dangerous.

I have never seen any larger kind of Table saw in the GMC range. The genearl advice seems to be wait, save and buy something a bit more robust and accurate, a Triton maybe?? When you consider the importance and potential danger of a table saw its probaly not one of those pieces of equipment you should go ultra-cheap on.

If you very desparate to get some kind of power saw set up have a look at www.popularmechanics.com (http://www.popularmechanics.com) for free plans on converting a circular saw into a crosscut saw or drop/chop saw. Search for saw jigs or the author of the articles - Rosario Capotosto.

Cheers, Tim

Iain
25th April 2002, 01:51 PM
Even Ryobi have a tablesaw for about $400.00, 2hp and probably a far better proposition. CArbatec have a diect drive saw with a damned good fence for about $800.00.

soundman
25th April 2002, 07:01 PM
one thing you should think about when buying a table saw.
What are my fingers worth?
If the saws safety features are up to scratch the rest of the machine probably is too.

Eastie
26th April 2002, 10:31 AM
Soundman - Don't get fooled in false economies of "saw safety" when dealing with table saws. A properly setup table saw that would comply fully with most states oh&S (plant) regulations generally won't show up at bunnings and the like.

soundman
28th April 2002, 07:37 PM
I wasn't particularly speaking about legal compliance.
I was more refreing to good basic design.
IE reasonable efforts at a stable fence and more than a token effort blade guard, a riving knife would be nice.
While i'm no great fan of the triton gear at least the more recent stuff seems to be basicaly safe.

[This message has been edited by soundman (edited 28 April 2002).]

vca630
29th April 2002, 10:50 PM
Re GMC tools replies,Thanks a lot everyone i appreciated your words of wit and wisdom,went mad and brought all gmc brand tools,small t saw,larger t saw,scroll saw,router,planer,sander,jigsaw,mitre saw,hammer drill,battery drill,did a quid all up but could not wait as im doing up inside an old house quickly for sale.what tools i had was past their best.hope these last a while anyhow.I really enjoyed your comments.Thanks again.

vca630
1st May 2002, 09:52 PM
Thank you Doorstop.

tonks
10th May 2002, 02:11 AM
All my power tools with the exception of my table saw are GMC: router, sander lathe, drillstand, jigsaw etc.

The only exception is my tablesaw (10" Sherwood),handdrill(Sher) and dust extractor.
I have found no reason to fault any of them yet.

Mind you I am still very much a beginner http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

regards,

Allen

vca630
12th May 2002, 11:36 PM
Tonks thanks for your reply,i have found teir tools ok for what i need,sorry for doubling your reply on the board i got lost with the buttons,good thing i was not on a saw,also thanks to Iain and Doorstop for letting me know about my blunder.cheers.